[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For the first time since graduating college, I've worked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
For the first time since graduating college, I've worked for the same company for more than a year. The problem is I live in Los Angeles where finding a full-time job is difficult and, even if you do, living on a single wage is near impossible.

I had a job offer today from a summer camp in the midwest, where I'm from. I've been thinking about moving back. I'm concerned that after the summer camp well paying office jobs will think I'm a job hopper again because I left a stable source of income to move to my home state for a temporary position.

I took the position because most places won't hire out of state applicants and intend to find a full-time job or school year employment, whichever comes first, once the summer is over.

What does /adv/ think?
>>
>>17090700

>i live in los angeles

were neighbors.

>ful time job is difficult
>Even if oyu do living on a single wage is near impossible

i have a part time job, currently live off of 1,400 a month. i rent half of a 2bedroom apartment with a view of the hollywood sign. the other room i sublet.

just sayian.

>moving all the way over there for a temporary job

its los angeles so no one actually cares if you are a 'job hopper' but with the costs of moving you are just not doing yourself any favors by taking a summer job halfway across the country.

if you mean getting a full time office job in the mid west, you are seriously over thinking this. no office says
>WOW ANON YOU MOVED TO THE MIDWEST AND TOOK PART TIME WOKR WHILE LOOKING FOR A FULL TIME JOB? WHAT A FUCKING LOSER HOW DOE STHAT EVEN MAKE SENSE CANT YOU JUST MAGICALLY SUPPORT YOURSELF WITH NO JOB UNTIL YOU GET A FULL TIME OFFICE ONE?
>>
>>17090748
Thanks for the response. The camp job will pay for room and board the entire summer. After that, I plan on staying in the midwest for the rest of my life. I'm concerned they'll think I plan on taking summer jobs the rest of my life or bouncing around.

As for the costs of moving, most of my belongings will fit into a large suitcase. I don't travel light; I live light.
>>
>>17090751

travel costs include the cost of travel, not just your stuff. but if you are planning to settlei n the midwest, dont worry.

no one looks at someone who just moved, sees you have a temporary job and thinks 'WOW WHY THE FUCK DID YOU TAKE A TEMPORARY JOB YOU MUST NEVER WANT A REAL JOB TROLOLOL'

worse case scenario is you explain it, but literally everyone knows that sometimes you just take a job to get paid. people in charge of hiring know this more than anyone. if you had lived there six years and had 12 jobs and each one was wildly different they'd be concerned.

again you are over thinking htis.

but hey, let me suck ur dick before you go (no homo (not kidding))
>>
>>17090758
>If you had lived there six years and had 12 jobs and each one was wildly different they'd be concerned.

That's the problem. Up until my current job, I've worked as a freelance reporter, medical transcriptionist and in-school tutor. There's little consistency other than writing and educating. I don't want the next job to worry I'll bail the second a teaching or writing job appears.
>>
>>17090779

consider the following
>you have no choice

what is your other option? is it preferrable? you are going to be a new person in a new place. most people dont actually look at your wokr history and immediately disregard you. before my job i had a series of 4 month employment gigs on my resume. been here two years.

worse case scenario, 1 or 2 jobs disregard you. the rest you explain in interview.
>>
>>17090791
Thanks for the advice. You made some good points.

Anyone else.
>>
>>17090824

>anyone else?

go fuck yourself?

or at least answer the question, what is your other option?
>>
>>17090824
Anyone else?
>>
>>17090836
You made some valid points, but I'd like to hear other opinions. There's no reason to be rude.
>>
>>17090840
Bump
>>
>>17090700
Bump
>>
>>17090907
Triple bump.
>>
>>17091071
Quadruple bump.
>>
>>17091133
Quintuple bump.
>>
>>17091540
Sixth bump
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.