[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just bought a used road bike for $660 and had it under a month
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: Screenshot_20160412-213343.png (38 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160412-213343.png
38 KB, 1080x1920
I just bought a used road bike for $660 and had it under a month and enjoyed it very much... Spent a lot of money and time on adding parts, gear, etc. Spent over 1k in total. I locked my bike at a superstore bike rack with other bikes there, it was a busy time. I came back after 15 minutes and it disappeared... filed a police report, etc. detailed description, I'm looking at kijiji and eBay daily if they will sell it... I didn't record the serial number yet but I'll visit the guy I bought off of and pray he has it.

Any idea what I should do to better my chances? Can any experienced bike thieves help me? It was thinking only thing that made me happy.
>>
There was no camera in the corner where people park their bikes apparently but they will look at the camera facing the parking lot... this guy is good and was probably waiting and watching beforehand. Cut through the chain and left nothing.

They gotta make money with these stolen bikes somehow, but I imagine it's too obvious if they try to do it kijiji or something. Any idea how they will sell it? where?
>>
>spending 1k on a bike
You fault m8
>>
Obviously you cannot totally prevent theft, but you can decrease the likelihood your bike will be the target.

Spending the right amount on locks and locking correctly is part of it, the rest is location and the final bit is just fucking luck/timing. 15 minutes is a very short length of time for anything other than an opportunistic theft which would suggest to me you locked it poorly. For my own curiosity how did you lock?

You need a decent chain which cannot be defeated except for bulky croppers for the front wheel and the frame and a decent D or U lock for a second point of attachment, ideally rear wheel and frame which cannot be defeated except for a hydraulic jack and/or severe leverage.

The leverage aspect can be negated by positioning the D or U lock high up off the ground meaning you can't brace anything against the floor and hydraulic jacking can be made difficult by positioning by either filling the D with pole/frame/wheel/rear triangle/crank arm or using smaller U locks which provide little room to position a jack.

It is very unlikely an opportunistic thief will carry both tools as they are expensive and bulky and it'd be time consuming to bust both even if you don't position them in the best manner. Your bike wouldn't be an easy target and an opportunist would move on.

It is possible your bike was specifically targeted by a more informed thief, but 15 minutes is bold as fuck, usually they'd wait for a better window of opportunity or keep an eye out for an easier bike to steal.

Of course nothing will stop someone who really wants your bike, they'll just use power tools or violence to get it and you can't really lock against such situations, it is a numbers game really to dissuade 99% of opportunistic thieves.

I had two nice bikes stolen and police immediately told me prime suspects were people who know me and the bike. According to them random theft for a well secured bike is so rare usually someone with knowledge of my movements planned it.
>>
I had a cable lock, they can cut through it with tools. There were lots of bikes on the rack, lots unlocked. There's bike theft issue in my city. I know it's my fault for not getting the best lock. But I'm asking advice on what you think the guy will do so I can run into it, possibly.

It's expensive because it's a road bike, people like to bike here.
>>
>>17154486
Hey man you're not alone here. I wish I'm able to help, but make sure to reply with the outcome, I want to know.
>>
>>17154486
They'll probably pawn it
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.