[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Extinct species caused by humans you would like to see revived
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 16
File: cseal01.jpg (13 KB, 400x169) Image search: [Google]
cseal01.jpg
13 KB, 400x169
There is a branch of the LongNow Foundation called Revive&Restore dedicated to reviving extinct species and genetically restore ones that are close to. One of their ongoing projects is the passenger pigeon to revive and the black-footed ferrets to restore.

That being said, what human-caused extinct species would you like to see again?

I would like to see the Caribbean Monk Seal. I live in it's range and I would think it could be really fun to see them on the beaches and docks lying around.
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 500x185) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 500x185
Realistically? Probably either passenger pigeon, dodo, or the Moa
>Passenger pigeons
They should do fine nowadays now that people won't be hunting them just for fun. Current day Americans have learned their lesson and should be capable of restraining themselves enough to keep the animal alive. The buffalo is still alive after all
>Dodo
In the wild? Hell no. They would be killed off in another decade at the most. I feel like they would make good livestock tho. Big, fat, and flightless. Like a chicken that won't fly away if not obese
>Moa
Now that we don't have retarded natives all over NZ they should do fine there. Really, most recently extinct animals went extinct because of carefree colonials and retarded natives. Two ideologies that are mostly gone (Africa and Asia are still chock full of retarded natives).Moa might even do fine in SA.

If you're talking about any extinct animal is want brought back I'd say megatherium in a heartbeat
>>
Steller's Sea Cow.
>>
Mammoths and saber tooth cats are the only creatures worthy of research and funding. All other animals a shit.
>>
>>2117994
Spoken like a true normie
>>
>>2117969
I don't think the public would except massive flocks of pigeons.
>>
File: Kuia.jpg (81 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
Kuia.jpg
81 KB, 720x960
>>2117888

On the list of almost-extinct animals I'd love to see restored: The kakapo.

Imagine a fat, flightless parrot. That's the kakapo. They're also goofy as hell and one tried to fuck Stephen Fry's head.
>>
>>2118009
New york
>>
>>2117969
Maori tried to allow breeding and regeneration but war ruined it
>>
File: Great Auk Audubon.jpg (110 KB, 900x505) Image search: [Google]
Great Auk Audubon.jpg
110 KB, 900x505
I want the arctic equivalent of penguins back.

>>2117981
This too, Alaskan dugongs would be awesome
>>
>>2117969
> I feel like they would make good livestock tho. Big, fat, and flightless. Like a chicken that won't fly away if not obese
I read they taste awful.
>>
>>2118012
From what I understand these dudes are like pandas. Restricted diet and mate once every couple years.
Plus there are still rats and cats on new zealand. So I think even if we could bring more into the wild, I don't think they'd bounce back like we'd want.
>>
>>2117888
I would really like to see Carolina parakeets
>>
File: A4HHo5R-640x537.jpg (33 KB, 640x537) Image search: [Google]
A4HHo5R-640x537.jpg
33 KB, 640x537
Neanderthals
>>
File: ttiger.jpg (113 KB, 516x324) Image search: [Google]
ttiger.jpg
113 KB, 516x324
>>2117888

Tasmanian tigers.

Also every species of literal tiger.
>>
>>2117981
This. Would love to see all Sirenians alive. they are Interesting creatures for being more related to a hyrax than a seal.
>>
>>2118637
This so much.
>>
File: greatauk4.jpg (15 KB, 237x317) Image search: [Google]
greatauk4.jpg
15 KB, 237x317
>>2118056
Just read up about these guys, such a sad and unfortunately typical story. The funny thing is, people kept hunting them even as they saw their numbers drastically dwindle because they believed that there were other large colonies of them further north. One thing I saw said that some bird guides listed them as not being extinct up until 1945, some people just refused to believe it and I guess a few fishermans' claims of having seen some near Greenland only fed this notion. The last confirmed, reliable sighting was in 1852.

