[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Holy shit I keep grinding my teeth and clenching them together
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1426362950447.gif (984 KB, 500x291) Image search: [Google]
1426362950447.gif
984 KB, 500x291
Holy shit I keep grinding my teeth and clenching them together real hard. I'm afraid I'll grind them away or chip a tooth or something. It makes my jaw hurt. Can I get any help?

Pic very unrelated
>>
>>17089601
Go buy a mouth guard from a pharmacy
>>
>>17089601
Don't get a pharmacy night guard. Get a professionally fit one (yes, it's expensive as hell). It will save you much pain and ortho expense down the road. The material is made such that it trains your jaw to relax as you're sleeping since it's kinda springy. However, I've ground my way through 2 night guards in my life but it's better than the headache inducing TMJ that can associate with bruxism
>>
I have what you have, it's called bruxism. Get a night guard from your dentist, they can mold one to your mouth. it is expensive but it will be cheaper than having to get a tooth fixed. I also recommend trying to get TMJ-specific massage to try to relax the muscles. Here's a guide to help you do it yourself but professional is better. http://www.massagetoday.com/archives/2004/12/05.html

You can't easily fix tooth grinding at night but you can be aware of it during the day. Periodically check your jaw and relax it if you're grinding. You can hold the tip of your tongue between your teeth as a deterrent, since it will hurt if you bite down.

I also recommend avoiding chewing gum, that always makes it worse for me.
>>
>>17089811
As an addendum, you can eventually wear through a night guard, especially if you bruxism case is really bad. It makes them seem kinda worthless; but if you think about it, all the damage done to the nightguard would have been done to your teeth instead.

I also forgot to mention this, but it can also help to reduce stress. Stress aggravates bruxism and makes you more likely to bite and bite down hard. Stress reduction can be really beneficial in reducing bruxism severity.
>>
>>17089601
Go to a dentist and get a fancy mouthguard if you have dental insurance
Otherwise get one from a sporting goods store
>>
I have this too, and it's bad. If I'm stressed I clench and grind the fuck out of my teeth at night and they're badly worn.

Get a mouth guard, I should use mine more but I end up chewing on it ready hard at night and it ends up hurting even more. But it probably would stop the damage.
>>
I came here to post a tooth question and I see this thread.

Is it possible for a wisdom tooth to just disintegrate in your mouth? To corrode quickly?
I just found out I have half a tooth left when 6 months ago the dentist didn't even proceed to clean them because, according to him, they were perfect.
What the fuck?
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.