[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I live in a society that constantly chases money and things
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: smokies.jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
smokies.jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
How do I live in a society that constantly chases money and things that don't truly bring us happiness? I just feel like nothing's worth it and I'm trapped in a system that literally eats us alive. If I die tomorrow it will have all been for nothing.
>>
YouTube - Joe rogan experience

Duncan trussell family hour

.. do what you enjoy, learn a trade/skill..
>>
>>17072432
>If I die tomorrow it will have all been for nothing.

That applies to everybody. Everybody dies, man. You're not the only fucking one. Everybody dies. Everything anyone has ever built will collapse. Everything anyone has ever done will be forgotten. Some things will last longer than others, sure, but that doesn't change the fact that come the end it will all mean nothing.

And that's how life works. For everybody, not just you. What you have to do is deal with that fact, and learn to live with it. See there must be shit you enjoy, otherwise you'd have killed yourself already. So focus on that. Focus on doing that and doing whatever can accommodate it. Focus on finding more and new things to enjoy. Life is ultimately pointless. But you're here anyway, so you might as well try to enjoy the ride whilst it lasts, right?
>>
Hey OP.
Cigarettes are pretty good.
Consider it.
>>
You don't have to chase "money and things that dont truly bring us happiness" even if the vast majority of society does. We can't give you advice if all you tell us is how fucked up you think society is. But if you really just feel that "nothing is worth it" and completely lack motivation you definitely have a problem.
>>
>>17072519
I do have problems. I've been struggling with anxiety and depression for a long time. I've sought help but I just fight through every day
>>
I've been thinking along those same lines for half my life now and somehow I'm still around.

I'm a loser though. If you want to be a loser, you can keep thinking among those same lines.

If you don't want to be a loser, you better get motivation, however false or make-believe it is. What is chosen as your aim doesn't matter, since the end result doesn't matter, either. It's all in your mind - you need to make yourself believe in the action you take.
>>
>>17072561
I mean if money doesn't bring happiness but we need it to survive, then what should we do? There is no such thing as not chasing money.
>>
>>17072550
You've realised that, good. The next step is realising it doesn't matter. Things rise, things fall, whatever. Be kind, live in the moment, go for a swim, walk your dog, read some Borges, pick your nose, do some charity work, pick an apple from a tree, live in moments rather than anxieties. Do you really want the things you build to last forever?
>>
>>17072578
I just feel the pursuit of money is wrong and pointless, but we literally have to do it to survive
>>
>>17072578
This was meant to be a reply to the original post, not this specific post. Sorry for your depression, anon. I'm in the same boat, glad to know you're still rolling with the punches.
>>
>>17072576
>if money doesn't bring happiness

This is horseshit. Money does bring happiness. You know who says that money doesn't bring happiness? People with money. You know why they say it? So everybody else stops trying to take their money.

I'm not talking about buying flash cars or spending it on women or whatever either. Money is a necessity, it accommodates things people want. Even if it's just a roof over your head and the internet, you still need money for it.

This doesn't mean you've gotta spend your life chasing as much of it as you can. Man your shit's all retarded.
>>
>>17072576

You just earn some money. It's not actually that difficult to earn a little money if you don't need much and can get by with a modest lifestyle. And if you can't get by with a modest lifestyle, well... you need to get more money, that's a motivation.
>>
>>17072585
The pursuit of money is a big trap, yes. People say they want enough "to be comfortable", but this idea of comfort shifts until you die. It's the old carrot-and-stick trick. Perhaps some volunteer work or something might help you? Money is needed atm, but perhaps a more rewarding job is what you're after. Instead of leaving a job where you go "I earnt money today", perhaps need a job where you leave with the thought "I made a difference today", "I helped today", etc. My passions keep me going, desu.
>>
OP, don't worry about the plebs, just take care of yourself. Be vegan, don't use alcohol, or drugs, don't get nasty tattoos. Move out of the city, buy land, grow your own food.

Millions will die, but you can't do anything about it, just worry about you.
>>
>>17072588

Money does translate to happiness. As soon as some sort of basic quality of life is reached, which is usually easily reached in a Western industrialized nation, any addition of money does not in itself translate to greater happiness (a value that is difficult to quantify, anyway).

Money, overall, is not a necessity. It is only a necessity in a society where it equals survival. And the things you want are very mutable. You are implying that one could not be happy living in a mud hut in the jungle not knowing the Kardashians or whatever other blessings civilization has brought to us - which is not true at all.
>>
>>17072601

Oops. Way to start off strong. I meant: money does NOT translate to happiness.
>>
>>17072618
I understood lol. and these responses are helping my mindset a little bit. Thank you
>>
>>17072601
>You are implying that one could not be happy living in a mud hut in the jungle

I suppose this is a fair point. It is possible. However I don't think anyone who comes to /adv/ to complain about their life is the kind of person who can be happy living in a mud hut in the jungle.

And in a similar vein I find it to be pretty much horseshit that anyone spending time on /adv/ will try to equate the virtues of civilisation and the need for money to exist in said civilisation as being knowledge of the Kardashians. Or did you set up your own self-sustaining vegan internet system rather than paying for it?
>>
>>17072497
maybe weed, not cigs. Cigs aren't even worth the money
>>
>money isn't important
T. Someone who didn't grow up poor
>>
>>17072432
>don't truly bring us happiness?
>us
you could start by speaking for yourself and not fucking everybody for starters
>>
>>17072832
I mean humans as a species
>>
>>17072752
J. Cole said in his song "think bein broke was better" plenty of celebrities come from bad backgrounds, get money and spend it all on drugs and talk about how they're so depressed
>>
>>17072860
*;
>>
>>17072860
Celebrities using their money for dumb shit and not finding happiness isn't proof that money isn't important.

If a starving man was given food and instead of eating it he buried it then he died, that wouldn't be proof that food isn't important. You people are fucking stupid.
>>
>>17072879
what can you buy that will truly make you happy? They do drugs because they are still depressed fuck wad
>>
>>17072887
Freedom you big dummy. If you get enough shekels you can put the shekels to work for you. And then you can travel and be depressed in exotic places.
>>
>>17072914
same as being depressed in a tent imo. what is life but your perception, mind, and emotions?
>>
>>17072933
It was a little tongue in cheek. Point being money can make life easier, but no, it doesn't guarantee happiness.
>>
>>17072962
So that's my point. I want to make money but what's the point in doing it if you'll still be depressed? I really want to find one.
>>
>>17072962
Getting my own place seems so nice but why try?
>>
>>17072497
Don't believe this douchebag OP. I've been smoking for now 5 years and I damn the day I got addicted to it. It's a bad habit.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.