So cool, I've heard of them before, but I guess I never realized that they were essentially just northern penguins. I think I saw something saying that they were actually the first birds to be called penguins
>>
>>2118637
It's so weird that pic looks photoshopped or tampered with but then I remember that these thing really could open their mouths that wide

Is it really true that some people in Australia still report seeing them from time to time?
>>
>>2118649
Problem was, the rarer they got, the more people wanted their eggs for their collection. "Oh shit they're nearly all gone, better steal some more eggs instead of letting them hatch and saving the species!"

For all the scientific advances, the Victorians were fucking dipshits when it came to nature.
>>
>>2118652
I feel like auks weren't the only creatures extincted by the Victorians' obsession with rare animal parts but I can't think of any off the top of my head
>>
>>2118637
That's a big ass possum
>>
>>2118637
I feel like all the unique animals had to be the first to go extinct. Like, this is a very unique predator as it is a marsupial, but is so dog like in appearance. Like they have paws instead of the weird opossum "fingers" that many marsupials have. Such a distinct lineage. gone.
>>
File: Bender Cry.gif (3 MB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Bender Cry.gif
3 MB, 500x375
>>2118705
This, so many amazing endemic species have gone extinct. Just look at all the amazing animals on isolated islands that have been replaced by rats, feral hogs and wild dogs
>>
>>2118724
I bet those rats, hogs, and dogs are going to look pretty neat in a few million years.
>>
>>2118651
You mean tasmania. But unfortunately people are stupid

But hope is always around
>>
>>2118039
They hunted the Moa to extinction in less than 100 years
>>
File: haasteagle3[1].jpg (109 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
haasteagle3[1].jpg
109 KB, 500x375
>>2117888
Haast's Eagle

Must have been terrifying to live in a world where there was a fucking eagle big enough to carry you away and eat you
>>
>>2119009
It wouldn't have been able to fly off with someone.
>>
>>2119033
it would if it was a child
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (60 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
60 KB, 1280x720
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baiji

These glorious motherfuckers.
>>
>>2119033
It apparently was capable of killing a grown man, though you're correct that it couldn't carry him off. Wouldn't stop it from eating the corpse on the spot though.
>>
>>2119903

These technically aren't extinct; new evidence suggests there are still 5 or 6 left in the wild. But they're spaced so far apart from each other that there's virtually no chance for them to reproduce unless all of them are captured and taken to a small safe waterway where they can be cared for.
>>
File: Aepyornis.jpg (33 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
Aepyornis.jpg
33 KB, 533x800
>>2120108
That doesn't sound too promising. Also, the elephant bird, which is thought to have been killed off by human activity.
>>
>>2120108
>5 or 6 left in the wild
That's pretty much extinct anyway
>>
>>2117888
None. Let them rest in non-existence.
>>
>>2118061
It doesn't matter, they still produce eggs.
>>
>>2120108
>5 or 6 left in the wild
So, they're extinct.
>>
>>2120706
We're not talking about reviving dead animals.
>>
"The Carolina parakeet or Carolina conure was a small green neotropical parrot with a bright yellow head, reddish orange face and pale beak native to the eastern, midwest and plains states of the United States and was the only indigenous parrot within its range. It was found from southern New York and Wisconsin to Kentucky, Tennessee and the Gulf of Mexico, from the Atlantic seaboard to as far west as eastern Colorado. It lived in old-growth forests along rivers and in swamps."

>tfw no wild parrots to befriend and eventually keep as a voluntary companion
>>
Stegosaurus
>>
>>2121773
>tfw they litterally died for being too friendly
>>
Rocky Mountain locust. The biggest swarm of these on record contained around 12.5 trillion locusts. That's a lot of locust.

