[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /adv/, my dad might have colon cancer. I really don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: sketal.jpg (87 KB, 1032x774) Image search: [Google]
sketal.jpg
87 KB, 1032x774
Hi /adv/, my dad might have colon cancer. I really don't know what I'm exactly here for, but I just want to talk about it with someone.
>>
How bad is it? I dont know much about cancer but I can talk for abit
>>
I'm not sure what motivated me to do it but I watched some cancer victim/survivor youtube channels recently. From them I learned that remaining hopeful/optimistic despite the circumstances might be the best route to take, because it's the best way to deal with obstacles that cancer might bring your way.
>>
>>17088532
We don't know yet. He had a colonoscopy done a few days ago, got his results back today. They found lots of little polyps along his colon, which is normal, but then found a large one near the beginning of it. It could be cancerous, it might not be.

He's getting a CAT-scan on Monday to see if there are other tumors within his body. If so, that means he more than likely has cancer.

Today when we were talking about it, he cried for the first time I've seen in years. He said he didn't want to go out like his mother (whom he watched slowly die to cancer for a whole year)

It's irrational of me, but I just feel so helpless. I think it's the waiting. Wednesday is less than a week away yet it feels like a month to me right now.
>>
>>17088543
It's not irrational to feel helpless anon, you can't do anything about this until he gets the CAT-scan. If its possible go out and have some fun with your dad, right now the situation is in limbo so there's nothing to do but enjoy life. Go do something he loves or you both enjoy.

I feel like its perfectly fine to be worried but it doesn't have to consume you or him just yet.
>>
>>17088560
Thanks anon, I'll try doing that. Whatever happens, I don't want this shit to consume our lives.

I wish the rest of 4chan was this good.
>>
>>17088572
No problem, cancer is no joke but even it does end up bad you'll have those good memories to look back on. I wish you and your dad the best of luck no matter what happens.
>>
>>17088521
Colon cancer is pretty common and as far as cancers go, it's a lesser one.

Pretty sure Tommy Chong's got it and he's doing just fine. Bastard'll probably outlive me.
>>
My father died of colon cancer, more precisely multiple organ failure as a result of it, 3 years ago.

If it has spread he will absolutely, positively die. If it has not yet spread, there is a solid chance for the cancer to be cured.

Just try to do stuff and not think about it. The time for grief comes later. Once you have to start counting the weeks, then days, then hours... this is where the true pain begins. Nothing and no one can prepare you for that. This was the most intense feeling that I have ever felt in my life, and not in a good way.

My father was a big, strong, healthy man. 6'5", 220 lbs, deadlifted 3plate even in his fifties. He played tennis and walked the dogs every day for 1 to 2 hours. Seeing such a man deteriorate within weeks is a painful and unbelievable experience. If it comes to the worst, expect to feel the worst. This isn't like that gf that broke up with you in highschool. This isn't like those mean kids that made fun of you in grade school. This isn't dropping out of college. This is something far, far worse.
>>
>>17088521
Um
Bumping for medical student to read but

I'm 40% sure colon cancer is one of the easier treated ones. Skin, testicle, breast, prostate usually are the ones people think of that has all these treatments and survivors, and pretty sure colon is on that list
>>
>>17088719
If it hasn't spread, it's curable by resection. If it has spread, it'll be in the liver and possibly even the lung and by then it is too late.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.