[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
buying a house after getting my degree
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: mortgage-renewal.jpg (409 KB, 825x582) Image search: [Google]
mortgage-renewal.jpg
409 KB, 825x582
I live in Victoria, BC, Canada and I am going to graduate with a degree in computer science in 12 months. My parents live here and don't charge me for rent, food, or gas. They also pay my tuition and give me spending money. They aren't going to start charging me after I graduate either, but they will stop giving me money.

Housing prices are absofuckinglutely insane in this town, but they are even more insane in Vancouver so I am staying here. Last year, the average house price in Victoria was just over 580,000 dollars. Now it's over 680,000 dollars. That's an almost 20% increase in one year. Once a house costs 1,000,000 dollars or more, a 20% down payment is mandatory.

(1/2)
>>
>>17118480
I have calculated that it will take me 3 years to save 100,000 dollars after I graduate in may assuming that my starting salary is 49,000 dollars, which is predicted by a career website I found, and I get a raise of 5,000 dollars each year, which is pretty common from what I have read on the web. If I stay home, my expenses will only be 500 dollars a month for car insurance, gasoline, and entertainment. If I move out, life becomes so expensive that it will take 6 years for me to save as much money, at which point the housing market will be even more crazy.

Now comes the bad part. I had some health issues in first year, and I changed faculties in third year, so I am going to graduate at 25 instead of 23. This means that I will be dangerously close to being 30 and still living at home if I stay home to save for a down payment, which could really hurt my chances of getting laid and finding a wife. Most people get married from 25 to 35, and I really don't want to spend time living at home in that age range. It hasn't come up with women so far, but most of the women I date are also students or are under 23. This is Canada's 2nd least affordable housing market, so it's probably a little more common to live at home than elsewhere, but it's still stigmatized.

What do you guys think I should do? Should I stay home and save up the down payment quickly or move out so I can find a wife easier?

(2/2)
>>
I don't know OP but I fucking love Victoria and want to move back one day. My favourite city in Canada
>>
>>17118487
That's why it's so fucking expensive.
>>
>>17118480
Why don't you settle for something less than a house or move to a different province?
>>
>>17118589
>Why don't you settle for something less than a house

It's a waste of money to buy anything less than a house. I'm not looking to buy a mansion here.

Do you mean rent?

>or move to a different province?

There are way less software development jobs outside of Vancouver and Toronto. I am already taking a risk by staying in Victoria, but the cost of living in Vancouver is so bad that it will probably pay off to stay here. The only other place I would consider living outside of the Vancouver/Victoria area is Toronto, and it is also expensive as hell and cold as fuck in the winter.
>>
Stay home and save as long as you can. Anything that lets you save money is something you should take advantage of. If you actually start getting serious with a woman, consider getting your own place to rent, but don't count your chickens before they've hatched. That is, don't make decisions based on things that haven't happened yet.
>>
>>17118655
What if women don't even give me a chance because I'm living at home, or the only ones that will are fatties or ones that don't have degrees?
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.