[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Summer job hunting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: stocking.png (2 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
stocking.png
2 MB, 1600x900
I don't really know where else to turn.

This is the third summer in a row I've been jobless. (Just turned 21)
I always took every piece of (good) advice I was given on getting a job:

>Apply long before the summer starts (I always start applying in February)
>Apply everywhere, even to places that don't have signs up or where you might not be qualified to look, some places might need an errand jockey
>Apply wearing a dress shirt, dress pants, nice haircut, looking sharp
>Have references available (I've done some temp work for a family friend working a sales table at some gaming conventions, and the guy's known me for a long time and would totally give me the best reference ever, if they'd only call him).

I had good grades in HS and I have a >3.5 GPA, just finished my third year of college double majoring in math and education. I wouldn't say I'm attractive or ugly, and I smile about as much as other people.

My main issue is, every place seems to want experienced people- even entry-level shit. Dunkin' Donuts wouldn't hire me to sling donuts and coffee unless I had barista experience, for Christ's sake.

What am I doing wrong? What else can I do right? Even my best friend has gotten a job two towns over, but his mother drives him there at 9am for free.
>>
>>17147863
I don't know if I can help you. I got my job due to nepotism. The college my dad works at was looking for people to do some work unboxing and hooking up computers and stuff. I did that last summer and then started working in the records department. I'll probably do more physical stuff this summer. Maybe you could try something like that.
>>
>>17147863

a few things

first is dont be so hard on yourself. namely because getting a summer job is kind of like trying to learn how to do a back flip, once a year. by which i mean its a really weird task.

perfectly hirable well resume'd experienced full fledged adults can spend months looking for a job. so you trying to find a job during the biggest job rush of the year (except for maybe the christmas season) where every fucking student / person at your level is applying for jobs on top of the adults is frustrating.

yes, others your age do it, btu there isnt a job for everyone, as the unemployment rate has proven.

the toher thing is as the anon above me mentioend, nepotism. not just family but a lot of people get these summer jobs cuz they know someone who works there. my first 5 jobs i got because i knew someone who worked there or knew someone who knew someone who worked there.

and the only reason i got the job i got now is because my boss said i had a rare spirit type and that it was destiny that i was the only person they interviewed for it.

the job markets fuckign weird.

another hting
>if at ffirst you dont succeed, lie, lie again.

if you are appliny for say, dunkin donuts, claim you do have barista experience. not all coffee machines are made equal and most places train on the job anyway.

and the best thing is you can literally good barista training videos and learn how to do it all the night before, and catch up on the job
>>
>>17147877
I do actually have a part-time job this summer working for that aforementioned family friend, but it's only on the weekends and I need to get a job for during the week.

So at least I have SOMETHING on my resume.

>>17147889
>my boss said i had a rare spirit type and that it was destiny that i was the only person they interviewed for it.
That's...strange.

>if at first you don't succeed, lie, lie again.
Probably going to end up doing that- I was considering it, but some of these places require writing your past experience (in similar/applicable jobs) on your resume. For example, with Dunkin Donuts, they required me to write the origin of my barista experience on the application. If I wrote Starbucks, I feel like they'd contact them to verify it (though honestly I feel like I'm worrying about that too much).
Maybe I'll just write the name of a local diner that closed down a while ago.
>>
summer camps
>>
>>17147916

>That's...strange

well that's my life now, so thankfully its a good job and pays well.

>what if they fact check

consider listing it under volunteer experience. before is tarted applying for restaurants i literally claimed barista experience while doing charity dinners for the local firehouse. considering its volunteer theres no real paper trail.

plus you're talking entry level, they arent going to call starbucks to see if you worked there. but again, claim it was volunteer work. feel free to update / edit your resume.

I had two, one for office, one for restaurants. if i needed to id change my experiences, volunteer stuff as needed.
>>
>>17147916
Okay, so are you writing on your applications that you are busy working weekends? Are you filling in a chart of available hours and only putting Mon-Fri? If so, STOP. That part time gig for your family friend needs to go to the back burner. You need to stress to employers that you are willing and able to work 7 days a week, any hours, any shift.
>>
>>17147937
They do ask "Are you currently employed?" on applications, though. If I say "no" then I'll get fucked eventually when they ask me to come in and I'm already at my other job; if I say "yes" then I have to tell them when I'm working there.

What do I do about that?

>>17147924
>consider listing it under volunteer experience.
Good idea. Thanks.
>>
>>17147958
You check "yes" and where there's a line or simply just a blank area near the question, you write in "Current job will not interfere with my availability. I am available to begin immediately."

Then you DO go to work immediately, because that family friend will understand that a full time gig takes precedent over the dumb few hours a weekend thing he has you doing. You need to let that gig go. Don't drop it until you have that new job, but you need to drop it like a hot shit as soon as your new employer signs you on.
>>
>>17147972
Good idea. I just don't want to shaft this guy because every time I've needed money in the past, it seems like he hits me up and asks if I can come do some work for him. Nice to have a bump every so often, ya know?

You're probably right though. Thanks a bunch.
>>
just go stock shit at target or something
>>
Do some shit in the back of house... cleaning dishes at a restaurant, cutting grass at a golf course, stocking in the back of a store (like a pet shop or clothing shop), work at a clothing store like Moores... Most jobs are gotten using connections, and persistence. More often than not you think you're being annoying, but hiring managers appreciate you showing you really want the job. Every hiring manager I've contacted appreciated the fact that I followed up consistently with my job applications:

>Drop off resume
>Follow up after with an e-mail/phone call
>Ask if the position is still open after 4-5 days
>If not ask if they have any other positions open other than the one you've applied for

Also make sure your resume looks nice. Trust me when I say plain black and white with no formatting is boring. Also print them on nice thick paper. I usually use linen paper and I always get compliments on the appearance and professionalism of my resume.
>>
>>17147863
Simple solution that will take actual work on your part.

Can't get a job because no experiance? Make the job for yourself.

Any schlub can create a Web based business, run a youtube channel, manage a social media campaign etc etc. This can be a self run business and can be reworded as project management skills.

Second step is to educate yourself. Learn the piss out of access, excel, powerpoint, word, and quickbooks for business. At bare minimum you should be able to scrub, manipulate, categorize, and do vlookups on structured data. You can develop these skills in your time. Create a fiverr account and do freelance work on the cheap.

Are you a smartie in certain subjects? Tutor them. Teaching, structured knowledge , etc etc. Organizational skills.
>>
Where are you from OP? A couple summers ago I had trouble getting a job and ended up working at an Amazon fulfillment center. Really basic work, and they hire a lot this time of the year for the Christmas season. Plus good pay. Biggest downside was that I found it really tiring, standing for hours at a time, and long shifts. If there's one nearby I'd recommend it. Any warehouse job for that matter is pretty good
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.