[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weight and mental issues
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 263x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 263x350
Being overweight seems commonly seen as a red flag. Mainly because some fibdit repulsive, but also because it is associated with having issues.
What are the issues associated with being overweight? What personality traits make a person gain weight in the first place?
>>
>>17096300
Eating is associated with relief from anxiety. Maybe when you feel bored or anxious, you have a little snack. But that doesn't actually "sate" you, it just keeps the anxiety at bay.

Then it gets easier to rationalize. You just have bad genes. This is your set point. Really, it's everyone else's fault for making fun of you for being fat. So you eat some more to make the bad feelings go away.

Think of fat as a symptom of something bigger. At the very least, an unhealthy relationship with food.
>>
>>17096321
Well, i am overweight. I have lost a bunch of weight often, just to gain in all back again. Or even more. I think it's time to get to the roots of this crap instead of threating the symptoms. It's not even just willpower. I can lose weight. It's obv not genes or shit like that. But the weak will, the lazynes and all that seems to be from a different source and i need to kill that source so i can finally have some peace with my weight. (ofc i'll still have to eat below maintainance and exercise... It's just pointless if i'll gain it all back again. I need to fix the issues behind it simultaneously)
>>
>>17096300
The main reason I dislike fat people as because of the lack of self-control and discipline.
>>17096332
Get a hobby, lift and read, that would be enough to get you addicted to self improvement, if you are a guy visit the TheRedPill, you may disagree with all the sexual market thingy, but about self-improvement they are making a good job, I myself have lost 10kg (22lbs) of fat and gained a serious amount of muscle.
>>
>>17096332
>It's not even just willpower.
But it is though. If you don't have the willpower to stay at your new maintenance food amount then you lost the willpower to eat that much and went back to your old habits.

>>17096346 is right, you need to lift and gain muscle, since more muscle requires more calories to maintain it'll give you a bit more wiggle room.
>>
>>17096390
Alright, it is. But why is it that some people have no problems with will power and others struggle with it so horribly?
>>
>>17096392

Because anxiety and other psych problems make you burn through willpower like a motherfucker. If your diet feels like a chore or a punishment, you won't stick with it.
>>
>>17096398
Makes sense.
So, how do i get rid of this whole anxiety shit? I go to therapy, got medication last year (which made me gain the lost weight back again, or so i tell myself). I want to get over with this once and for all
>>
I have a fat fetish, srsly dat fat.
>>
>>17096392
Its not only will power, it also body constitution, I myself am endomorph (wider bones, shorter, bigger joints, more robust) (I win fat easy, but also win muscle easily) so I must count my calories to avoild getting overweight. There are other kinds of body types as Ectomorphs they have it hard to win muscle as well as fat (commonly known as "hard gainers") they sometimes can be real calory burning facilities, I have a female friend who eats like a pig, but is skinny as fuck, weight no more than 50 kg (110 lbs). It's not just will power, many people eat heluva a lot, but only endomorphs get obese.
>>
>>17096415
What do you even like about it?
>>
>>17096419
Yeah. I know a lot of people like that. Usually, they don't have any willpower either. They smoke, drink, do drugs, have other addictions. But they don't gain weight. It's frustrating af. If i'm not eating perfectly and keeping a tight exercise regime, i get fat as all hell
>>
>>17096419
>>17096428
Unless you're counting their calories there is no scientific basis for this. Weight is simply calories in calories out, and skinny people generally eat less.
>>
>>17096526
i lived with 4 of them. and alone the food i SAW them eat was more than i ate. and i knew for a matter of fact that they don't do any exercise.
>>
>>17096526
nah, it's not.
if you were educated like a lot of us, you'd realize that a calorie isn't a calorie and that the human metabolism is the most complex open system with variations in energy exchange operating at different levels based on nutrient profile to certain epigenetic profiles based on ethnicity.
when you spew shit like "a calorie is a calorie" you're diminishing that person's need for a tailored approach to weight loss. Why? Probably because it's easy for you. So if it's easy to maintain for you, people have to be real fucking lazy not to accomplish what you accomplish.
This just comes down to ignorance, which is fine, you can read more and fix it. What's not fine is arrogance and deliberate obtuseness. For all the talk about willpower you should at the very least have the willpower and discipline to educate yourself.
>>
>>17096556
Yeah what sample size, the 4 people I lived with. I'm convinced. Fuck off obesity research facility, some fagstick rando lived with 4 lazy roommates.
>>
>>17096556
Sounds like conformation bias to me. You probably saw them eat more than you a couple of times and that made you feel like they always eat that way. Thin people overeat sometimes but it balances out over time so they maintain a similar weight.
>>
The thing is that the consensus seems to be that it starts out as a behavioral pattern problem that becomes pathological with neurotransmitters and other systems adapting to the obesity. That's why the government is so keen on making sure kids don't get overweight. Because if you're obese for a long time, you'll likely need surgery to get it off and keep it off.
As for it being a behavioral problem well I mean take your pick, it could be PTSD, medication side effects, depression, or it could be just poor upbringing that eventually manifests itself in stubborn obesity. Not every fat person is a depressive lunatic or doesn't have discipline, it's possible that fat person had depression and an associated lack of discipline for so long that once they get better and get the discipline back, it requires too much for too long for them to stay on track hence the 95% failure rate. Maybe you don't know what it's like on your body to lose 10 BMI points. You should drop by our clinic and ask. We are literally struggling to think of a way to keep them from regaining the weight without them having to resort to surgery.

