[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how to start dating
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: arm-exercises-without-weights.jpg (47 KB, 713x380) Image search: [Google]
arm-exercises-without-weights.jpg
47 KB, 713x380
I'm a 28 year old guy and never been on a date in my life. I have been going to therapy for a few months and trying to better myself. I own a house, have a college degree and a good job, I work out and I'm still a small guy but I'm not a skinny weak kid either. For the past few months I have been trying to dress and look better and try new things to meet new people. I have figured out that it's OK to share feelings and have personal conversations, and for the first time I think I am close enough to my friends that they would notice if I left. I think that by any objective metric I've improved myself to the point that I'm dateable.

I'm still having trouble with dating though. Never having done it, I'm not even sure how to start. I have been trying to talk to new people, and I've been in the online dating world for a while. Any time I talk to someone I don't know, I really have no interest in getting to know them. I guess it would be different if they were into it, but usually I'm just asking questions of someone and it feels more like an interview because I'm trying to learn about them and they don't seem to care or reciprocate. Have I just not actually found someone who is interested in me? Online dating seems like more of a chore than anything else, and even with all my efforts I have only had a few people even respond to my messages, and I have not been on an actual date.
>>
Meeting people is hard but at least youre making an effort

what about coworkers or your group of friends? anyone there who can help you meet someone who will at least go on a date?
>>
The thing with online dating is that it just feels artificial and mechanical. Ever tried joining an interest group to meet people? Or try volunteering? Basically form activities that open you up to human interaction?
>>
File: 1423965345750.jpg (1 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
1423965345750.jpg
1 MB, 1936x2592
i'm 28 and never been on a date either but that's largely been by my own choice, since i've never cared for intimacy and i'm a bit asexual. anyway, op, i'm pretty good looking and have noticed that when females are attracted to me they'll enjoy talking about anything, act interested, etc and do more than the reluctant interview answers thing. you're probably running into girls who just don't feel much attraction to you, hence the disinterest. just keep trying if it's what you really want.

i'd like to say though that you've probably built up an unrealistic expectation of how glorious life is with a mate when in reality you may find you were better off alone all along. i realized this at a very young age, a decade ago in fact, and never looked back even once. my interests consume too much of my time and energy to leave room for getting involved in a relationship.

if your sex drive is the root cause of the problem, ie you're always horny and are tired of masturbating, you'd be better off working on learning how to neutralize it and restrain yourself rather than seeking a mate to express it with naturally. there's a tremendous clarity that comes with neutralizing your sex drive that most guys don't get to experience until they're at retirement age when it's far too late to act on it. most guys spend their whole lives chasing pussy, doing everything for it. successful businessmen know that avoiding this trap is essential to success. pic related.
>>
>>17112088
not OP, but

>you were better off alone all along
>tremendous clarity that comes with neutralizing your sex drive

What you say is right. But I always crash after a couple of weeks because an overwhelming sense of lonelyness and then can't keep up with my business.
can you drop some links,so I canimprove my neutering skills and care less about women?

but what I've also noticed, is that people that never managed to include their sex drive into their personality are the most bland, boring and pathetic wankers around.
>>
What are your own interestes?

You might be able to find a class or something where you can meet people who are into the same thing you are so instantly you have some common ground to build on.
>>
>>17112088
OP again

From the time I was 16 until I was 26, I worked all the time. I had a job that provided a great adrenaline rush and involved saving lives on a daily basis. It was great and I was very fulfilled. I didn't make a conscious effort to avoid dating or friendships, but I didn't care about being social at all.

Two years ago I got a better job that I still love, but it doesn't provide the adrenaline rush and is less fulfilling. I'm also working a more normal schedule with less hours which means more free time. It's been getting worse over that time, but I have been feeling more and more lonely. Getting closer to my friends has helped, but not completely. That's the reason for my recent life changes.

I guess I should focus on trying to find better hobbies that I actually enjoy. I'm in the gym about 8 hours a week, and I have some other hobbies, but none of it is really fulfilling. I don't know the last time I did something and afterwards felt "wow, that was fun".

Sex drive has nothing to do with it. I don't masturbate too often, and it is something that I do when I am bored rather than something that I have some strong need to do.
>>
>>17112088
>i'd like to say though that you've probably built up an unrealistic expectation of how glorious life is with a mate when in reality you may find you were better off alone all along.... my interests consume too much of my time and energy to leave room for getting involved in a relationship.

I generally feel like this, as well. The amount of time that goes into relationships (that is practically mandatory) is ridiculously high. I think for me, as well, it's a refusal to settle for second-rate. Beyond negative socialization experiences (at school and home, mostly adults), I am way out of the league of most of the women supposedly in my league. The problem with your picture is that by the time you have success it's really too late... unless you are robbing the cradle. It will probably take you until 35 years of age if you are intelligent, diligent, and socially aware enough to get a high-status job. It's really not comparable to having have been high status the entire time (at least socially) and dating women as you progress through life. Even high-status jobs won't make you attractive unless you have certain personality features to go along with it—this doubling for STEM autists.

>>17111930
>For the past few months I have been trying to dress and look better and try new things to meet new people.

I would be very cautious if I were you. Women prey on socially inept people with nice incomes all the time. In all likelihood, unless you are getting a young wife (which women will try to talk you out of, because it's "gross"), you are getting someone near the end of her fertility and attractiveness. I hate to be the pessimist, but many people in your situation never get their reward for their efforts, and with no-fault divorces and child support (watch out for paternity fraud, too) you can easily fall into a trap.
>>
>>17111930
>but usually I'm just asking questions of someone and it feels more like an interview because I'm trying to learn about them and they don't seem to care or reciprocate
You need to learn how to b8, so you can catch a d8, m8
>>
>>17112561
>it's really too late
good post, but it's never too late really

>my interests
you could also conscously change your interests for the sake of having 2-4 children.
grow up man.>>17112088
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.