[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Snake feeding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 9576_3d69.png (137 KB, 500x610) Image search: [Google]
9576_3d69.png
137 KB, 500x610
Feed in habitat vs feed in separate container
pros/ cons
GO
>>
>>2128659

Separate container not necessarily so long as you put the least amount of effort in to training your snek that hand in tank does not = eating time. You can do that in a variety of ways. Mostly just making sure your hands do not smell of mouse from feeding other snakes that day if you have others. Putting your hand on snake for a moment before picking them up. Keeping tools you use for feeding (forceps) out of sight when it isn't a feeding day.

As for swallowed substrate, that's a non-issue. If your snake is a very aggressive constrictor when it grabs the rodent, you may want to put down a piece of butcher's paper in the tank below the spot you intend to wave around the rodent so snake is on the paper when it grabs.

Only if your snake has a habit of snapping at you every single time you open the tank would i consider moving to an outside feeding bin type thing to break that habit.
>>
>>2128667
This anon pretty much covered it all spot on
I've never taken my snakes out to feed and theyve never mistakenly struck at me, I also try to handle all of my snakes 2-4 times a week so that probably helps.

The petsmart I work at makes us put them in a different container to feed and we have alot of snakes who wont eat for the entire duration we have them especially balls. Have had a cornsnake or two who has ended up snapping at a few people because he was never touched besides feeding time though.

Substrate is really a non issue aslong as the food item isnt soaking wet for whatever reason even if your snake swallows a piece of aspen or whatever bedding you choose it shouldn't bother it in the slightest.
>>
>>2128680
>>2128667
occasionally it will strike when im trying to get it out. though its not very aggressive about it.
im not worried about swallowing substrate, theyve gotten this far eating all kinds of shit.
the issue is just the amount of work separate feeding is. have to get it up, off of me, into something, get the food in, close it, then pretty much the reverse and its always nippy after that.
im thinking enough handling would solve any bite related issues if i switch long as i make it apparent when its handling time vs subtly slipping food in or something.
>>
>>2128659
I have 3 corns, and I prefer to feed outside but will feed in the tub for two of them if I'm lazy.

The third one is fucking retarded and will try to eat anything if he's hungry. One time, after I fed him, he poked his head out of the box I was feeding him in and then tried to eat my thigh, and then when I tried to take him off he then tried to eat my knuckles.
>>
>>2128739

Doesn't matter. Breed ETBs for 9 years, owning 11 adults at one time. Did both. No issues either way.
>>
Cons. Got bit yesterday after feeding it 2 days in a row in feeding container. she's never bit me before. as i went to get her yesterday out of the feeding container a few hours after eating she struck twice. pic related.
>>
>>2128680
work at petsmart eh? buying corns from there or petco acceptable?
>>
>>2129107

No.
>>
>>2129130
that's it? no explanation, elaboration? I know breeders have healthier snakes, but is it that big of difference?
>>
>>2129134
The pet chains source their snakes from mass breeders that are not careful about ensuring genetically sound breeding stock. Long term health will be a coin flip. Furthermore, due to the ball python meme corn snakes are not currently in vogue and the price for a common morph from a good breeder is not significantly more expensive than pet chains charge.
>>
Guys, I have a question

I have a few snakes, but I's my new Ball Python that is problematic on feeding day.

I got him two weeks ago, I skipped trying to offer him food until the week after I got him.
>offered him a frozen/thawed rat
>seemed interested in it, but turned away shortly after

One week later, yesterday, I tried to feed him again
>same thing
>even seemed a little scared of the rat

What the fuck is wrong with this boy (or my care)?
Temp range is between 32 to 26°C at day and about 23/24°C at night

Humidity is at about 50% ot a bit lower

as with all my snakes, I gave him two hides

Is it because he is still new?
Or is it because the breeder had him in a Rack and I have him in a Terrarium (only one side is glass)?
Should I try feeding him smaller rats?

All other snakes I have ate pretty quickly after I got them. But I never had a BP, so maybe it's normal?

He ate frozen/thawed all his life and weighs about 400g

Sorry if you don't like me posting stuff like this in this thread, but I figured, it would be a good idea to post in a "snake feeding thread"
>>
>>2129152

That's fairly normal for a bp to be reluctant to feed after moving to a new home. Try putting your thawed rodent in hot water for a couple minutes prior to feeding to heat it. Ask breeder exactly what size rodent snake had been eating to make sure you're offering the same size.

It may help to cover some of the front glass with paper for a while until snake starts eating. And put in an extra hide or two for good measure.
>>
>>2129365

Also give your snek a mist every few days just to make sure it's drinking and not getting dehydrated.
>>
>>2129137
>the price for a common morph from a good breeder is not significantly more expensive than pet chains charge.
It's actually a lot cheaper not including shipping.
>>
Feed in setup. I keep big constrictors and feeding them in the enclosure is pretty much a mandatory safety thing.
>>
>>2129676

I was sort of assuming shipping as part of the cost, but yep. Shipping can be avoided if have a reptile expo in your area. Another that you can do is find an upcoming expo, obtain the list of breeders scheduled to arrive, check out those breeders and perhaps select a snake you'd like beforehand. If the breeder has one available you want, you can pay them a deposit to hold and then arrange to meet that breeder and collect your new friend snek at the expo. This avoids the trouble of showing up blind at an expo and not knowing if what you're looking for will be there.

Alternately, if you have a good reptile specific shop in your area, they are usually amenable to requests. Say, i want this species, this sex, this age, this morph, can you find me one? Often they can without much trouble. This of course assumes a -good- reptile shop and not a shitty one.
>>
>>2129152
Don't be pooshwa and feed live, snake wants to hunt, not be fed.
>>
>>2129865

Bait and also yur a faget.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.