[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I am at a loss for what to do here, and am hoping to get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: work[1].jpg (23 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
work[1].jpg
23 KB, 400x300
So, I am at a loss for what to do here, and am hoping to get some advice on how I should proceed with this matter.

About a month and a half ago, my boss, with whom I am friends, made a mistake on an inventory order (fast food), which resulted in us not having any of some of our foodstuff. She took me aside and asked me if I would go to the store in the next town over (which is like an hour and a half drive, I live in Wyoming) and pick some up. She told me that I would be allowed to stay clocked in, AND that I would get paid mileage. I make $9.25/hr, mileage for the company is $0.30/hr, and I drove 206.8 miles and was clocked in for exactly 3 hours, meaning I was expecting $89.79 after completion.

Then, like 3 days later, my boss takes me aside before I clock in and tells me that after a 2 hour discussion, higher-ups had decided that since this was an under-the-table exchange, I could choose to be paid either for the miles OR for the time, but not both, because the thing I retrieved was "not worth $90".

I was pissed. However, since she was my friend, i decided to let myself try and calm down before I did anything rash, and just said "ok".

I completed my shift that day, and before leaving asked to speak to her in our office. I told her that I made an agreement with the company, which I completed my end of, and so I expect them to also hold to their end of the agreement. I also said that I would be willing to take legal action if necessary.

She told me that she would pay me the $30 for my hourly pay and I told her that I was okay with that. I left satisfied with the resolution, having averted losing my job over, essentially, $30.

For two weeks after that, I began noticing my boss was avoiding me. At one point, during conversation, she made a comment that I took to be insulting my ability to understand something.
>>
I tried brushing them off, but then, my roommate (who is also friends with her because of me), told me that he was upset with how I had handled the situation with her.

I was upset, but I don't like operating on heresay, so the next day I asked to talk with my boss after work again. I asked her if there was something wrong, as I'd gotten the vibe that there was, and she told me that she took what I said (that I would be willing to take legal action against the company) as me wanting her to lose her job. She then told me that our friendship was "tenuous at best".

again, in an attempt to not mess this up any more, I told her that I just wanted to know what was going on, and that I would try and get a hold of her later to talk about it.

As of today, a month later, I have tried to contact her 4 times outside of work (2 skype messages a week apart, then 2 text messages a week apart), simply asking to talk with her about it. I even asked her at work if she'd been getting my messages, to which she replied that she never saw the skype messages and saw I'd texted her but didn't have a chance to look at it. Over the last few days, I have specifically seen her on her phone texting and skyping my roommate, and have even heard him talking about talking to her on skype and through text, so I know she hasn't "not seen them".

I don't know what to do from here. She's someone I consider a close friend, and she won't even talk to me. She's judging me for words and intentions that I didn't say or have, and it pisses me off. I've lost sleep, making me grumpy at work because I can't get this out of my mind. I don't want to talk to her about it at work while we're working, because it's often way too busy, making anything but small talk a misery.

Can you suggest anything I should do or be doing?
>>
>>17103572
That sucks bro, you should have really demanded to speak with the "higher-ups" about that, especially if you were prepared to threaten legal action. Either way, you should have at least given her an opportunity to resolve the issue before you threatened her. Ultimately though, she probably wasn't much of a friend if she was willing to let you get keelhauled like that.
>>
You've learned a lesson: don't be too close to someone who's your boss. Sorry.
>>
>>17103592
If she had told me that morning that she intended to pay me, I would have been okay with it. She let me go the whole day thinking i just had to live with it.

So I thought, since she's my friend, I would be able to say those things and she would understand my frustration, we could fix it, and laugh at it later.
>>
>>17103630
We were friends before she was my boss, technically. In fact, I trained her, then took a year off. When I got back, she was my boss.

I would even be fine losing her friendship if it weren't for her judging me for something so drastically different from my character. I feel like I can't leave it like that.
>>
Did she pay you back yet? If not, don't expect it with the attitude she's giving you.

If you wanna clear things up and make her feel better about herself just apologize about the thirty-dollars and say you won't take it and how you have moved on and you'll talk to her next time something serious happens rather than threaten to sue; all that sob story garbage, etc.
>>
She obv. Got into trouble with the district manager or some other higher up, and probably felt betrayed or hurt when you insisted on getting your (fair) compensation, which she apparently wasnt authorised to give out.
>>
>>17103646
She has paid me already.

>>17103648
I honestly hadn't thought about how much trouble she had potentially gotten into.

Still though, she wouldn't get fired over $90. I would be the only one to get fired over this if anyone got fired, right? They're not gonna fire their salaried assistant manager over an hourly paid supervisor, right?
>>
I don't really get it. She's a close friend and you couldn't just speak to her normally?

If my boss had pulled that kind of shit I would have flipped out immediately. It's unethical and the fact it wasn't technically worth $90 is bullshit because they needed the stock.

She should have offered that money up front or stood up for you harder. The fact you even needed to ask suggests she's a shitty person and you weren't friends. I'd just ignore it and accept she isn't worth it. She's a manager at a fast food restaurant -- she's not going anywhere fast.
>>
>>17103747
Oh, I wanted to, but I kept a level head to try and avoid losing my job or something.

Close might have been the wrong word. Good friend would have been better, my apologies.

I might be able to just ignore it if it weren't for how egregiously she misinterpreted my intentions. I almost find it insulting she'd think I wanted to get her fired. I don't even want some of the shittier employees fired, I know how much that sucks.
>>
See, when you started getting super agitated and threatening legal action and whatnot, you messed up your relationship with her. You made it seem like you were holding her personally responsible for you not getting paid, and no one wants to hear that from a close friend. I'm not saying that they were right not to pay you, but I'm saying that you didn't handle this correctly. To be fair, I'm not sure how else you could have handled it since the only person you could have talked to about this was your friend so you were stuck between a rock and a hard place, but I do think the way you behaved damaged both your working and personal relationship with her
>>
>>17103570
If you value the friendship, take them aside and apologize sincerely for the way you acted. Don't try to justify, just explain that you acted inappropriately and hope they forgive you.
>>
>>17103785
How does "i will take legal action against the company" equate to "I am holding you responsible for me not getting paid"? Perhaps this is where the problem lies, I can't see how those two things have anything to do with each other.

>>17103798
But when? We're at work to get paid, I don't want to take her aside on the clock to talk about a personal matter. neither of us is at work earlier than our shift, and neither of us gets off at the same time usually either. I have been trying to talk to her for weeks to do precisely that.
>>
>>17103851
It doesn't matter when you do it.
Stop her at work of you have to, it will only take a minute and will potentially salvage your friendship.
>>
>>17103851
>How does "i will take legal action against the company" equate to "I am holding you responsible for me not getting paid"? Perhaps this is where the problem lies, I can't see how those two things have anything to do with each other.
Because from her perspective, it was her you were getting mad at, when all she was doing was passing on the message. Threatening legal action is an overreaction over something like this too.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.