[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: Uhqw7.jpg (43 KB, 500x668) Image search: [Google]
Uhqw7.jpg
43 KB, 500x668
Just been offered a job, what should I do?

-graduated last year, graphic design
-worked shitty hotel jobs for 6 months
-feb/2016 I get an intern in a start up/year old company, going well, but not paying me, I do social media posts, product banners, adverts, general graphic stuff, they keep saying they will offer me job at the end of may, no confirmation though of anything
-april/2016 start looking for jobs again as have more experience
-go on two interviews this week
-get offered one in a ebay sellers company, they do car accessories, seems legit, 8 staff, boss shows me figures on ebay, last month sold 92k worth of product, seems good, I would be doing ebay adverts/website/general graphic stuff for products
-the other interview, at better company, working for advertising company, worked with big brands, the interviewee says I would be a good fit, he liked me, hasn't got back to me as of yet, would prefer to work for them, but could still reject me

help
>>
File: bigwords.jpg (54 KB, 474x696) Image search: [Google]
bigwords.jpg
54 KB, 474x696
OP,

Never. NEVER. NEVER! Work for free. Goddamn, where is your father? He should have made that clear when you were still a kid.

My suggestion, go to your slavemaster, and tell them you have interviews coming up, you've scheduled them outside of the time when you plan on being there, but you can't afford to work for free, and would like to know whether or not you're wasting your time allowing them to profit from your work without compensation.

Never do that shit again. You need a slap upside your head for agreeing to it.

I'll tell you, I was offered an internship at Massachusetts General Hospital when I was an undergrad. My school was walking distance. I did well at the interview, and then they talked about what a great experience it was, and then mentioned there were 6 slots, and it was unpaid. I got up, shaked hands, and said I work hard, and for cheap, but my existing skills and ability to learn would never be given away for free, and I couldn't afford it anyways.
They called me back that night. 5 people did the job for free. I got paid.

Even if you never get called back, you've got to signal that you're nobody's bitch. Otherwise, you absolutely are.
>>
>>17089559
THIS, OP.

Literally don't do another second of work for them. Ask to get paid, and if they don't then quit.
>>
>>17089559
Isn't relevant unpaid experience better than irrelevant paid experience?
>>
Just do the interviews, and see how it goes.
You have every right to progress your career and you don't even have to tell your current employer anything until you leave.
If you get one of the paid jobs, go for it. You have a decent qualification and should be getting paid for your skill!
Good luck!
>>
>>17089738

Yes, it is. Ignore them. Optimally you'd like to be paid, but you need experience in the field to get hired these days - if you have a degree but spent college folding pants in retail, you will not find a job in your field.

I would take the better job - the eBay sellers company sounds like a scam that is probably going to underpay you.
>>
>>17089944
This is op. I have only been offered the the ebay sellers, the better company hasnt got back to me as of yet. So I only have a few days to either accept/decline the ebay company
>>
>>17089962

I mean, you can accept and then leave the eBay company a few days in if you do get the offer for the other job, but I'm generally the kind of guy who tries not to do that.

I would hold out for the better job.
>>
>>17089986
I would feel awful about doing that. The situation I want to avoid is declining the ebay offer and getting rejected by intern company and better company, if even possible in this situation
>>
Just follow your gut instinct.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.