[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Walmart have a generally bad reputation? Most reviews
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Why does Walmart have a generally bad reputation? Most reviews I see generally shit on Walmart. It's why I was terrified to work there after I had gotten laid off, after all I heard about walmart. But it's honestly not bad. I work 40 hours a week and everyone prettymuch loves me. Nothing bad here at all. Lots of employee teamwork. Where do the bad reviews come from, and why?
>>
>>17166624

It's not the employees. It's the customers. Most Walmarts attract garbage people. Garbage people tend to be stupid and not know how to shop without getting angry. Every step of theshopping experience they have to involve an associate and act like they're valuable people who deserve personal service. Those people are actual proles and vent on yelp when minimum wage workers can't serve them like actual slaves.

Online reviews and abusing sales associates is an outlet for their own frustrations. They're poor and stupid and life's been rigged against them ever becoming smart/financially stable so they lash out online. Also other people who aren't this way enter this toxic environment and feel uncomfortable around the shitbag customers and harried employees.
>>
>>17166624
Walmarts in rich communities are generally very good, Walmarts in poor communities attract the absolute scum of humanity.

it's more about location than the store itself.
>>
>>17166637
This made me laugh. I imagined some ungabunga caveman guy stomping around and needing associates to hold his hand every step of the way, like a baby.

I love when customers can go by me, looking at merchandise, and not even talk to me. As if they're not stupid and they actually know what they want. Those are the best. I still try to ask all customers if they need any help though, especially the ones that look lost.

My department is right next to the photo center so I get a phenomenal amount of customers asking to pick up their photos. Because I had to, I requested to be trained in photo stuff too. The real
photo/electronics associates are all over the place, so that's why customers always come to me
>>
What do if you work in a superstore type environment in a garbage-filled area like mentioned?

I currently work at a Target in NYC and all it attracts is scum. The worst is that I'm the cart attendant, so all of my coworkers treat me like I'm retarded AND the majority of the customers are so lazy that they'll consider a cart "dirty" because it has one plastic bag in it. ಠ_ಠ
>>
>>17166670

Another reason why Walmart gets bad reviews. You're a smart person and took initiative to learn something to make your job easier. Walmart the company doesn't necessarily reward that type of initiative because rising in ranks/getting a full raise when your review comes up tends to be based on how popular you are with your superiors (like any job really). I bet you some of your coworkers don't show the same initiative either because they're not offered enough incentive to do so or they're not very educated/smart and wouldn't think to approach their job like that.

Low incentives to be a fantastic employee combined with customers who want to think they're shopping at Saks 5th Ave in terms of service they suspect = a toxic combination.
>>
>>17166699

you use the resentment to go to community college/learn a trade to get you away from the psychotic bottom feeders of our society.

I worked 35 hours a week at a starbucks and took 15 units for 2 years fueled off nothing but hate for the general public and the desire to never serve an idiot again. Got into a real college and just graduated. Things are looking good.

Everyone should have to do customer service. It's a nonstop hard lesson in the different levels of society.
>>
>>17166699
The real dirty people are the ones who leave trash in the cart in the first place. They probably figure since it's not their property that they can just boss it around however they like. Probably why so many carts have fucked up wheels

>>17166711
You are correct on everything, especially the last sentence.

I actually helped a customer once who said she was afraid to ask for help based on a previous bad experience she had at Walmart. Hope I changed her mind. It must've been a pretty horrible experience for it to warrant that learned behavior.

Because you never know when other associates can be there or not, I actually know how to provide many different services around the store if I have to. Need to be a jack of all trades because often the right associate isn't even there (because busy).
>>
>>17166624
Small town with its unexciting but functioning economy. Big new Walmart opens out on the highway. Selection is better and prices lower than any in-town stores. In-town stores can't compete, start going out of business. Everyone blames Walmart.

