[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I develop assertiveness and strong will? I feel like I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: sharkposting.png (37 KB, 643x643) Image search: [Google]
sharkposting.png
37 KB, 643x643
How do I develop assertiveness and strong will? I feel like I'm a pushover, nervous over nothing, and very mentally fragile. What do?

Pic unrelated.
>>
same
>>
>>17145846
Practice saying NO and standing up for yourself, OP! You DO have the right to your opinions, plans, and to be yourself. Self-esteem is a big part of this...develop the ability to challenge your own preconceptions (Is that person REALLY any better than I am? Their opinion more valid? Their needs more important?) and then challenge others' in constructive ways. Even small steps towards not accepting status quo (or worse, abuse) can go a long way! Strive to strike a balance so that you can appropriately deal with others--neither as a doormat nor as a bully. GL!
>>
>>17146857
Thanks anon, it helps. Thing is, I think I don't even have will of my own..
>>
Do you have problems "pulling the trigger", OP?
>>
>>17147319
If it's an expression, I don't know it.
>>
>>17145846
Need help with this too
>>
>>17147313
You're welcome OP, but you leave me concerned--you DO have a will and you recognize a problem by virtue of reaching out on your own today! Don't think that you are without a will--you have one that just needs a bit of nurturing/strengthening. Ideally, you should get help through a cognitive behavioral therapist but there's books and online resources for learning to say no and building self-esteem...please don't give up, but instead pursue this more! You CAN empower yourself, so GO FOR IT!!! You may discover along the way that you're stronger than you ever imagined, so why not try my advice or seek more guidance on the subject? What do you have to lose?? Please TRY!!!
>>
>>17145846
are you this way out of kindness or fear?
>>17146857
This guy has the right Idea.
>>
>>17145846
Get pissed off and start saying no a lot more often is a good first step.
>>
>>17145846

Just start talking more and voicing your opinion... like "I think X" and if someone says "No Y is definitely better" then learn to defend yourself instead of being a faggot and caving in like "Yeah Y is probably better"... confidence is hard to develop, but it's really just something you do once, see the positive results, and then do it again.

Story for you:
>In high school
>No gf for entire life
>Find a nice girl and eventually start dating
>Realize she is manipulative and still sees her ex-bf on the side (I was naiive and didn't say anything)
>Eventually she gets to be too much, ignoring me when I don't buy her stuff, getting mad when I don't text her every 2 minutes
>man up, call her out on everything she's done to me and why it was shit
>She says sorry and she won't do it again
>Call her out on her BS and break up with her
>meet current gf of almost 5 years

Being assertive and knowing when to defend yourself will help you a lot. JUST DO IT.
>>
Stand up straight, chest out, shoulders back, make eye contact when you speak.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.