Anyways, let this be a lesson, if you for some reason slack off over the holidays and gain 10 lbs. Get it off as fast as possible. And take care of your mental health.

Don't be judgmental and have compassion. Yes our culture is lazy but you don't know how deep the fat hole goes.
>>
>>17096332
fight your anxiety and self worth problems by becoming a master in some things that you like and others find impressive.
like speaking foreign languages, playing in a band, running a marathon every year. you can always look forward to it and dedidace yourself if you don't feel good at times.
don't treat yourself with food, you're not a dog
>>
File: 1460841157772.png (440 KB, 921x741) Image search: [Google]
1460841157772.png
440 KB, 921x741
>>17096568
Okay since you are educated on the science of human metabolism, mind linking me to non-biased studies regarding how a calorie isn't a calorie?

From everything that Ive read, the metabolic difference between two people of same height, weight and body fat percentage is about 100 calories at max.

Meaning you cant use the muh metabolism meme when you stuff your face with over 5000 calories a day.

Energy can not be created or destroyed, only converted into different forms.

>>17096556
They ate more, but what did they eat differently?

I can eat 2000 calories and make it look like a lot of food or I can eat a whole bag of trail mix.

Different foods have different nutritional profiles. Also what was their activity level like?

There are too many variables that you haven't accounted for.
>>
>>17096994
oh yeah and try to avoid chaos by planning. life is chaotic, no doubt, but learn to focus on fewer things, don't pick up so many new things, try to live your life on a higher tier of quality. fight the entropy and the jews.
>>
>>17096997
gary taubes goes into an in depth discussion about sugar and how it's processed in the liver

you could start there.
>>
>>17096997
and please don't bring the thermodynamics grade school shit into this, it's already been agreed on that those don't apply to complex open biological systems.

thanks.
>>
>>17096997

if you ate 5k calories of fat you would actually lose weight as opposed to 5k calories of sugar

you'd wreck your kidneys in the process but you would still lose weight
>>
actually this sums it up really nicely you should give it a read

http://drhyman.com/blog/2014/04/10/calories-dont-matter/
>>
here's another one! i know i shouldn't be spoon feeding this information (and it's kinda lazy of you to ask)

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2012/06/when-a-calorie-is-not-just-a-calorie/
>>
File: 1462034061163.jpg (69 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1462034061163.jpg
69 KB, 640x640
>>17097774
>>17097741
>>17097692
>>17097679
>>17097677
This is good information. As much as I'd enjoy punching your face in for being a dick, I agree with your point now.

Also your lack of wanting to educate others who are less knowledgeable on a topic is disgusting. Reach one teach one.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.