[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Urgent life decisions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: simone_pepe.png (288 KB, 500x347) Image search: [Google]
simone_pepe.png
288 KB, 500x347
Hi ladies and gentlemen of /adv/,

I’m a 25 (almost 26) years old guy from a little town in Italy, and I need to make a quick decision regarding a master’s degree.

During my teen years I was a very naughty boy, fucking with drugs, getting flunked at school and shit like that. Fortunately, I got my shit up together for the last year and manage to get the diploma. Thanks to my first gf who supported me through that shit, I even decided to enrol in university, for the only major I was kinda good at: Modern Languages (English and Japanese) (inb4 weeb).

Not to brag but against all odds, I managed to become the top student, so I got a full ride scholarship and I got sent to Japan for 6 months, all paid… Things were looking pretty bright desu. While I was there though, I met a girl - a succubus from Melbourne. To chase her tail, I regrettably started neglecting my studies, because I was momentarily losing interest in everything but her. I am so fucking retarded.

So we actually get together, and things were pretty good; we were fucking like rabbits, we traveled together, we ‘loved’ each other, the whole shebang. So when the time came to go on our own ways, we were - well, I was pretty heartbroken. My resolve was to do something crazy: move to Australia as soon as I got the bachelor degree.

At 23 (normal age for Italians to graduate, because we start uni at 19-20), I get this piece of toilet paper, work for the summer to save for the ticket and move there. Well, as you may imagine, things quickly became pretty shit. We stayed at her parents’ house, she refused to move out with me because she didn’t want to spend money, she treated me like shit, we almost completely stopped fucking… And this thing went on for about 1.5 years… at least we were working. Obviously when the visa was up, we broke up, and I had to move back to my rents’ house (that luckily love having me around, God bless their fucking souls).

(1/2)
>>
>>17134169
(2/2)

Unfortunately, this shit period completely destroyed me psychologically, I still feel like I’ve lost my way, got very depressed, lost interest in all my hobbies, all my old friends aren’t around anymore etc etc. Hell, it’s been a year since I’ve had sex. I seriously wanted to kill myself for letting me come back to this shit hole… it’s now 8 months. The suicidal thoughts have mostly gone away, and I’m slowly trying to get myself back in shape.

But the sense of constant anxiety is still with me: I obviously have to do something with my life. My family suggested to do a master’s degree (in Italy it’s free, but it’s probably of shittier quality compared to other countries). So I tried talking to my old uni professors, and they suggested me or to go to the UK, try to work there and have a life or move to Naples, for a masters degree of two years in International Relations, with English and Japanese.

The university in Naples is pretty dysfunctional, like the city itself, but the quality of teaching is pretty good apparently.
The pros of it are that one of the professors is kinda related to me (muh nepotism), and if I’m a good student, I can go again to Japan, Tokyo this time, and get money for it. So the stay in Naples would be of only one year.
The cons are that Naples is a fucking shithole, the crime rate is pretty high and that it’s in fucking Italy (I actually want to move out of my country since I’ve been to Australia). Plus I’ll be 28 when this shit will be over.

What would you do in my place /adv/? Do the masters or try to move out of Italy and get whichever job, so I can have a semblance of a normal life?

Sorry for the long ass boring post, other than the eventual advice, I needed to vent too.
>>
bump before bed
>>
bumpino
>>
I am going to say this on behalf of any anons from the US with crippling student debt: you have no fucking idea how valuable a concept of a free ride in education is. You also have no fucking idea how valuable the concept of state-sponsored healthcare is.

28 is not the end of the world. I get that idiots think women hit menopause at 35 and die off at 40 while men magically turn into George Clooney at the same age.

As you say, even if you go to the university in Naples, you will eventually be sent on an exchange to Tokyo. Without the benefit of an exchange program, it's SHIT to live in Japan. You don't even get public healthcare in Japan and all the clinics close at 2pm and you're left wrangling with a chain store pharmacist on what is wrong with you and... look let's just stop it there.

If you feel that you are unable to make a decision on your life at the moment, having a bachelor's degree entitles you to teaching English abroad for a 2 year contract. I don't recommend you go back to Japan. Maybe try Korea or China, or heck, even like Indonesia or Tibet.
>>
Haha, I'm sorry but you're such a perfect stereotypical italian.

Well there is no right answer in your situation, both choices have pros and cons and you know best what you want. This being said, if I were you I'd try to get a job in Italy, or overboard, doesn't really matter. I don't know how it works there, but where I live you're supposed to work while you're getting a masters degree and the experience you get from work is more valuable than the masters degree anyway. So yeah, look for a job, worry about masters after that. But, if you want to live the country going for a masters is probably the best idea. Again, it's up to you.
>>
Does everyone in Italy live with their parents?
>>
>>17136223
So does the majority of people in the rest of the world. In most parts of the world, people assume there is something severely wrong with your family members if you live apart or on your own prior to marriage.

The driving children out of the nest thing is an English-speaking country phenomenon to begin with, and the global recession and rekting the housing market has prevented that from happening for a while now.
>>
Thank you guys for the replies.

>>17136220
>Without the benefit of an exchange program, it's SHIT to live in Japan
So are you saying that since it'd be an exchange program, it's actually better right? As opposed to just going there.

>having a bachelor's degree entitles you to teaching English abroad for a 2 year contract
Really? How do I look for this stuff? I don't know if it really applies for Italians but, that sounds like a very good idea.

>>17136221
>Haha, I'm sorry but you're such a perfect stereotypical italian
Haha why?? Is it the way I write? :'(

>I'd try to get a job in Italy
Heh let's not talk about that. I live in a very depressed zone, where they pay you around 500 euros a month for shit work like call centers. Compared to that, min wage in Australia seemed like paradise (and it actually was for me).

>>17136223
80% of people under 30 lives with their parents. Only very shit families kick their kids out here. If for example you're 40 but you're down on your luck, you can always go back home to your parents, no stigma. When the economy is so shit, everybody understands.
>>
>>17136286
Google simple things like "Teach English in (country)". Your university probably also has various advertisements for these sorts of things as well.

And yes, instead of going somewhere with a tourist visa and fucking around till visa runs out, having an actual purpose and aim to go to a country is heaps better.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.