[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /adv/, I've got a job problem, and though 4chan might
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1383323038208.jpg (72 KB, 594x800) Image search: [Google]
1383323038208.jpg
72 KB, 594x800
Sup /adv/, I've got a job problem, and though 4chan might be the wrong place to ask, I figured I'd give it a shot

So: I'm currently in a medical residency program, and my term is ending, so I've been applying for jobs. So far plenty of phone interviews, but no offers. My main worry is that the places I'd actually like to live won't offer at all, or won't before my 'graduation', while places I'd prefer not to live might

My supervisors have been giving me shit for prioritizing potential offers based on location, but I think they're more concerned with our program's stats: if I don't place before graduation, it reflects poorly on the program

At the same time, I don't really want to graduate without having my next job lined up, as I'll have to return to my parents' house and bum off them while continuing to interview around waiting for the 'perfect' offer while having rejected several okay-ish ones :/ All because really don't want to get locked into places like Peoria, IL, or Cheyenne, WY, too small, too far from anything interesting, and too few people in the dating pool

Am I being too picky? Anybody else here been in a similar bind?
>>
Bumpin
>>
>>17146657
> prioritizing potential offers based on location
This is why we have invented "rent an apartment" thingy. Do you know you can get decent paying job in shitty area, try being there for a while and still looking for better places? And if you find yourself enjoying the place, you can stay.

Also chances of getting better jobs in better areas are higher with gained experiences in your current job. So as long as you don't accept some bullshit like "I have to work here for X years before I can go elsewhere" you are free to do whatever you like.

Just read your work employment contract carefully for such clauses.
>>
>>17147578
Are you like 14?
You clearly have no fucking clue about whats going on here....

>>17146657

OP take the job thats the most "ok"ish on offer abd stick it out. After you have exp. In your feild then move. Then again as man child above me said you may like what you find in the more rural areas...
>>
>>17147578

To me it comes down to an honor kind of thing. If I take a real job and leave a year later, I'll feel like a shitty person. Employment contract or not, you're making a commitment

>>17147593
And on the other hand of things, I'm already in my late 20s. I'm getting tired of moving every 2 years chasing the next education/job/opportunity. Having to give up friends, never getting to form any deep or meaningful relationships

Also, for the record, I am originally from the Midwest, and wouldn't even mind a job near my hometown. It's just that breaking into (any other) Midwestern town as an outsider is tough. Most people got married straight out of high school and the social circles are pretty concrete by age 30
>>
>>17147682
Honor? what the fuck? What does honor mean if you're living in a shitty apartment in the middle of nowhere. Get the job, rent an apartment, get the experience, and then leave for a place you actually want to work. If you don't have connections, then this is the best way to do it. I'm still surprised your reason for prioritizing no experience over experience is 'honor'... holy shit.

There isn't anything wrong with living in a shitty 'boring' place for a year while you get experience. You should prioritize experience, it can only benefit you in the future.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.