[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I deal with panic attacks and overcome my fear of having them
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (697 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.png
697 KB, 640x960
Last Thursday in school I had a panic attack but I didn't realise that's what was actually happening, I just thought I couldn't breathe properly for some other medical reason. As soon as I left the classroom it died down. Friday I went in and had the same thing happen the very next morning and realised something was up. I thought I was gonna pass out so I had to leave and call home. All weekend I was wondering what is causing these attacks and I talked to my parents about it. They gave me some advice but on the train in on Monday morning I felt an attack come on and had to get off at the next stop and ditch school. My parents were pissed, my mom rang a therapist (I have generalised anxiety) and he can't see me until Friday (tomorrow). I was so scared and worried about getting this feeling of dying again (panic attack) I've taken school off all week. My parents are about to kill me and are forcing me in tomorrow and I'm freaking out cause I know I'll have an attack. Every time I play the scenario in my head it ends with me having an attack. Has anyone gotten these panic attacks before? Where the reason for having them is the fear of having one ? It's humiliating to have one, and in some classes there are about 100 people (weird school). The office are getting sick of me leaving early too. Please I need advice guys
>>
>>16456694
I've gotten panic attacks before. Going to a therapist is a good start. It might take a little time before you see any results though.

Sometimes taking deep, slow breaths can help. Knowing that I'm having a panic attack and that I'm not really going to die also helps a lot. Instead of trying to fight it, I just let it run its course and it seems to go away faster. Sometimes I can do that right where I am, and sometimes I have to go someplace quiet and less stressful, like a bathroom or something, for a few minutes.

You might benefit from some anti-anxiety meds too. It's better to see a psychiatrist for psych meds than a family doctor/GP, but if you can't get in to see a shrink, then a family doc will do. I was prescribed Klonopin and it works pretty well, although it dulls my wits somewhat. I try to only take it if the anxiety is really bad.

If you're worried about getting in trouble at school for leaving early, tell them you're getting treatment for the problem. Get the therapist to send them a letter explaining that you're being treated for anxiety.

Good luck OP, I hope this helped.
>>
>>16456716
Some solid advice there, anon, thanks.

In relation to leaving the room to allow the panic to pass, alive done this but it only returns when I'm back in the situation. The only place I get panic attacks is in the classroom. I'm in my last year of school so missing this much school, in a school solely existing to help students achieve the best results possible is bad. The staff wouldn't be too happy if I missed much more, but my health is coming before my education in my mind.
>>
I don't have firsthand experience with this so I can't help much, but it may be useful to look up "grounding techniques" so that you know what to do if/when you have another one, that way at least you're prepared and it won't be as scary. Ex: pic related and the following link

http://expertbeacon.com/grounding-techniques-you-have-your-next-panic-attack/#.VkUx2WSrS2w
>>
>>16456739
Very useful anon, thanks
>>
>>16456694
I would also look into meditation. I think it is a skill you can develop that trains you to find a place of relaxation and peace. Basically it is like training yourself to calm down. At least thats what I hear. I've read it works really well. I've been giving it a shot to see how well it works and it seems pretty legit. It also gives you the confidence that you can calm yourself or keep calm.
>>
File: teabag.jpg (88 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
teabag.jpg
88 KB, 1440x900
>>16456694
I have GAD and am pretty much completely recovered from having daily severe panic attacks for 5+ years.

One thing I can tell you is that no matter how terrifying the sensations of panic can be, they can never actually hurt or kill you. Your body has only one response to fear/anxiety: adrenalin. Your brain evolved in an environment where anxiety kept you safe from predators.

Think about it; your body is gearing up into peak physical condition so you can fight or run from a tiger or something. Everything that happens during a panic attack is completely normal and absolutely cannot harm you.

Also, people are much more understanding than you'd think. I've had full-blown freak outs in public places and had total strangers hold my hand and sit with me until I calmed down. Your worst case scenario will likely never happen and even if it does you WILL survive it.

Hang in there, OP. From now on your panic attacks will be less frightening just because you know these things. :)
>>
>>16457513
I have accepted it wont hurt or kill me, I just fight it as best I can because I don't want to embarrass myself infront of everyone, having to step out is a bit of a fear because I also have social anxiety , even if I went to the bathroom twice I an hour I would be conscious people think I have diarrhoea or something. The struggle to contain my panic attacks usually worsen them and it's the fear that this will inevitably happen that causes the attack, hard to understand yea but it is a very vicious circle
>>
>>16457109 thanks I'll look at it
>>
>>16458003
See a therapist and take meds
>>
>>16458011
I will see a therapist but taking meds is just accepting defeat imo
>>
Throw eggs in a bathtub. No, really.
>>
I've been going through panic attacks recently too.

I used to get them years ago and saw a therapist for it. Recently came back maybe half a year ago and it's been completely debilitating mentally and physically. The fear that comes on me when it happens is probably the worst thing to ever happen, I'm afraid I'm going to die.

It can happen at completely random times and it pretty much scares me out of leaving the house. I really don't even want to for therapy again as I don't have the money for it.

Does anyone think maybe finding an online therapist would be as good as actually going to see someone?
>>
>>16458016
youre right, it is

emotions are caused by thoughts and beliefs.. meds dont fix that
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.