[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I got out of college with a degree in chemistry last year and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_5056.jpg (66 KB, 476x476) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5056.jpg
66 KB, 476x476
I got out of college with a degree in chemistry last year and I'm still only part-time bartending. My GPA was 5 on a 7 point scale, and I never failed a class, so I'm not dumb.

I just don't know what jobs to apply for. All the careers advisors I've met with just said that I'd "figure it out eventually" or encouraged me to keep working in hospitality or something. I feel like I can't see any real career options. All the advice i get is about networking or mentoring – I have a rather large network of friends, and I make a point to go out and meet new people at least once a week, but none of them are really in a position to offer me jobs, and as for mentoring, I've never had one in my life, and wouldn't even know where to begin looking for one when I have no clue what professional field I should be looking at. I've been offered one or two positions at startups – but they're gruelling hours on less than I'm currently making part time, with barely any benefits.

I've even asked my parents for help – but they're convinced that I've already got it all figured out and don't need any help. They laugh me off. "You could get a job easy! You're just working bar because you don't want another job".

How the fuck do I fix this? I'm charismatic and friendly and have glowing references – I've never had an interview where I haven't been offered a job. I'm trained in a moderate amount of data analysis (though I haven't done it in a few years). I've got experience writing for websites and publications, and charity work. I was fucking senior class president. On paper I've been told I'm a great candidate – just not one that anyone can think of any jobs for that I wouldn't need to endure another three years of school and heavy debt to get.
>>
>>17135146
https://www.intelligencecareers.gov/ check out some internships or just straight up jobs on there that interest you.
>>
>>17135146
I want to get out of hospitality because my girlfriend is a teacher and I'm sick of having to work weekends and nights and miss out on seeing her and my friends. Plus, it's not a sustainable career for when you're older.

I've got another major in history and a minor in philosophy, but I didn't mention them because they're pretty worthless lmao.

Every job ad I see is for call centre operators or professionals with >5 years experience. I've applied for a few generalist grad programmes, but they won't start til next year, and I'm not sure I even like my chances with them considering I'm now a bit older.

I can work under pressure. I've done shit in music events merchandising before – again, to glowing references all round. I only lost that job because the venue I worked for shut down (it was a smaller one), and all the bigger venues want more experience or in-field qualifications.

I just don't know how to apply or spin any of this hodge podge of experience to get a ~real job, nor what field to look into.
>>
>>17135156
Thanks man. I'm not an American, but I'll check out my country's equivalent I guess.
>>
It's an unfortunate fact that to get a job these days employers want you to be Experienced and certain about what roles you want. The days of being an all rounder or offered payment for a job someone thinks you'll be good at are gone with a job market as flooded as this.

Become a teacher like your girlfriend. It's where all the washed up STEM graduates end up anyway.
>>
>>17135202
Yup. Everyone preached at me to do STEM when I was a kid because it's the "key to a good future" but it's gotten me nowhere. It's my own fault for not doing my research, but I should've been a carpenter or some shit.
>>
>>17135214
Or, you know, picked a field with actual jobs and networks more.
>>
>>17135258
Thanks. That's so helpful after the fact. I'll just time machine my way out of this.
>>
Bumpoi
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.