[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Job searching is a bitch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 1461547783503.png (40 KB, 168x236) Image search: [Google]
1461547783503.png
40 KB, 168x236
I have applied to about 10-15 places and got at least 5 interviews. Literally nobody has called me back. I've been trying to get land a part time job as a cook at anywhere as long as I can earn enough of my own money and good reference. But so far, nobody has even gave me a call back. I have some reason it has to do with that one reference. I've only worked there for 3 months. They said they aren't supposed to give bad references, but I've had 2 other experiences in cooking and I'm taking a program for culinary. I have like less than 2 bucks in my name. It's getting harder everyday not doing anything or eating since I'm broke. I need advice on what can be my best option here
>>
>>17137470
Ask your family, I'm getting a job because my mother knows someone. I don't even have a resume, and it doesn't have to be an extremely close relationship (cousins, uncles, etc.)
>>
>>17137479
My parents just say "Oh , you'll get a job somewhere" and my sisters are working in a place where you need to drive and have experience with disabled people.
>>
>>17137491
Your parents are idiots and irresponsible if you literally can't a job and you don't have enough money to feed yourself. Ask them more directly if they can help you get a job, and tell them that its not because you want something easy but because you want something that will feed you. The place your sisters work surely has to have some job where you can just be part of the support staff, like a clerk or a janitor. By "need to drive" do you mean you need a car to get there? Your sisters could help with that if you could just get a job at wherever they work

Would it be possible to not include that bad reference? Would you still be considered for the positions you're looking at if you didn't have it on your applications?

Also, does the job have to be as a cook, and would something as bad as working at fastfood place be sufficient? If you really need a job, it might be time to suck it up and go apply for a warehouse, or something else low skilled but with a need for lots of labor.
>>
File: 1394728084739.png (39 KB, 152x131) Image search: [Google]
1394728084739.png
39 KB, 152x131
Bump4advice
>>
>>17137616
>Your parents are idiots and irresponsible if you literally can't a job and you don't have enough money to feed yourself.

I wouldn't say they're "irresponsible". You have a point but my parents have been lending money to get by. They want me to find work on my own because they have other things to worry about and they want to me find work as "as a man". They're right , but they don't understand how I feel stuck.

I could ask my sisters, but most likely I'd have to work in a different location than my sisters. Plus, I have to drive the patients to restaurants, parks, clinics, and homes.

>Would it be possible to not include that bad reference? Would you still be considered for the positions you're looking at if you didn't have it on your applications?

It's the only job I've worked with the year. Last job I had was last year (May to Sept). I want to show other places that I'm consistent and have more experience in the field. But if that recent job is giving me a bad name, there's no point.

At this point, flipping burgers seems decent. But I've even applied to McD's and still nothing. I would work in a warehouse, but I'm not sure who's for sure looking for people. For now I need money ASAP
>>
>>17137470
If you're taking a program in culinary, yiu could try and ask one of your teachers or tutors to be your reference.
>>
>>17137470
ppl are doing new things like adding other shit in their attachments like referneces so try that
>>
>>17137664
>Warehouses
UPS, Fedex, Amazon are the biggest ones i know of. Be careful working at warehouse, you can get over heated, break a finger or cut or bruised pretty easily in those places, especially if you're working a high pace. If you do work there, get forty dollars from your parents for steel toe boots, because you will need them to save your feet.

Warehouse jobs are exhausting jobs, so maybe try a bit more for something easier. If you really want a job as a cook, I'd make the effort for at least a couple of days to apply to every place that cooks food, even if they don't have any signal that they're hiring. That sounds a little desperate, and it is, but there's nothing wrong with it since absolutely nothing bad can happen from just applying for a job.

If you can't get a cooking job, consider doing volunteer work that would let you do some cooking once you get some other job. It'd be a little bet for the future, to keep you doing what you want even if no one will give you a chance. That way you can show any employer that not only are you capable of handling two responsibilities (job and volunteer work) they would also see that you aren't give upon them as a cook, even if you might have a bad reference.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.