[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey I'm a semester away from graduating with an engineering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1445905316828.jpg (31 KB, 533x558) Image search: [Google]
1445905316828.jpg
31 KB, 533x558
Hey

I'm a semester away from graduating with an engineering degree. I like what I've been learning regardless of how frustrating school is at times. My grades are pretty good for my major and the school I'm going to (above 3.0 GPA). However I realize now, that once I graduate, I really don't want to work 40 hours a week, and would be willing to take a proportional reduction in salary to work half of that as an engineer. Problem is... that doesn't exist. There are no part time engineers.

I don't want to be a slave, but no company is willing to invest time and money into a young employee, only for them to be half as developed ten years down the line. Has anyone else on here felt this way? I just value my peace and free time far too much, and I am willing to reduce my living standards in exchange for free time. The only solutions I see: start my own business, and hopefully one day, after potentially years of more than 40hrs/week, I'll be able to relax and enjoy my spare time. Or I could enter another, less demanding profession, though this will be challenging because I didn't study in that field, and may not enjoy it much.

I'm ok with admitting I'm lazy, because I realize I value time more than money. What do I do?
>>
>>17101732
There are 2 ways both require a lot of work upfront

Start your own business. Bust ass until it is developed enough you can go part time. There is a good chance the business will fail as 80% of all businesses fail in 5 years.

Live well below your means and chase paychecks after college. Invest every cent you can. Retire when 3% of your investments will provide for all of your yearly expenses. You need about $700k to get $20k/yr in income.

>Or I could enter another, less demanding profession, though this will be challenging because I didn't study in that field, and may not enjoy it much.

Any job that pays enough to you to live even a basic existence requires at least 40 hours a week.
>>
>>17101776
OP here. I'm just a little disenchanted with how much work is required of the average person in the 21st century. I read this article:

http://strikemag.org/bullshit-jobs/

"On the Phenomenon of Bullshit Jobs"

I just don't think anyone should have to work a full 40 hours a week working a job they may or may not enjoy in order to survive. The 9-5 is antiquated.
>>
>>17101732
When you are looking for "part time job" as a student from university, you have to replace all part-time words with practice (like Practice for diploma thesis) or "I want to work on your topic for diploma thesis".

These kind of sentences can carry you through HR departments straight to real departments where the real stuff is done. However you still need to shoot emails pretty much over any companies around you.

>I don't want to be a slave
Well, I study + part time job at Bosh basically as a software engineer who is paid the same money you get as a cashier at shop (I know this because I was between my first year of study). But I really like what I do there, I will start with 1 year of experience in my job list and possible with confirmed job.

However with little money comes no responsibility. When I need to school, I just shoot email I won't come next two weeks and they can't do a shit.

It was hard to get there, but I don't regret it. And I believe my boss doesn't regret too. In fact he asked me to bring my schoolmates too if I can.
>>
I feel you OP. 9-5 is unnatural. I plan to escape by becoming a Buddhist monk. In the meantime I save like a super Jew (90% of my income) and hope I'll be able to take a super early retirement
>>
40 is not bad
you dont have anything better to do
if you have a comfy enviornment and like the work you wont have a problem with it
>>
>>17101732
>>17102140
Op you're being a complete bitch complaining about 40 hours a week. That's fucking nothing, man, especially if it's in a field you like. Just suck it up and fuck off
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.