[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How feasible is to abandon my parents/family, run away from home,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: timthumb.jpg (49 KB, 660x330) Image search: [Google]
timthumb.jpg
49 KB, 660x330
To give you some context, I'm a 21 year old guy. College was a bust, I can't find work now, my parents spoil me rotten, and I'm a lazy, unmotivated, asocial, shithead NEET sperg because of it. I can't go back to school due to lack of cosigner for loans, and I can't find work due to low marketable skills (I've only ever worked as a college tutor and a temp on my college's groundscrew doing manual labor).

I really want to join the military because I basically have no other option in life besides killing myself, which I'm not going to do. I know the military sucks ball and there's the chance I will die, but I really need to be in an environment that will kick my ass, break me down, then build me back up, and teach me practically life skills and attitudes to get my ass back in gear and my life on track. I'm absolutely sick of doing nothing all day, having no prospects/direction, and I would rather be doing something than nothing.

My parents hate the military and won't "allow" me to go because they are too worried about their precious little god's gift to the world (I'm 21 at the moment) getting shot in Afghanistan. Thing is, I'm much more interested in joining the Navy or the Marines and hoprefully avoiding that kind of deployment.

I'm over 18 and I can make my own decisions, so If I fullblown ran away from home and joined the military, what would be the prospects of making it all the way through without having any real support in the civilian "world"? My parents have cut off ties with people due to similiar disagreements, so I'm pretty sure they would excommunicate with me if I abandon them and join the military. What would I do during offtime if they're not willing to provide a roof over my head?
>>
How physically fit are you OP?

If you can make it through basic the military can teach ya some very marketable technical skills and set you up nicely for government contracting work.

>What would I do during offtime if they're not willing to provide a roof over my head?
I'm pretty sure you'll get a housing stipend or live on-base

I say go for it, but really make sure you do your research first. Check out some military forums for sure.
>>
>>16446110
>How physically fit are you OP?

I'm about 5'11" and around pounds. I like bike-riding and hiking and I don't have a problem with physically-demanding work. The grounds-crew job was a year of heavy-lifting, moving furniture, outdoor landscaping work, using power tools, etc. It sucked balls the first week or two but I quickly got used to it. When it comes to physically demanding stuff, I try to power through and ignore pain/exhaustion if I can until it gets to a point where I'm accustomed to it.

I'm out of shape at moment, so I would definitely have to, at the very least, get into the habit of exercising before boot camp.

The only other health issues I can think are:
Ibuprofen jacks my blood pressure to hypertension levels

I take medication for a benign muscle tremor (no real side effects as far as I can tell).

I usually take Melatonin to help sleep at night.

The one big health problem would be a histroy of mental health issues, but I've heard conflicting things about how the military handles it. Some people have said they got in fine, others have said recruiters will just plain tell you to fuck off.

Like I said, I'm willing to put with drill sergeants or the hell of bootcamp. The whole point is that I'm looking for an experience that will break me down and build me up if it'll help me get my life on track or at the very least give new experience and opportunities.

What military forums do you recommend? I've tried getting information before on reddit (yeah I know, reddi-scum, that's not the point) and 9 times out of 10 assholes just tell me to fuck off whenever I mention the mental health part.
>>
Join if you want. It's a decent starting area for people without a lot of options. I wouldn't join the marines if you're trying to avoid deployments. Go Air Force. Most jobs rarely deploy, and your quality of life will be better.

Joining isn't hard at all as long as you don't have any serious medical conditions and aren't retarded, but make sure you research your job. 4-6 years of doing something you don't like doing is a long time.
>>
>>16446193
Shit. Made a typo: I'm around 180 pounds.
>>
>>16446193
It depends on the branch and the recruiter concerning mental health issues. Just talk to a recruiter about it, nobody online is going to give you a for sure answer about whether they'll tell you to gtfo.
>>
>>16446086

this is essentially what the military is for. its for people who want better than highschool education tier employment but cant afford a college.

if ur willing to go to iraq and get blown up, you can get out there REALLY fast. if you do well on tests you might not even need to be blown up.

my friend never went to college, took the asvab and now hes some geo political analyst or some similar shit.

older bro is dumb so he went entry level marine but got lucky and travels the world jumping out of planes. mostly does training games, is hoping to become a drill seargant and whatnot.

he got married (Which is dumb UNLESS you are military) because when you get married they give you a free house and theres other benefits.
>>
Then just join the fucking military, you fucking dumbass
>>
>21
>running away from home
I don't think it's running away if people want you the fuck out of the house
>>
>>16446086
Hm.

