[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a question for the cigarette smokers. I've been an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: small cigar.jpg (33 KB, 640x425) Image search: [Google]
small cigar.jpg
33 KB, 640x425
I have a question for the cigarette smokers. I've been an occasional smoker for a little over a year now, I'll at times smoke a pack a week and at my peak a little more than that, but I've come to the conclusion that the high you get from nicotine just isn't good or strong enough to make it worth either the money or the health hazards. I'm a big drinker (some would say an alcoholic) so I understand the need for a high to cope with things, but I really don't see how cigarettes satisfy that need. So why do you do it? Is it just the addiction?
>>
File: 11.jpg (159 KB, 399x526) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
159 KB, 399x526
>>17148577
I do them very occasionally like make twice a week sometimes. Peaking being about 3 times a day, low being not at all for weeks.

The low cost and heavy nicotine buzz is what keeps me coming back. They also motivate me

Plus smoking after sex/in the shower is great
>>
Got a friend who got hooked on after 23 years of not smoking

Says its addictive and that's it really
Other reasoning mostly covers adiction up
>>
>>17148577
I was a heavy heavy smoker for 10++ years (ten years plus some relapses). It started with some pleasure (not the nicotine high in particular, because that's gone within a few weeks of regular daily smoking), some camaraderie, some breaks in my day.

Was all about the addiction for the next decade.

Most of the positive sensations serious smokers past the nicotine-rush stage say they associate with smoking (relaxation, feeling of satisfaction, etc) are just describing relief from nicotine withdrawal symptoms (distraction, tension, irritability, lack of focus, etc. I also had headaches. But I was mostly just an asshole.)

If you can do it casually, enjoy it, and not get hooked, congratulations. (Also fuck you.)
>>
>>17148577
I really did it for the taste, but it became easily addicting. I smoked more and more and realized that I was just trying to satisfy my addiction to the nicotine. So now I vape, I can get more nicotine from less, and I'm not fucking my lungs up as bad
>>
>>17148577
>So why do you do it? Is it just the addiction?
did you know that nicotine actually creates the most powerful physical addiction of any substance known to man, so yeah I'd imagine that's pretty much it.

I don't smoke and I never have, so I'm not really qualified to talk about it, but my dad was a smoker for many years who quit. I asked him a pretty similar question to yours once and he said that aside from the obvious physical addiction it was great when he had a deadline to meet, he could put a pack of cigarettes on his desk and go through them over the course of the day which would make his head a lot clearer and more focused. He said that's the one thing he missed about smoking, though he also said that now almost 3 decades after quitting he still gets cravings from time to time. That's fucking insane.
>>
>>17148577
I've been a smoker for 11 years. I desperately want to quit. But addiction is the most part. Aside from that? The enjoyment of looking forward to a cig Having a nice meal and cig afterwards looking forward to the cig break during work. It's not so much the body addiction /craving for nicotine, but the actual enjoyment of smoking. The same way you can enjoy the taste of a beer, not just because of the high a beer provides when drunk, but the actual taste of a beer itself, or the way you look forward to going to a pub to have a pint. It's not all about the addiction to the substance.
>>
>>17148857
It also doesn't produce second hand smoke or make your clothing and breath smell like shit. I had a room mate not long ago who was a big vaper, it was pretty funny to come back into the room and see him lying on the bed with his fancy glass pipe and the most satisfied placid expression on his face, I almost thought he was addicted to opium.
>>
I've wanted to smoke ever since I was a kid since I thought it was cool. I've been smoking for four years, went up from a cigarette a day to half a pack a day at the most. I love tobacco. I love the smell, the taste, the history. I even applied to a job at a tobacco company straight out of college. I enjoy cigars too and I'm buying a tobacco pipe once I have a little more spending money to justify it.

It's the perfect way to kill five minutes (short break at work, early to meet up with a friend, etc). It's a great way to meet people, especially since smokers are becoming rarer and rarer. It's how I meditate. At the same time, I can go a day without smoking and feel perfectly comfortable, just as well as smoking 10 in a day.
>>
>>17148643
>in the shower
Tobacco with cellulose rolling paper? Can't see it working in a not awkward way otherwise.
>>
I don't understand why anyone could become addicted to cigarettes. They burn my throat much worse than weed, and the mucus buildup is disgusting.
>>
>>17148577
There is no "high" from nicotine. What there is is relief from lows.

When you are addicted to nicotine, your body chemistry changes, and you-with-nicotine becomes the new "normal" while you-without-nicotine feels bad.

So the first cigarette in the morning doesn't make you feel good. It stops the pain of 8 hours of cold turkey withdrawal.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.