[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I join the army?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: index.jpg (10 KB, 319x158) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
10 KB, 319x158
I'm 25 and I can't get my life together. The prospect of finding employment freaks me out. I'm basically an undiagnosed autist. Should I go for it? What other options do I have?
>>
File: 1233255977804.jpg (23 KB, 414x425) Image search: [Google]
1233255977804.jpg
23 KB, 414x425
>>17123421
Do you have a degree? If so, what is it?

The army isn't quite a last resort. You need to be fit, and be reasonable. If you have a history of mental health issues or drugs or criminality, you'll be turned away.

The average joe can pass soldier selection pretty easily, if those negatives don't apply and they're not out of shape. It's passable money, but some roles will fuck you up for civvy life. Being infantry does not prepare you for civvy street.

>hi, what skills do you have?
>500 YARDS BEHIND THE TREE!
>>
>>17123551
Yeah I have a degree in biology, but its been over four years since I graduated and I can't remember shit. Pretty sure if I went into a job in that area I wouldn't even know what to do now. I'm not hugely in debt, only about £4000, so I figure I can get out of it in a few years.

I don't think I'm suitable for a normal job desu. I can't even drive or look people in the eyes.
>>
Little known fact is that the army is more selective than most universities. People laugh when I tell them this, but think about how many people get into university who are overweight, asthmatics, have OCD or psychological issues, have physical disabilities, have criminal records, etc etc.
>>
>>17123574
Oh, you're British, too.

Go Army Medical Corps. You might be able to get a sponsorship of some sort, too, because of your degree.

You could also try and go officer, but I'd go soldier first.

>I can't even drive or look people in the eyes.
Nah, that's easily fixed by phase 1 training. I don't like doing it either, and I hate social interaction, but I can do it now.
>>
>>17123584
Shit not to hijack a thread, not OP also British degree in software engineering, army a bad job?
>>
>>17123421
do it fgt do it please fucking do it bish
>>
>>17123584
Thanks anon, I had a thought down that road. I was thinking of taking this course:
https://www.army.mod.uk/rolefinder/role/228/student-nurse

Thing is, If I do I'll be like 30 by the time I get my first job. I was just wondering if its really worth it.
>>
>>17123584
>Nah, that's easily fixed by phase 1 training. I don't like doing it either, and I hate social interaction, but I can do it now.

Don't know about that, man. I've seen my share of these when I was in the army and played a part in getting two them psych discharges.
>>
Just get on the dole and move to council housing
>>
>>17123603
You can always go reserve first.

>>17123593
I can't think of anything that you could use your degree in, but a degree in itself shows recruiters that you're not stupid.
>>
>>17123628
Sorry anon, I'm a bit of a shithead. Isn't army reserve just like a part time job?
>>
>>17123640
Jesus christ, I'm not a fucking recruiter or a private or JNCO standing in town with fucking leaflets

>Isn't army reserve just like a part time job?
Kind of.

You'll train in your spare time, but you can still do deployments, and your employer HAS to let you go on them if you so choose, and they can't fire you for it.

I forget what the max number of days you can put in is, I think it's around 200 and something every year. Whether or not you can get work for that long is another story.
>>
>>17123658
How do I join your unit?
What are the benefits of joining the army?
A pension? will they pay my student debt?
Not OP
Thanks very much for all the advice.
>>
>>17123679
>How do I join your unit?
No. There's already a frogposter in here, but he doesn't know who I am, and I don't care to have any more frogtards in here so,

>What are the benefits of joining the army?
What kind of a question is that? You get money, and travel expenses to and from your barracks.

>a pension
Hahahahahaha--- I mean yes, yes there is.

>will they pay my student debt?
Sorry, what? Why would the Ministry of Defence pay your student loan off for you? Your wage is for whatever you want to spend it on, they're not going to pay off your student loan just because.

You're asking a lot of basic questions that could be answered by basic searching.

I need to sleep.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.