[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/an/, how do i into dogs? i only ever had cats growing up, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1445878607510.jpg (316 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
1445878607510.jpg
316 KB, 560x560
/an/, how do i into dogs? i only ever had cats growing up, and i would REALLY like to own a dog (maybe a greyhound, shiba inu, or german shepherd? you guys probably know better than i do).

i have no idea how to train a dog, though; do most people like bring their dogs to dedicated trainers to get the basics down (jumping up on stuff, not jumping up onto guests, crate training, housebreaking, aggression training if need be), or are you meant to do all that stuff yourself?
>>
>maybe a greyhound, shiba inu, or german shepherd
GSDS AND ESPECIALLY SHIBAS ARE NOT BEGINNER DOGS

>do most people like bring their dogs to dedicated trainers to get the basics down (jumping up on stuff, not jumping up onto guests, crate training, housebreaking, aggression training if need be), or are you meant to do all that stuff yourself?
If you are an inexperienced dog owner or working with a particularly stubborn dog, then you go to classes. If you know what you are doing, then you do it yourself.

I would recommend classes, as a first time down owner myself. They are really beneficial and you learn a lot. Do a group obedience class. They will run you like 30 bucks a class. But other other things like crate training, just watch ZakGeorge on youtube on how to do it.
>>
>>2129587
are gsds and shibas that difficult to care for? i get that there are definitely "beginner dog breeds", but considering that these guys live for at least a decade, i'm hesitant about choosing a breed based solely on ease-of-care
>>
>>2129591
Yes. GSDs require a very active owner with tons of time to give them enough exercise, which is a ton. They will also be violent, aggressive, and even more neurotic if you do not know how to properly socialize a dog. Even further, they are a powerful dog. They can kill people. Do you really think you know what you are doing around a dog capable of taking away a life? I don't mean that as hyperbole as well.

Shibas are just fucking psycho screaming demon-dogs. They are stubborn beyond all belief, and will literally not give two fucks about what you want them to do. They will eat your house and piss and shit all over it because they don't give two fucks about what you want. You need to be a HIGHLY EXPERIENCED dog owner... fuck, they are probably harder than GSDs.

Both of them can be great dogs IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. You have never had a dog. You do not know what you are doing.

Ease-of-care is a huge factor in choosing a dog. It isn't a small one. It should be a major factor for you as a first time owner. You want a dog that is easy to train, and hard to fuck up. A greyhound would be an excellent choice for you.
>>
>>2129591
It's not just about caring for, it's about training. They will not care about you or what you say because you will not know what you're doing.
>>
>>2129597
yeah, the fact that they're big, strong fuckers wasn't at the forefront of my mind, i'll admit; i'm a teeny weeny turbomanlet. odds are the dog would weigh as much as me.

i had no idea shibas were such little shits; are there any other breeds to watch out for? i know supposedly dalmatians are assholes.

>>2129602
yeah, like >>2129597 said, i guess care/training are kind of intertwined.

well, then i guess i'll consider a greyhound; i do like the fact that they're apparently a really old breed. i hadn't known.

i'll bookmark that zakgeorge channel, too; ty anons
>>
Literally the only reason greyhounds are recommended is due to retired raceing dogs. Greyhounds in general were bred for short, very fast sprinting. After that, they tire out quickly. They don't have a a lot of stamina so for the rest of the time they turn to not lazy couch potatoes.
This is not the same for most dog breeds at all. Shibas are fucking shit who do what they want and it takes time and effort for GSDs not to turn into aggressive, neurotic pieces of shit.
If you have never owned dogs you absolutely need to look I to personalities first. Ignore looks entirely. You NEED to look up on what to expect. If you are adopting a mutt, highly consider a trainer before you get one, or any dog really. The last thing you need is a shitty dog shitting every where and trying to attack everyone because you're too much of a dumbass to look into how to train one.
>>
get a cute doggy :3
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.