[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you 'fake it until you make it'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
Hey /adv/

I am in possibly the biggest slumps of my life, I'm usually the one to 'fake it until I make it' but I have forgotten how to even get by. I am unmotivated to do anything, even studying is the biggest task right now (usually it's not). I feel unloved and unworthy, and all of my friends cancelled all their plans with me this weekend.

It's like the only time I can 'fake it' is when I am talking to someone and preoccupy myself so that I don't realise how sad I really am.

How does anyone cope with these shitty feelings?
>>
>>17145775
You don't, once you hit that stage most people feel nothing the rest of their lives and usually kill themselves before 40. But don't worry it's pretty common these days with the world being total garbage now
>>
>>17145775
You sound clinically depressed more than just having low self-confidence. Fake it till you make it is decent advice for people who are okay mentally but want to improve. Someone who is really low like you needs to get to a level where you have a tiny bit of energy.

Fake it till you make it is a way to get you to do things that generate a lot of anxiety or that you don't want to do due to lack of confidence or such. Usually you get a boost when you do achieve those things and that is what builds belief that you are capable of doing those things.

If you don't have access to psychological help of some sorts right now, try not to put extra pressure on yourself by beating yourself up over not doing things. Distraction is one thing, you can try physical exercise (just doing a couple push ups or crunches until you break out in a sweat), cleaning your room, putting on some upbeat music, going for a walk, doing any sort of activity you usually like.
when feeling unmotivated I like the timer idea, do it for 10 minutes which is literally nothing and if after 10 minutes you want to stop, stop, if you feel like continuing, do it.
>>
>>17145786
I don't like my life but I don't want to end it.

>>17145787
Thank you for the advice, I'll give it a go.
I'm not usually this bad, I even got better at one point, but in the last couple of days I feel like it's just going to be worse for me (even though far back in my head I know I'll be okay)
>>
Your mind might feel too fuzzy to study, but it's important to remember that it's for your benefit. The future is bright if we let it be, so work hard at it. Take a break to clear your head though, do something you still find enjoyment in
>>
>>17145775
I can't find it, but there was a study where they found out that people are most depressed when they are doing nothing. I remember reading about it, they made a bunch of people rate their depression in different parts of the day and say what they were doing, and people were worse when they were just lying in bed or something. I heard it on RadioLab, if anyone remembers it.

I know it's hard anon, I have this too. I feel bad but I feel worse if I don't do something. Find something to do, study or work out or draw, but DO something. You HAVE to. Or you'll just go deeper down the spiral of depression.

And you will get better, I can't even begin to explain how shit I've felt in my life, but it always gets at least a bit better. Eventually you'll hit rock bottom and from there the only way is up. Think of it this way -- if you've experienced the worst, everyone else in the future that's bad will pale in comparison and not affect you as much.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.