Also, Walmart fights any attempts to unionize its employees, preferring to pay them just a little over minimum wage, so they're appreciative and won't unionize.
>>
>>17166790
What does Union even mean?
40 hours a week at $9 is enough for my current lifestyle right now
>>
>>17166856
I work a union job and the best part of being in a union is not the probably higher wage, it's that I don't have to worry about being disciplined or fired for anything that is not my fault. also sick and vacation time is nice.
>>
>>17166624

Work for a UK supermarkets , owned by walmart, logistic services.

I'm not sure how other warehouses work but in the past 5 years the morale here has dropped drastically.

There is basically zero communication between managers, which means you'll be called into the office for a meeting one day, and the next day another manager will ask why you spend half an hour not working the day before.

They constantly "forget" to give downtime, and have even gotten much tighter with giving downtime - which would be understandable, however by not giving s 10 minutes downtime to get a battery change on some equiptment, they ensure we'll be called in for "gaps" the next day.

When I first started, it was great. You could just get on with the job,
It was perfect.
Then without timing the work-rate to create a feasible target, they re-arranged the pick floors and set the targets sky-high.
Essentially, they can't call us in for not hitting the rate, however, if we don't hit it, we'll be called in for "gaps". Basically, anything over 3 minutes where they didn't electronically track any work done.

Which again, would be fine... but you cannot work a shift without having gaps. Battery changes, reporting spillages, etc.

So essentially, in certain area's, you become damned if you do, damned if you don't. You know that you'll be called into the office the next day and challenged over your performance regardless of how much effort you put in.

Then there are rotation issues, which force certain people to work these areas every-day.

I was one of them, and was forced to reduce my hours because of the stress.

This isn't even mentioning that management throws money away on new expensive machines that don't work, while telling us "BE more careful, we need to save money".

The general consensus among the collegues was that they needed to cut costs by getting rid of people, so they were tryin' to force people to quit. So it's incompetence rather than nefariousness.
>>
>>17166875
Oh god that sounds nothing short of hell
>>
>>17166720
>Everyone should have to do customer service. It's a nonstop hard lesson in the different levels of society

This. Customer service at cuckmart here. Just over year, I seriously dont know how ive made it this long.

A coworker put it best, when you work here, you are literally their servants. Thats whats expected.

I almost got written up yesterday for doing a return outside of the store policy, and just letting the customer know he would need his receipt next time. He went to my manager and tried to get me fired cause he 'didnt like my tone'. I went out of my way to help him and went to go tattle.

I literally fantasize about punching these people in the fucking face. Thats the worst part, im a big guy and could easily wreck most of them but I have to just sit there and say sorry for fucking breathing. People returning used or broken shit and you have to just accept it, knowing that they are fucking lying to your face.

Its truely the most humbling experience Ive had to endure in my life.
>>
>>17167128

I feel for you dude. Sometimes I look at the dead expressions of the CSMs at my store and I feel guilty because I'm getting paid the same (or maybe even more) than these poor souls, and my job is embarrassingly easy (Support Manager).

I don't know how you do it. Stay strong.
>>
>>17166637
This, plus after sam walton left, the ppl that took over were shitty to the employees. After yrs of changing diff ceo's walmart is a lot better place to work. But some of their bad rep came from yrs ago when they werent so great at the time. It still hangs over them, even after all these yrs.
I work at walmart as well and i love it. Better than any other retail job i've had.
>>
>>17166711
Wrong. I dont doubt some walmart stores do that but not the three i have been at. They really want you to do better in the store and care about everyone. Thats why i like it at walmart.
>>
Walmart sucks because its a huge store with many different departments but often HIGHLY understaffed and undertrained.

At my store we have days were there isnt a maintenance guy, so poop and throw up literally festers on the floor until they get a cart pusher to clean it up. Then the carts get low so they have to pull a cashier or two. Then the lines at the registers get short because they are down cashiers. Then I have to take customers at the service desk and that gets backed up.

Its a fucking shit show, day in and day out. The managers do nothing but take the customers side even when you did LITERALLY nothing wrong. The customer always wins. Even if they dont get there way they complain to corporate, who then sends the customer a 25$ gift card and takes punitive actions against the store which puts pressure on the managers which then trickles down to the employees.