In fact, if I ever become a supervillain I'm definitely going to ride on top of a cloud of these things. My only rival will be the Passenger Pigeon Man and his own swarm of locust-eating birds.
>>
>>2117994
>being okay with mediocre meme animals
Andrewsarchus would fucking wreck a bitch ass sabertooth.
>>
File: AudubonCarolinaParakeet2.jpg (240 KB, 747x1024) Image search: [Google]
AudubonCarolinaParakeet2.jpg
240 KB, 747x1024
>>2121773
that one is one of the best taxidermy I've seen
>>
Do you think if these animals were alive, would we still be fascinated by them or would they just become like any other animal?
>>
>>2123669
To clarify, I meant my question as if we would still romanticise them or is it the fact that they are extinct which adds the sense of mysticism to them?
>>
>>2117969
>most recently extinct animals went extinct because of carefree colonials and retarded natives.
that's wrong. it's overwhelmingly habitat destruction. Passenger pigeons were not hunted to extinction, they just could not live outside of tremendous flocks with more tremendous untouched forests to support them.
>>
>>2123671
We wouldn't actually give a shit about most of them if they had never gone extinct.

I'm sure the few unique ones like the Tasmanian tiger, dodo, and the various megafauna would still be popular though.
>>
The dodo
I freaking want to keep one as a pet!
>>
>>2123734
They were apparently docile enough, still, I wouldn't trust a bird with that big a beak

Might bite a finger off if you piss it off

But then again what pet couldn't fuck you up if you pissed it off? Even cats can scratch the shit out of you
>>
>>2123669
We would at least have to give a shit about the passenger pigeon, given their numbers.

They would also give a shit about us, I think. A lot of shit. Think "poopstorm" level of shit, given the way these things swarm.
>>
>>2123827
Yeah the first time you walk outside and your car is covered in bird shit you'll grab your shotgun and send them back to hell
>>
>>2123862
Yeah, as soon as the passenger pigeon population become swarms, it would definitely go extinct again.
>>
>>2120116
fun fact: moas actually had their head bent forward, moving their neck more more like a sauropod rather than an ostrich. Their skeleton are built uptight just for size display
>>
>>2120108
so if there are a few left, why don't we capture them and breed them and control the species in captivity, instead of letting it die in the wild?
>>
>>2123953
Because they live in the Yangtze, and Yangtze is pretty much the Ankh.

You can walk across it on a good day. Good luck finding dolphins in it.
>>
>>2123956
if it's so shallow, they shouldn't be hard to find.
>>
>>2117888
What species?
All of them.
It's always sad when a species of animal goes extinct.
>>
>>2123961
6 or 7 dolphins is still nowhere near enough individuals to bring the entire species back. Inbreeding will inevitably happen and they'll go extinct due to birth defects
>>
>>2125009
Somewhere there's a species of ant that went extinct X number of years ago, and I couldn't care less if it ever made a comeback somehow.
>>
>>2118552
Anon,did you SEE that sitcom? No. Just no.
>>
>>2117888
seals are just rats with fins
>>
>>2125040
Ehh, inbreeding isn't an automatic death sentence; some species have managed to bounce back from a ridiculously small population with no ill effects. (Mainly looking at the Black Robin; all birds alive descend from one female and four males, BUT those birds are also thought to have survived population crashes before so they have a leg up)

But yeah, the Baji almost certainly would be fucked if they tried bringing it back from 6 or 7 dolphins. The biggest thing for me is habitat; even if you bred hundreds with no problems, their habitat is fucked regardless so where the hell would you put them?
>>
>>2126039
What are you talking about?
>>
>>2127421
not that guy but there was an awful Geico commercial that was greenlit as a fucking show. a horrible, horrible show.

that being said yeah bring back the neanderthals. those autistic big brows with today's calorie abundance would probably develop a warp drive in no time and take us to alpha centauri
>>
I would mostly want super clean waters again.
>>
>>2118637
>>2118651
There was a decent movie about this. William Dafoe was in it, think it was called The Hunter or something
>>
>>2118649
In French and some other languages, auks (the defunt great and still living and flying small) are "pingouins" while penguins are "manchots" (=one armed)
>>
File: Sea-Mink-Photos.jpg (230 KB, 1024x1184) Image search: [Google]
Sea-Mink-Photos.jpg
230 KB, 1024x1184
Why not sea mink?
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.