[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have found myself being a jack of all trades and a master of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: 1445166645762.png (294 KB, 599x323) Image search: [Google]
1445166645762.png
294 KB, 599x323
I have found myself being a jack of all trades and a master of nothing for a long time. I've always wanted to be really good at something and it bothers me that I'm not but I don't have any ambition or dreams. I hate mediocrity and yet I have no desire to move beyond it.

Anybody else understand this feeling?
>>
Another bump
>>
I realized I have lost much drawing skill that I used to have. I was bummed. When I thought about it more, I didn't feel so bad. I've learned a lot since I practiced drawing.

I can sharpen a chainsaw chain, sharpen $400 hair scissors, design and construct a shed, sew a backpack or a dress, build an electronic leadscrew, design a control panel, troubleshoot a motor drive, machine a necklace or a die, cook stir fry and clean the kitchen simultaneously, carve a wooden spoon, build a cabinet, do technical drawings, operate a cnc machine, rebuild a bicycle, forge a knife, write in nice cursive or use a lettering guide...

specialization is for insects. Embrace what you can do.
>>
>>16454793
Thank you for your perspective, it's reassuring. I'd like more perspectives though.

Bumping again.
>>
"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one"

And honestly, I've found that to be true. I've met some people who are fantastic at one thing, and one thing only. They're absolutely shit at everything else
>>
File: 12623256463891.png (546 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
12623256463891.png
546 KB, 1280x720
>>16454726
Nope, I'm not exactly good at anything. Except banging ur mum.
>>
>>16454861
a+ pic
>>
>>16454861
Thanks.
>>
>>16454726
Im a musician. I've been playing every for nearly a decade now. and I've written and recorded all kinds of songs and played in front of thousands of people.

Meanwhile...
>no gf
>highschool dropout
>consistently do psychedelics and go from "enlightenment" to depression every week

there is a balance to everything and believe me, you are doing no worse than anyone else.
>>
>>16454906
>*I've been playing everyday for nearly a decade now. I've written and recorded all kinds of songs and played in front of thousands of people.
>>
File: 1446575096977.jpg (173 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
1446575096977.jpg
173 KB, 1080x720
Another bump
>>
I feel you OP, going through similar issues of too many hobbies so no time to git gud, just git alright.

I've been doing some serious reflection on the hobbies I truly love and the most applicable to me, narrowing down to about 4 of them ti devote myself to. Maybe try something similar, or do projects that can involve many skills. Try to embrace the idea of how great being a master in something. Theres nothing very wrong with being a jack imo, but sometimes I feel the realworld doesnt value them as much due to lack of skill/devotion
>>
>>16454855
It's interesting that there wasn't always such a split. The worlds best artists and poets used to also be the worlds best mathematicians and scientists.

I understand your feeling though. I chose a technical career path so I could learn the systems inside out.
>>
File: 1417391418394.png (29 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1417391418394.png
29 KB, 400x400
>>16454726
I kno that feel manh
I need to choose a career path asap too but I can't
>>
>>16455403
I am fascinated by maths but terrible with them. I always envied my friends who studied engineering and computer science because I could probably never do those things in my wildest dreams.
>>
>>16454726
Yes. I am very adaptable, but haven't found something I will spend my free time on.
>>
Yes, I do. I was always very good at fine arts (among other things) and had advanced classes during high school, as well as recommendations from my teacher to study fine arts. However, I never pursued any artistic course/profession, because I always thought that before long everyone who does art for a living would burn out. I some times regret not doing it, because all my adolescent life I believed that my future profession would be something artistic. I still doubt whether what I'm doing now is really what I should be doing (I'm atranstlator/editor btw). But I don't feel that there was any meaning in my art.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.