[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is considered flirting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1456725756438.jpg (14 KB, 487x267) Image search: [Google]
1456725756438.jpg
14 KB, 487x267
Girls: When is something flirting and when is it just friendly talk?
>I'm asking this because I come from a terrible family where my parents would only argue and fight.
Short of complimenting someone's ass playfully what is considered flirty behaviour/flirting?
>>
>>17126498
Short answer: depends

Long answer: it really depends
>>
>>17126513

mostly this. as much as we try to break down human interaction, each person is different. you are thinking of yourself as an outsider in this situation trying to understand, but truth is we dont know. especially with women. women can be the most flirtatious creatures ever and then say 'WADDAFUGGG I THOUGHT WE WERE JUST FRIENDS?? D :'

if you are worrying about whether or not htey are flirting, just flirt back. plan to make a 'real' move. worse case scenario they say 'WHADAFUGG I THOUGHT WE WERE JUST FRIENDS D:''
>>
>>17126513
Ultimately this is the only real answer. The only thing you can say is that when people flirt they go out of their way to be friendly and make a connection - compared to how they normally act. So that's nothing. For some people it means giving a smile and asking a question, for others standing extremely close and brushing the guy's arm every other second.

So you still have to deduce how she acts to you compared to others, and develop some intuition. But tell tale signs are;
>you catch her looking at you a lot (biggest giveaway, people look at what holds their interest) - in groups when someone told a good story or made a funny joke and there's a group reaction, she looks at you to see your response
>smiling, touching, standing closer than they normally would
>putting the two of you in the same context... so pointing out all similarities, but also contrasting things, basically comparing the two of you often
>being quick to give you a nickname or try to generate/force inside jokes
>asking your opinion on a lot of things, specifically asking your opinion on clothes
>obviously remembering a lot of what you tell her, paying attention to details about you

What I think is the biggest (though not necessary) overall pattern that separates flirting from other interaction is that you break free from regular etiquette. It's kind of like male friends who playfully insult one another - in a way it is friendly because it is informal. By giving each other shit you are also kind of communicating that you have a bond that can take that. There is no need to walk on egg shells, you're with your own people.
This is kind of the reasoning behind banter or provocative comments as flirting. Even something that on paper would sound downright mean can be flirty and suggestive paired up with the right look/smile, because it is understood by both people that it is less about what's being said and more about the bold move of making contact in a way that is abnormal.
>>
>>17126513
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa-4IAR_9Yw
>>
>>17126538
Of course this doesn't happen all the time and many people flirt without this element of playfighting. But I think realizing that this is a thing and where it comes from (making it clear that this person is someone different to you, that you communicate with in a more playful and informal way than by sticking to step to step social etiquette) can give you a better understanding of what flirting is. Ultimately it all boils down to subtly letting someone know that you are taken with them some way or another. So for some sassy experienced girl that can mean melodramatically making fun of a guy and then flashing him the brightest smile she gave anyone that night right afterwards. For another girl who is less extroverted it could mean bringing a whole array of home baked goods to a bring your food party you threw where everyone else is bringing store bought cookies. For an awkward inexperienced girl it could mean running after you for three streets because you dropped some meaningless piece of old paper that might be important to you. These are different forms but they all come down to going an extra mile compared to "average" behavior in the situation.
>>
>>17126498
This guy gets it. >>17126513

Things to keep in mind:
>You don't need overt signals of interest to approach a girl.
If you approach and talk to many women, you'll quickly realize that girls you think are really into you actually aren't THAT into you, and could just be outgoing and friendly. Whereas the women you think are blowing you off or don't like you, might just not know you very well or are putting up a barrier as people tend to do.

>Even if someone IS flirting, it doesn't mean she wants you
Some women just enjoy flirting. For validation, or because it's fun. Women in the service industry will use their feminine charms to get good tips and repeat customers, so keep that in mind if you think a waitress or cashier is being really nice to you.
>>
>>17126563
>If you approach and talk to many women, you'll quickly realize that *sometimes* girls you think are really into you actually aren't THAT into you, and could just be outgoing and friendly.

Adding in the "sometimes" because it's case by case, but it happens
>>
>>17126563
>>17126538
>>17126518
>>17126513
I'm not asking if girls are flirting with me. Rather I'm asking if and when I'm flirting with girls because I don't quite grasp the concept.
I think I can be very charming when I'm up for it but then again I simply might not get when I'm flirting with someone and when I'm not
>>
>>17126609

you arent subconsciously flirting. you eihter are or you are not.

are you into the girl? then consider any ;positive interaction you throw at her to be you flirting. not into her? then congrats, you arent flirting.
>>
>>17126498
"Flirting" in general is kind of irrelevant at this point honestly, people these days are vague as fuck because they want to be able to flirt in the safest way possible without fear of rejection. It just leads to mixed signals and confused, horny people.

Just be friendly, and when you get to the point where you're alone with a girl watching Netflix or something then you can start acting saucy.
>>
>>17126620
>you arent subconsciously flirting. you eihter are or you are not.
but that's what I'm not so sure about.
>are you into the girl? then consider any ;positive interaction you throw at her to be you flirting
So does all positive interaction mean flirting just because of sexual tension with the opposite sex? I always thought of it more as a tone of voice and a smile, or a look.
>>
>>17126634

there is more specific fliritng sure, but if you like a girl, then flirt with her.

you are making this more complicated then it needs to be. as long as you act like you are interested in her as more than friend, you are flirting.
>>
>>17126651
> as long as you act like you are interested in her as more than friend, you are flirting.
I'm just not sure whether I'm consciously flirting or if I'm not at all
Say for one: what if I'm flirting with a middle-aged store clerk, even though I have no intent on chasing.
>>
>>17126690

stop.
>>
The concept of flirting is not a one sided affair. I want you to think about fat guy with poor hygiene. Picture him standing next to a model. Is there really a way he can flirt with her? At any point during an exchange of words, would the girl perceive him to be flirting?

If a girl believes you to be flirting, it's because she has some level of interest back. I was speaking with a coworker the other day, new girl, kinda cute. We just spoke of general shit that I would talk with literally anyone about. Future plans, schooling, drugs, blah blah blah. I've had the conversation a million times with a million different people. A couple days later, another coworker tells me that the new girl said I was flirting.

I know that I'm attractive. I know that I'm funny. I was not in any way attempting to get a date with this girl, I was making casual small talk on my 15 minute break. Why would she even think I was flirting with her, if she didn't subconsciously have an attraction to me?

Don't worry about this stupid shit OP. Just live your life how you like it and treat people right. If people think you're flirting, that's their problem and you're clearly doing something right.
>>
>>17126783

>if a girl perceives you to be flirting she has some level of interest back.

false. if she admits you are flirting maybe, but even then she will at least say 'anon wont stop hitting on me' to her friends. she may not use flirt cuz that soudns nicer than 'hitting on'.

girls can see you are interested.
>>
>>17126498
As a woman I always considered flirting to be conversing or utilizing playful body language while actively interested in and intentions of pursuing the other person either romantically or sexually. Apparently everyone in my life thinks friendly conversation is flirting though, so irdk.
>>
>>17126498
>When is something flirting and when is it just friendly talk?
When you're attractive and unattractive, respectively.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.