[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to attempt to try to stop an online acquaintance from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: serveimage.jpg (112 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
112 KB, 500x333
I want to attempt to try to stop an online acquaintance from committing suicide.

They've already expressed plans being formed and a suicide letter written out. I already know their real name and the state they live in. They're living with relatives who do not know about their plans. They have already told trusted individuals in person that he's going to do it.

What can I do if anything at all? I live in an entirely different place from them, they haven't actually done anything yet, and the actual people who can stop them in person don't seem to be doing anything. They have a history of mental illness and they've been off their meds for some time now.

Is there anything else I could possibly do to stop them?
>>
File: 007.jpg (103 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
007.jpg
103 KB, 720x479
some answers are macabre
we tabooize suicide in our society, but if an individual does not believe they can take pain any longer, death can potentially provide relief
they aren't scared of the unknown, because what they do know is bad enough

but you can tell them how much they mean to you
if not for them, they could stick around for you
and hopefully find other things worth sticking around while they're at it
>>
>>17134772
I appreciate the reply, but if that was enough for them to want to keep living, I'm sure they wouldn't had come to this conclusion.

The fact that they're setting a date, telling people way before the fact, and even telling people who could stop them in person makes me think this isn't a case of wanting to die, but rather an extreme exhaustion.

I honestly hope that they decide to change their mind soon, but it's not looking that good as of right now. That's why I'm hoping there might be a solution that I might not be thinking of.
>>
File: 015.jpg (61 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
015.jpg
61 KB, 720x479
>>17134817
they seem determined
the only thing you can offer is your feelings and thoughts

you can physically stop them
in whatever manner
but that may confuse your goals

you are looking for answers that don't exist
holding out for a prayer may serve an ego right, and could work, but if you seek to convince them with what you know you have, you understand your best course of action

i'm sorry you're in this situation
at the very least, you can make the death a celebration rather than a mourning
rethink how to take what's happening

it's hard to win battles when the fight is yours only
maybe you should put down the sword and wave your hand
>>
>>17134871
I appreciate your input and point of view, but I won't give up on them until it reaches a conclusion, no matter what that may be.

I've already given them the words that I could have given, and I believe at that point there's nothing I can personally say that hasn't been said. I'm a believer of the old mantra, actions speak louder than words. If there's a chance I can help them live another day, I'll take that chance if I'm able to.

If they're absolutely determined to die, then they'll be able to do it regardless, but as long as they've reached out, I'm going to make the attempt.

As of right now, I'm talking to them and trying to make clear that suicide doesn't have to be the final choice. Not getting much traction on that front.

From my research, it doesn't seem like I can do much online-wise, so I'll have to figure out how to contact their family if I'm able. Are there no services that deal with reporting suicide risks or anything?
>>
File: 012.jpg (62 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
012.jpg
62 KB, 720x479
>>17135130
i'm not sure

contacting their family with your concerns is a good step on the action front

you seem as determined as they are

and you seem to know what you want

i wish you good luck
and hope whatever happens is good for both of you
>>
>>17134817
so your existence is not enough to justify life for them, but you expect there to be a way for you to keep them around for your own selfish reasons?

fuck off, just let them go in peace
>>
>>17135267
I think you've got the wrong idea about me. Do I get anything out them surviving? Not particularly, I only talk to them occasionally. Does he get future opportunities if he keeps living? Yeah, everyone does. I'd rather they have an attempt at those opportunities once they stabilize rather than do something during a bad patch. Mental illness is a hell of a ride.

It seems like the only thing I can do is contact their family, thanks for taking the time to contribute your thoughts.

>>17135276
Like I said, I'm an online acquaintance, why on earth would you want to live for someone you hardly know? And being an acquaintance, I would hardly say I have selfish reasons. If they want to die, they'll figure out a way to kill themselves, and if they didn't want to be stopped, they wouldn't have said anything. Especially to people they know in person and consider them good friends, not a letter, but face to face. Sorry man, but I don't find your reasoning to be applicable in this situation. Thanks for the input though, I'll keep that in mind when I talk to another suicidal person
>>
Some people just need to die. They are suffering by living. Leave him alone.
>>
>>17134743
Dox him and call the cops, theyll stop him from killing himself
>>
>>17134743
talk to them over the phone and listen to them talk and offer advice even if its wrong
>>
>>17135743
Fuck people who think it's their business to 'call the cops on them'.

As if that does anything for them but put them under suicidal watch for a couple days, which makes their life much worse, where they barely get any help, and where they will lose trust in you and make them lose the trust in reaching out to people for real help, support and advice.

All you fucking white knights think you're doing the right deed when you are fucking them up even more.

It's their decision so let it happen if they so wish. It isn't your RESPONSIBILITY or BUSINESS to keep anyone alive on this earth but yourself you ugly motherfucker.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.