[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok so i need some advice. I went to college and got a degree,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: work-384745_960_720.jpg (87 KB, 960x678) Image search: [Google]
work-384745_960_720.jpg
87 KB, 960x678
Ok so i need some advice. I went to college and got a degree, (2 year degree) to work with my father in his business, and to eventually take over for him. I've been working there for almost a full year now full time and im not sure that i like it. I sort of want to be like a mailman or package deliverer.
The problem is that the only people working there are my aging father, myself and my younger brother, who is only half paying attention at any given time. If i quit i feel like i will be leaving him out to dry and if something happens to the business than it will be my fault. What should i do?
>>
A little more info:

Also money is a factor. Right now i make just above minimum wage and technically dont work full time. I rarely get 8 hour days. So on average i make about $500 every 2 weeks after taxes. My wife that i need to care for is having alot of trouble finding a job (a thing we didnt anticipate after moving back to my hometown), and this has left us on food stamps.

After i go through 2 big tests 2 years apart in my current job i would about double my wage.

However, i know mail drivers make more than that as a starting pay, have better benefits and paid vacation.

so i guess the real question is how do i morally leave this job behind?
>>
bumping post. i feel like im trapped.
>>
>>17092923
Ask him to bump your salary to a living wage and give you more responsibilities, say $15, or tell him you have to find gainful employment elsewhere. Explain to him that you want the business to succeed, but the interests of the family you made comes first.
>>
>>17093022
i dont think that getting more money from himis even possible. he doesnt even pay himself for his hours worked. when he does, he pays himself 15 an hour.

i think you might be right on the second poin though. he once told me that he worked like a dozen different jobs before he found the one he likes. like he went to school to be a mechanic, quit that, did glass work, quit that, built houses for a while, etc. I guess it would be taking after him just in a different way.
>>
>>17093038
well then don't feel guilty about being open with him that you aren't enjoying the work and want to find something different because clearly that's something he'd understand
>>
>>17093046
you're right i bet he'd understand. I guess im one of the people that will do about anything to avoid confrontation. Thats something to work on probably.

do you think that i should work towards another job before i tell him so im not unemployed while i find something, incase it does go south?
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.