[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to cut ties with my parents
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 480x433) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 480x433
Im 24, female.
I live alone, and my parents were the reason i moved out.
While they raised me with everything i needed, they are extremely disrespectful, irrational people. They live in their own world and what they believe in and anyone who tells them any different is automatically wrong, its driving me crazy, and im trying to focus on work, studies and relationships with people, but they make it so hard for me.
Imagine your parents ask yoy for your opinion about something but when you disagree with them, you automatically dont know what you're talking about. It has been like that for me through all of my life.
Im thinking about cutting ties because talking with them about it didnt help.. I know its a harsh choice to make but i just dont know what to do anymore.
>>
What kinds of things are you disagreeing on? Are you mad they didn't like your new undercut and septum piercing or is this actually legitimate
>>
Sounds like the apple does not fall far from the tree

>my parents are jerks they think they're right all the time!

>I hate my parents they never think I'm right

Get over yourself. You owe everything to your parents. Go get a job and move out. I promise after a few years your relationship will increase ten fold.
>>
>>17167227
I dont have and undercut or piercings, thank you.
Right now we're disagreeing on how to help my brother who still lives with them with his anxiety attacks and lack of sleep.
They think its a good idea to just let him take various kinds of pills against it until it all goes away, and i think he should go see a shrink to help his problem from the root.
But what i suggested is not what the doctor told them, even though i have a friend who's had the exact same problem and seeing a shrink helped her.
It's basically both of them thinking therapy is bullshit and a waste of time.
>>
>>17167243
You're quick to judge others.
How about you read everything and actually understand the situation before telling me to get a job and move out while i specifically said im not living with them?
>>
>>17167259
Then why is this a issue?

There is no reason to "cut ties" as you say. Go live your life and become your own woman, checking in on mom and dad every now and then.

You just sound like you NEED their approval.

You're not a little girl anymore. Adults don't agree about everything. Even if you know you're in the right, get used to it. It's gonna happen again.
>>
I'm a guy with a very similar problem. After like 8 months of no contact, things got better for a bit.
So, I'd say give it a few months of no contact and maybe things will improve (if they miss you)
Otherwise yeah cut contact but, who is gonna have your back when thing fall apart?

tl;dr if that's what you feel you must do. Then do it.
>>
>>17167276
Why are you so condescending? And you just keep on proving that you either skipped a lot of important points in what i first wrote or you simply have trouble reading. Read and collect your information carefully, then offer your take on the matter.

>>17167282
Thank you.
The problem is that my mom is often worried about me for no reason and calls me a lot.
I'd like to think my friends could help if anything would happen. Who's gonna have your back when they wont be here anymore?
>>
>>17167300
I suppose its natural for moms to always check up on them.
And in my life I know friends seldom help out.
>>
>>17167251
your method blows dick, medication to solve anxiety and lack of sleep is going to give better results faster. Try suggesting a combination of both instead of just your hippie shit.
>>
>>17167243
>>17167309
This anon is just taking the piss.

I would not cut ties entirely as it might create even more drama than you'd be up for (parents have a knack for that)

Move out, keep in touch with them through phone or whatever, but I wouldn't ever count on them for personal advice or anything of the sort or even raise it with them for that matter.
>>
>>17167309
If by 'hippie' you mean acknowleging that taking a daily dose of pills is really bad for you, then sure call me a hippie.
Not to mention that anxiety can come from a deep rooted problem people arent even aware of. Why wouldnt you want to take care of that once and for all instead of making you feel better for 2 seconds until the next anxiety attack comes?
>>
>>17167222
>Imagine your parents ask yoy for your opinion about something but when you disagree with them, you automatically dont know what you're talking about.
I feel you.

You say you have moved out but your parents are still making your live hard for you, how so?
>>
>>17167347
if you look above you'll see
>The problem is that my mom is often worried about me for no reason and calls me a lot.

this motherfucker is upset because their mom calls her. is this serious?
>>
>>17167371
I think what OP really wants to ask is, if there is any way to salvage the relationship with parents. Cutting the ties is easy, just throw your phone into the nearest ditch. As for getting along with parents I don't know, I'm starting to think there are people who are simply unreasonable and there is nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>17167243
OP has moved out by herself. Read the paragraph.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.