Just go navy, OP. More educational/job opportunities(although I have met some witheringly intelligent marines, mind).
>>
>>16446086

Completely feasible.

So long as you aren't a big fatass and have no medical problems you could probably ship within a week giving this is the time of year with lower enlistment numbers.

Boot camp is easy as fuck, don't let people intimidate you about that aspect. You will be built up to where you need to be in order to graduate. The hard part comes when you're actually in the fleet and having to deal with high school tier drama and politics.

Make sure you go to college while you're in so you have something to fall back on after getting out since I'm guessing your parents won't be too happy about you possibly having to move back home.
>>
>>16446325
What would be my options in terms of places to stay or just finding a place to crash if let's say, hypothetically, my parents are pissed at me that they excommunicate and don't let me go back home.

Am I just going to have to bite the bullet and find an apartment or does the army offer any kind of housing if you don't have family or friends to turn to?

I know using the term "running away from home" sounds childish but I'm tired of living in this coddling evironment and I don't know how to describe it.
>>
>>16446086
I absolutely recommend you follow through with this plan. but don't be one of those people who let being in the military get to their head and start acting like a dick bag.
>>
>>16446362
Shit, should have been specific and say that I'm worried about finding housing/ a place to stay during offtime when I'm not deployed or "on the job" in the military.
>>
>>16446362

You could probably live in a shelter for a month or two.

I don't know anything about being homeless. A much better plan would be to avoid becoming homeless in the first place by handling your shit while you're in the military.

Most people join right out of high school. It is their first job and they proceed to blow all their money every pay period on take out food and video games. Before you know it, it is time to decide whether you're going to reenlist and you've done nothing but sit in the barracks jacking off for the last couple years.
>>
>>16446379

You can just sit in the barracks if you choose to take leave, you aren't forced to leave the base and go somewhere after your vacation is approved.
>>
>>16446390
Really? I didn't know that. Thank your fot the answer.

>>16446383
Well I certainly don't plan on doing that. I want to make the most of my (hypothetical) time in the military by pursuing education or some sort of training in an area like Linguistics, Math, Computer/Technology. I have background in nursing from the classes I took at college but I'm not 100% I want to try it again after flunking out (unless Military education in that field is drasitcally different than the college I wen to).

>>16446325
How long is "offtime" or vacations? Would they let me switch back and forth between serving and taking classes or do I do both at the same time? How does it work?

>>16446287
I know it's a childish term but I don't know how else to describe. Parents coddle me every time I try to make decisions or discourage me from growing up and I'm just fucking sick of being in that environment. I want to get out, do something, and grow the fuck up.
>>
>>16446421

You get 2.5 days of leave per month of active service. You can use it pretty much whenever you want save for when your unit is slated for a deployment. Commanders oftentimes let you go into the hole on leave days if you have a family emergency.

It sounds like you might want to consider the reserves, although that isn't financially feasible if your goal is to be independent.

People will often simply take night classes, it is not like you have anything else more important to do with your off time. Even the high level jobs like radar tech and data systems become practically autonomic after you've been doing it for like six months, provided you're not a moron. You can easily do your job well AND attend college.

I took general eds at this military base university called national, then transferred to a university in my state when I got out since I wanted my undergrad to be from somewhere more noteworthy.
>>
If you want to leave everything behind, like a real soldier. Then join the French Foreign legion. They even provide you with a new identity.
>>
>>16446086
You can't imagine how safe it makes me feel to know the military is full of people like this.
>>
>>16447747
I don't quite understand your reply. Are you being sarcastic?
>>
Go for it, OP. It may or may not "rebuild" you, that largely depends on how you mentally handle everything; but it's almost definitely the most practical path for you in terms of life opportunities.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.