[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get a job? I'm 23, NEET, dropped out of college,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: 1349325378113.png (999 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1349325378113.png
999 KB, 1280x720
How do I get a job?

I'm 23, NEET, dropped out of college, and I never had a single job. I've pretty much applied everywhere and I either get rejected or not even a single response.
>>
Every NEET I've ever met who says something like 'I've applied everywhere' has applied almost nowhere, so I have to ask... have you REALLY applied everywhere? When you don't have a job, looking for a job should be your job. 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.
>>
when I emerged from NEETdom I had the same struggles as you but decided to get a security guard license because I noticed there were a lot of postings for security jobs on craigslist. Then when I did get the license instead of applying to those jobs I applied at a couple of security agencies (securitas and US security) which are contracted by businesses/buildings/etc to provide security for them, and they had a job for me within a few weeks.

Security kind of sucks but its not bad when you need a job and people leave you alone a lot of the time so if you're working nights you can go to school during the day and do readings/homework during your shift. That's what I did while I was taking my EMT training course.
>>
>>17075029
this anon's got it.
>>
>23 years old and never worked
Gee I wonder why nobody wants to hire you. By the time I was your age, I had had 2 part-time jobs and 2 full-time jobs, and one of them lasted me 3-4 years.
>>
>>17075134
/adv/ rule three
>>
It's not easy, OP
>20
>literal autist
>have burned through a few short term jobs before
>go through temp agency, do this now, you fucking retard.
>get a steady part time job working weekends

the hard part is keeping the job
>try to practice and take notes on the weekdays hoping I don't fuck up and get fired from (strict, but it's a business; you have to be strict) bosses for a simple $8.50 an hour
>have to fight over hours I've worked on occasion
>realize you'd make more getting govt assistance than you would working part time

I had 120 applications out and I just got lucky one day when my temp agency called me.
>>
>>17075190
This guy is on to something.

Apply for some warehouse jobs too man.

And don't feel like you're above gas station work, because clearly - you're not.

If you make friends at a local bar, try to get a barback or busser position. You can learn a lot about bartending doing that and make okay money. That's what I do currently, I'm 23 as well and dropped out of college (had a lot of work experience but w/e) I make $12/hr and work 40 hours weekly. Going back to community college in the fall, it will be super easy since I work nights.

Good luck man- just remember, get creative and ask anyone for work. Look at craigslist for odd jobs. For three years, every summer I would work for a microfridge company that had me doing hard labor moving fridges to and from college campuses that they rented out. Made 100 bucks a day and helped me save for an apartment of my own.
>>
>>17075217
>barback/busser
>$12/hr

that's fucking ridiculous

I make $8.50/hr and I'm constantly reminded I'm lucky I make that wage
>>
>>17075187
How new are you?
>>
>>17075224
Clearly your business sucks.

The bussers at my restaurant all make $11, and I make $12 as the barback.

That's pretty much standard in my city though, so I suppose it depends where you live.

Also how old are you, and what is your experience? That could factor in as well if you're like...17
>>
>>17075232
I'm a dishwasher at a high volume restaurant.

20 years old, literal autist with minimal job experience and this is the longest I've ever held down a job and I kinda told my doctor to fuck off when she didn't want me working.
>>
>>17075242
Your doctor didn't want you working?

Dude, fuck her.

You know what's best for you man. In my life, I've always held the belief that work > anything else.

Good on you brother. Dishwashers don't get enough respect. Keep doing you.
>>
>>17075190
wait, $8.50 is only £5.87.. how do you Americans put up with that obvious slave labor? no wonder so many people turn to crime.
>>
>>17075245
To be fair, she wanted me to take a hiatus from working after I failed my last job training program. She was to enroll me in a job placement/training program, which I probably should have done, as a friend told me they start off around $9.50
>>
>>17075246
So true man.

It's rough. I don't even think that's our minimum wage. I'm pretty sure that it's $7.50 in most states (that's what it is in Texas at least - although our cost of living is relatively low in the rural parts).

A lot of people in the general workforce have to hold two jobs just to support themselves.
>>
>>17075258
shit anon, i'm
>>17075254
>>17075242
and I'm texas. Although I'm in the greater houston area so shit is crazy expensive.
>>
>>17075246
Pretty much, but it varies by state. Some states it is much higher, others it is lower. If you're going the uneducated wage slave route, its best to move to Seattle or something.
>>
>>17075242
>I kinda told my doctor to fuck off when she didn't want me working
Wat? That's weird that she didn't want you working. Perhaps you are not quite so autistic, though...
>>
File: what am i doing with my life.jpg (46 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
what am i doing with my life.jpg
46 KB, 1440x900
Haven't got any advice I'm afraid, I'm just here to vent

>have law degree, graduated top of the year
>have academic prize and a number of published papers
>that was 2 years ago
>been volunteering for the last 9 months
>no job/income benefits (because the UK hates the unemployed), literally living on savings
>running out of money
>applying every fucking where I swear to god
>temp agencies, the fucking lot
>make a minimum of 3 applications a day
>losing the will to live
>set myself a deadline to get a job by 1st August (roughly when I'll 100% run out of money) or I must an hero

I feel your goddamn pain OP
>>
>>17075327
I'm autistic with an undiagnosed emotional disorder. there are some reasons
>>
I'm a 32yo neet. Should I just kill myself or try to get diagnosed with some mental disorder?
>>
>>17075465
How about option C, which is to get off your lazy fucking ass and make something of yourself finally. You piece of shit.
>>
>>17075468
>thinking any of what you just said means anything to any neet
>>
>>17075342
can you not become a public defender or prosecutor with your law degree?
>>
Create a fake job history. The job should be working in a small business, like working a construction job. Put on the application a phone number of a cell phone. Have a friend carry and answer the phone in the fake business name. Have her pretend to pull your file and give your hire date at the fake company. I did this and it worked great.
>>
>>17075029
What if I live in a shitty city that barely has jobs?
>>
>>17075029
You'll run out of jobs to apply to on the second day, maybe even the first day if you don't have a car, like most neets
>>
>>17075258
wow, thats crazy, i didnt realize people in america where so underpaid. i have one American friend and she has complained about it before but i never really took any notice.
>>
>>17075342
I love hearing stories like yours.
>>
>>17075346
Fuck all that noise bro I'm glad you told that bitch to fuck off

Work hard ,work out ,by some nice close, find hobbies

If your psychotic or anything along does lines use it to your advantage and work even harder and drink your meds
>>
>>17075342
Is the academic job market that fucking bad? Everyone is telling me to go to University but if the market is that bad ill just stay at my shitty job in manual labor.
>>
>33 have worked 3 jobs in my life.
>Quit last 2 in 2007.
>Haven't worked since.
>A.A. Degree couldn't afford University.
>Apply to same jobs over and over.
>Nothing else I can do as they require Degrees. In fields I lack.
>Or require 5-10 years working experience in said fields.
>Tried McDonalds/Gas Station "Over Qualified"
>I'm planning to join the Air Force. Thanks for the age raise.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.