[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Resume help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: just.png (232 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
just.png
232 KB, 500x359
Hi, I'm going to be applying for some internships but the problem is I have zero work experience at all, except outside of one small job.

What should I be putting on my resume?
>>
>>17154967
say you would do ANYTHING to get it
>>
Put your education and that one small job on your resume.
>>
>>17154967

say you are applying for starbucks, or dunkin donuts, and they say 'we are looking for someone with 1 year barista experience.

go to the 'volunteer' part of your resume, and write in that you worked as a barista for 2 years worth of charity dinners for the local fire house while in highschool.

if they do call you in for an interview, go online and google 'barista training video' and you'll find lots of resources to see how the machines work. memorize the name of two models. when you go in and see the machine say 'yeah looks kinda like the (insert model here) but a bit different'. they WILL show you how to use it no matter how experienced you are, training is required after all. but you'll go in knowing what the little nozzles do.

take that idea and apply it to any job you apply for,.
>>
>>17154981
Is that all? I honestly don't even think it would reach one page.

I guess I just need to put it all in the cover letter
>>
>>17154967
say you eat ass
>>
A little fib here and there for volunteer work won't hurt
>>
Anyone know how much I can bullshit on my resume?
>>
>>17155125

anything that you can back up. most entry level places dont actually check your references. what kind of internship is this?

I've had three really high profile references and after 3 years of on and off job hunting literally none of them have received so much as an email.

stretch out any 'gigs' you had to be seasonal work. stretch out any seasonal work to be a few months. then stretch out a single night of volunteering somewhere to be a year of it
>>
>>17155144
It's entry level internships but I believe the competition for it will be high.

Companies such as Universal and Activision so I wouldn't be surprised if there was an interview process
>>
>>17155169

there is an interview process. however that doesn't mean they check your references. but thats okay. you can list real references.

but again, find out what the internship will involve doing, and fake it till you make it.'

general assistant and gopher work? congratulations, you were now a teachers assistant during a free period!

see what i did there? do it as well.

also
>los angeles

neighborino
>>
>>17155191

You know you can list friends as "references" and indicate that they are co-workers... I've done it plenty of times and my friends always come through. I do the same for them. I also have one manager who was awesome and mega chill and gave awesome references.

Otehr than that put your skills that you learned in each job/volunteer/club at school... in the future, get some sort of portfolio going for coding or design if you're doing either. The biggest part of landing internships is showing you know how to learn quickly, and that you're willing to put in the extra time to learn on your own. For example, I put that I have extensive usage of codeacademy/lynda/coursera... I listed that under interests, but it's something you can mention too. You really want to milk everything you've done for any sort of "work skills"... examples:

>Completed some sort of project with co-workers? (even basic shit like assigned duties to co-workers to clean specific dishes, set-up tables, make drinks, etc...) list it as "Ability to work with teams and lead them"... do shit like that.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.