[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /adv/. I'm feeling very lost. How can I meet people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: basicBlack_dance.jpg (118 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
basicBlack_dance.jpg
118 KB, 500x500
Hi /adv/.

I'm feeling very lost. How can I meet people who like video games and anime without, who aren't also complete pieces of shit?

People who keep up with the bleeding edge of the internet and technology.

I'm so tired of expending effort on befriending people who are, for lack of a term that isn't cringeworthy, "normies." Yeah, I can easily put on an act to meet some Reddit clones, but that makes me sad. I want authentic friends.

I feel like the only chance for a fulfilling social life I'll ever have is online.

People like the people on 4chan are very rare to find in person. When I do find them, they're usually shit. Meme obsessed. No substance. Or otherwise neurotic to the point where talking to them is a chore.

Another obstacle I face is being desperate. When I meet someone I really like -- someone I would be proud to call my friend -- I smother them. This is probably because I'm socially starved.

What should I do? For the first time in my life, suicide is actually starting to sound like a good idea. The amount of loneliness I face is torture.
>>
For starters you need to stop perceiving people as "normies" and non normies.
>>
>>17165030
our type is too rare to realistically meet anyone like that in real life. thats why you will end up doing what most of us do: talk about the nerd crap here and hide your powerlevel outside. everyone wears a mask anyway, just make it a part of yours. once you really trust someone you can maybe let them in on some of the things you love.
>>
>>17165038
I put it in quotes for a reason, but regardless, isn't it true?

How would not thinking like that benefit me? I tried rekindling a friendship with a normie friend of mine and he's into atheism now. I witnessed a cliche, stereotypical religious debate he started on his FB.

It's the fucking cliche behaviors that I can't stand, man. I have no passion or interest for stereotypes.

>>17165042
:\

I'm starting to believe this. But I don't want to accept that.
>>
>>17165101

Because you thinking about people as normies removes the prospect of getting them as a friend.

True friendship isn't forged in a day OP, and everyone appears like a stereotype when you've just met them.
>>
>>17165108
It probably doesn't help that I have low-level autism.

Honestly, I don't know how to relate to people who aren't at least somewhat autistic or judging. I know that's bad, but I don't get fulfillment from talking to other types.

This is my crisis.
>>
>>17165125
I'm weird as fuck and have no problem making friends.

>autism
Have you actually been formally diagnosed or are you just using this as a defense mechanism for a lack of social skills?
>>
>>17165125
see, you have this weird double standard going on which i see often on this website and which i too am guilty of.

the worst thing are judgemental people, right? people who refuse to accept your decision to spend no time on fashion and your own body and who show nothing but disinterest for your beloved hobbies.
yet at the same time you instantly judge all those "normies", not even seeing them as individuals any more and you dont give a shit about their interests either.

i have no right to criticize you for this, because as i said i do all of this myself, but dont act like youre better than anyone else. i realize the aura of superiority you built around yourself feels nice, also the whole "mild-autism" thing, really cute, but maybe stuff like this is exactly who you cant connect to people in real life.
>>
>>17165130
I'm self diagnosed. I know that sounds stupid, but I'm very positive I have it.

I have an affinity for patterns. I used to snap my fingers a lot when I was a kid. There's more, but I don't want to write an essay about how I'm a "non-human."

Where do you meet friends? I was thinking I could go to conventions and comic shops, but the demographic of those places are very off putting to me.
>>
>>17165142
It's not even that I feel superior. Just different.
>>
>>17165162
semantics dont matter here, anon. saying youre feeling different just means youre feeling special.
>>
>>17165162
Let me clarify. Even if I don't feel particularly superior, I'm still very judgmental towards certain types.
>>
>>17165165
I don't feel special though. I just think a lot of people are bad. I know the trope is that autists think they're special snowflakes, as written on Encyclopedia Dramatica, but I'm not really like that.

I'm sorry, I know I sound a bit neurotic.
>>
>>17165175
all im trying to tell you here is that if you keep pretending you are any different at the core from all the other people on the planet you are wrong and this attitude will inhibit your ability to find real, meaningful friends.
you can keep doing the autism thing, in fact you dont have to change at all as a person, just give new people you meet a genuine chance and try to be interested in their life and their thoughts. you will be pleasantly surprised what all those faceless NPCs have to offer.
>>
>>17165193
This sounds good on paper, and I really want to believe this, but I don't know if I can.

I know this will probably sound disappointing. Thank you anyway.
>>
>>17165214
very good answer. im not disappointed at all, because its impossible to change your worldview like that from one second to another.
just remember that not everything you think is happening is the actual truth. maybe in a few years you will feel for real what i just tried to tell you.
>>
>>17165144
I have some of the symptoms. I bite my fingers in patterns. I bit my lip in patterns. From time to time I will work out mathematical calculations in my head when I'm doing something completely unrelated.

I have a tendency to completely withdrawal from people time to time. I drop my relationships and lose my motivation to put any effort towards them. I still make an effort to maintain them, though.

I'm somewhat temperamental and I will have short phases on which I am very cynical. My friends tell me that I take some things too seriously.

Despite this, however, I have still managed to procure a social life.

Put yourself out there. Although I must warn you, most people who like the former part of your post do not like the latter. I used to like anime, but now I watch it very casually, almost not at all.
>>
>>17165428
How old are you, OP
>>
>>17165435
Almost 21.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.