[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>used to love technology >felt that scientific and technological
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: iphone-6s-34.jpg (185 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
iphone-6s-34.jpg
185 KB, 1200x675
>used to love technology
>felt that scientific and technological advancement were the keys to human evolution and achievement
>major in a technology related field
>throughout college I slowly start to resent technology
>I realize that modern technology has turned us into bumbling retards, completely distracted from reality by bright screens
>realize that technology has greatly increased the pace of modern life, reducing the time everyone has to simply exist, contributing to the west's growing mental health problems
>realize that we are constantly exposed to advertisements at all times, it is literally impossible to avoid being advertised to
>can't even go to a movie without seeing an advertisement in the form of product placement
>can't even hang out with friends without having them post about it on facebook
>realize I play video games primarily for the purpose of escapism, to avoid my shitty life
>unable to decide if I even want to play video games anymore, even though I crave them

Anyone else share any of these feels? Are these feels rational? I've felt this way for about a year now. I know that saying fuck it and working on a farm certainly won't be enjoyable either, but I'm so dissatisfied with what the 21st century has had to offer. I have no idea who I even am anymore. I feel like I have taken the complete wrong turn in my life and have no idea what to do.
>>
>euphoric
>>
>>17120546
Sounds like you're having a quarter life crisis.
Well, I agree with a lot of what you're saying- technology isn't the problem. It's people being shitty. You can for the most part avoid advertisment with adblock- so, there's that.
Everything has it's pros and cons- advanced communication and technology isolates us while bringing us closer together. I can see friends and family that live on the other side of the world in real time, etc. I'd recommend reading the book Alone Together- takes a serious look at the issue.
>>
>>17120559
Thanks for the book recommendation. I also had no idea that a quarter-life crisis was even a thing, but it seems to sum up what I'm experiencing now.

The only problem is that it's too late to really change my direction. I'm $20,000 in debt, freshly graduated from school and without a job. I know there is no way I can go back to school to learn something else unless it's free or incredibly cheap.
>>
>>I realize that modern technology has turned us into bumbling retards
Modern technology is the reason why we leave in the most peaceful and prosperous period of humanity.
>realize that we are constantly exposed to advertisements at all times, it is literally impossible to avoid being advertised to
Use adblock, mute ads on tv.
>>realize I play video games primarily for the purpose of escapism, to avoid my shitty life
If you feel like you have an unhealthy addiction then it's good that you recognize it and want to free yourself. However the fact your addiction involves technology doesn't mean quack. Sure you can move to a farm to avoid technology, and then let's say you meet people who are addicted to fucking animals. What's your next move? You'll make the edgy statement that animals are ruining society and then you'll move to the city to avoid all animals? If you keep having extreme reactions to overgeneralizations then you'll never get anywhere. Enjoy the good side of technology and avoid the bad side, it's that simple.
>>
>>17120600
Try to find work in your field, save up for a few years and go back to school if you aren't happy with your career. Just be happy you went into a field with job opportunities and got a degree. Time is never wasted, and the knowledge you gained in school will always be usefull.
>>
There's more to technology to smartphone apps and web advertising man.

There is technology outside of silicon valley IT.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.