[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thanatophobia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: galaxy-nebulae[1].jpg (916 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
galaxy-nebulae[1].jpg
916 KB, 1920x1200
How does one overcome this? And don't say "wait" like a smartass.

I mean, I honestly get sporadic panic attacks from simply being aware of my mortality. Being stuck in an overall shitty position with no apparent out only makes it worse, since I feel every day is wasted time being miserable when I want friends and hopes and maybe a lover, who knows.

Anyway, it's really eating at me, but I can't even so much as beat being stuck at home alone, nonetheless the end of all things itself.
>>
>>17151154
We all die--but what we do before that time is what counts. Being in a lousy job can be causing your panic attacks, or at least contributing to them. Depression and stress are tough, but not unbeatable! You may need to make some positive changes so that you're too busy improving your life--and possibly others lives as well--and not leaving yourself time to dwell on this. Refocus and live! GL!
>>
>>17151154
Belive. It doesn't need to be god. You can belive in eternal return or multiverse, reincarnation. Just think how ridiculous is the fact that universe (as we know it) is 15 billion years old. Our earth is something like 5 billion years old, life is 2 billion and just now you are alive and aware of your existence. It's ridiculous. But if our consciousnes is nothing special and we just get born and reborn (albeit with no memories) than it is nothing special that you are alive now. You were always alive (maybe something like 10000 billions years ago) and will be alive again. Time between the facts doesn't matter as it is just like sleep with no dream. As you die you become born again ad infinitum.
>>
>>17151154
Hey OP, currently suffering from thanatophobia, here's relaying my experience:

It's good to pin point the cause of this anxiety, ask yourself why you are afraid of something you've never done before? Maybe you're not afraid of dying, maybe you're afraid of losing everything you've experienced in life, maybe it's a pride thing? Its the time of the year where a lot of high school kids graduate, or college kids graduate, are you moving to a new chapter in your life? Could that dramatic change be a cause of anxiety? Spend time reflecting on the source of this fear, don't treat the symptom treat the illness.

Also, medicate. Go to your local vitamin store and ask them for anxiety medication, the stronger the better. Go see a psychiatrist or a doctor, stay AWAY from marijuana as that will only increase paranoia when you're not high (please trust me.)

Also reflect on the afterlife, in recent decades several scientists have begun to study consciousness in depth and found it may be possible our conscience lives off in some quantum field after death. Research it don't take my second hand report as fact. Also, a lot of big name scientists and organizations are working towards various forms of immortality, which they believe they can achieve within the next 20 years or so. Certainly before we die.

Finally, find comfort in the fact that old people don't fear dying. They don't.
>>
>>17151861
cont.

It's natural to fear death and to want more from life when you're young, but 80-100 years is a long time my friend. Longer than someone who is below 30 can possibly really comprehend. It's been found in multiple studies that towards your final chapters you think of death more, but worry about it less.

"Don't worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is about as effective as solving and algebra equation by chewing bubblegum."

Best of luck to you, friend. Trust me on the medication.
>>
>>17151861
The immortality thing is interesting, but there's no way I'd qualify. I'm just some loser dropout (had the grades but not the money to pay for any more college)
>>
>>17151154
Currently trying to overcome this same thing. There's a lot of solid advice so far.

Get blood panels done, you may be low in key vitamins and nutrients
While you're at the Dr, get medicated
Then see a psychiatrist
Hydrate. Drink some Gatorade
Exercise
Fap
Get spiritual
Maybe try >>>/soc/

The things that help me, aside from bizarre experiences with no explanation, have been a mix of Christian and Buddhist ideologies and realizing that they are very similar to what science tells us. Energy can't be created or destroyed, just transferred. My life will become another life. My actions now shape the future I will live in. I've lived and died countless times in countless ways before this, and everything that exists now is connected.

One lives ones death. For some reason this saying brings me the most comfort
>>
>>17151154
>since I feel every day is wasted time being miserable when I want friends and hopes and maybe a lover, who knows.

Focus more on doing stuff in the now to move towards what you want to do, instead of constantly worrying about a future that hasn't come yet.
>>
>>17151933
Also, it's about the quality of life
That one always motivates me.
Hope you find what works for you, OP
>>
>>17151943
I have no idea what to do, though. I'm out now, but I'll elaborate with a more thorough post when I get home
>>
>>17151965
So, to elaborate -- but still keep things somewhat short -- I've been stuck at home after my parents stole my identity and boned me out of my financial aid from university because I had a huge debt. It's been paid down mostly thanks to a different relative, but I still haven't been accepted to transfer anywhere, live in a small town, and all of my friends have gone on to do their own thing in different unis/other states, so I've pretty much been alone since this whole thing started. I don't make enough to move out at my current job, though it's miserable living with people you can't stand, too. I haven't been in a relationship for years; the only person that ever considered me worth at least emotional intimacy has gone full no-contact with me anyway.

I'm trying to dig my way out of this shitty town but it's a slow process, only recently did I finally shrug off trying to finish university. I'm hoping to train enough to get hired via launchcode.
>>
File: Elevator Suicide.jpg (37 KB, 376x415) Image search: [Google]
Elevator Suicide.jpg
37 KB, 376x415
Have you tried killing yourself?
>>
>>17152753
I've considered it.
>>
>>17152491
Damn, your parents suck. What kinds of things do you want to do? You say you want to get out of that shitty town you live in. Maybe take a day trip every now and again to somewhere you've never been before? It will allow you to clear your head and help you to realize it's possible to get out of your current situation. It might even open a few doors.
How old are you, OP?
>>
>>17151154
Read a shitload of transcendental poetry. Like thanatopsis by William Cullen Bryant comes to mind, specifically to deal with the fear of death. If poetry isn't your thing, maybe sell some professional help of some sort. A psychologist could probably help you address your fears in a healthy way. And even if poetry is your thing, still consider a professional.
>>
>>17153724
maybe *seek* some professional help.
>>
>>17153538
20, Anon.

>>17153724
I remember studying transcendentalism in high school. I might give it another shot.

Coincidentally enough, the husband of the English teacher we studied that under is a psychologist. I don't feel comfortable going while it'd be under my parents' insurance, though.
>>
Bumping. Also going to the library -- or rather, bookstore, as it has better hours of operation, haha-- later.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.