If you bitch hard enough at walmart you can walk out with so much free shit its not even funny. You can walk right over the store manager.
>>
>>17167128
Michael?
>>
>>17167456
I've exchanged broken shit at Wal-Mart that I didn't even buy from Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is totally a joke. Even the "nicer" ones suck but most of the time they do have the best prices. I go to Wal-Mart knowing that I want. Getting in. Then getting out quickly.

I've got two Wal-Mart's in a 20 mile radius from my house. One is disgusting and filled with trailer trash, and the people you literally see in those "ppl that shop at wal-mart memes". The other is slightly less disgusting and full of Mexican and niggers who have no manners or idea of out to act in public. So yeah the store upkeep is totally lacking.
>>
>>17167456
willing to bet niggers are the most to complain about anything to get free shit.
>>
>>17166647
^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
File: wal-mart.jpg (95 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
wal-mart.jpg
95 KB, 1024x768
>>17166624
I'm almost 20 and have worked at Walmart since I was 16 as a school job. The people who shit on it are the ones who had gotten fired for stealing/dicking around/not doing their job.

If you treat others with respect there, they'll treat you with respect. At least with co-workers. Most of the co-workers get their shit done, and if they don't, they don't last more than a few weeks.

Customers are a whole other thing though. They expect to be waited on hand and foot way up on their high horse. Since I've worked retail, I've gained so much sympathy for other retail workers. Some people think having to wait 5 minutes for something out of the back room is ridiculous and they storm off swearing and proceed to write a shitty report of the store, but everyone in the store has their own shit to do on top of helping the customers. We don't sit there at little kiosks with a buzzer at the desk like at a hotel.

Some also have completely irrational requests, and become furious when you can't accommodate.
>"I lost the cord to this toaster. Are you able to just pull one out of the box on the shelf and sell it to me?"
>Sorry, but we can't do that. We'd have to claims out the rest of the toaster
>"Well, just get manager Chris and he'll have it done."
>M'am, we don't have a manager Chris.
>"Yes you do, go get him."
>I'm serious, we don't have a manager by the name of Chris. I can get another mana-
>"PLEASE BOY JUST GO GET MANAGER CHRIS FOR ME."
I get a different manager and they explain to her we've never had a manager Chris in the store. She gets furious and storms out.

It amazes me though how if someone say, wants a bag of cat food but it's out on the shelf, or a vacuum cleaner. I'll scan it, find where it is in the back, and be out in like 3-4 minutes with it. 70% of the time they're utterly baffled and surprised that I came back at all.

>tl;dr The customers are whiny cunts.
>>
>>17166624
Where I live Wal-Mart is racist, only hires nggrs
>>
>>17167530
This guy knows what's up.
I love you for staying strong.

Retail workers are among the strongest, toughest workers out there
>>
>>17167821
When I started there for the first week or two I took most unpleasant interactions as personal, but I quickly realized sometimes customers are just genuinely shitty and know they can treat you like garbage and because of lack of job security, you can't defend yourself, even in a respectful manner. You're just supposed to sit there and take it.

Now I'm one of the go-to guys when it comes to a difficult customer, because I've had customers get in my face and any more I just don't give a shit. No point in getting mad over something like that.
>>
>>17167833
That's great to hear. Wish I could be like that. As a sensitive girl I can cry easy
>>
>>17167961
I've seen two girls get pulled off of registers because they couldn't handle black friday. I only had to do registers my first year there for black friday, so I can get why they broke down.
>>
File: 1411375160925s.jpg (8 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1411375160925s.jpg
8 KB, 250x250
I think a lot depends on the local manager.

The ones locally have the reputation of booting out their long-term employees out on ridiculous pretenses and replacing them with newer, lower-wage employees.
>>
>>17166647
This
>>
>>17167128
Christ that sounds awful
>>
>>17166624
Depends where it is.

I used to work at Target and had to spy on the prices of Walmart.
Shit had rats in the food section, a stray cat in the pet section to catch the rats. Empty shelves, and it attracts all the hoodrats.

Then again this is the same walmart where someone got trampled to death.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.