[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't some really smart people want to do Law/Medicine?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: pasta.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
pasta.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1500
Note: I am referring to countries where you have to do Law/Medicine/almost everything as an undergraduate

Yeah, most people (maybe 90%) want to become lawyers, doctors, etc, but then you have that minority which goes major in something such as Biology, Music, Mathematics, etc. Why pick these majors?

Yeah, I understand that being a doctors/lawyer can be stressful, but there are other majors which lead to an easy, well-paid job such as Dentistry, Actuarial Science, Economics, Accounting, etc. Why not pick those majors? And some of these fields are not saturated yet.

Every jobs sucks in their own way. In some way, doing research in the field of math is more stressful than being an actuary. For a start, your funding will be cut if you have nothing published and then your have no income. The PhD market is saturated and it is very unlikely that a Math PhD can find a stable, permanent job one day.

And really, all jobs become monotonous over time. Practising playing the same instrument every day becomes dull over time. The Music field is saturated as heck. And what can a Music major do if he can't find a decent job after university? Teach little kids an instrument? Even that is not as easy as it seems - little kids tend to misbehave and muck around and some are not even bothered to practise playing any instruments.
>>
>>16437267
I know, little babbies fresh outta HS don't know shit and their counselors don't help them at all and tell them to go STEM or do "what their heart desires (ends up as arts/humanities 90% of the time)" and they end up missing a bunch of great careers without too much work.

Wish I knew that when I was in school, then maybe I would've done something I could handle instead of trying engineering, getting stressed and drinking till I dropped out.

Oh well, I'm doing alright with my 2 year IT degree now. $23\hr isn't so bad at all.
>>
File: job.jpg (70 KB, 490x417) Image search: [Google]
job.jpg
70 KB, 490x417
We live in a society that is relatively post-scarcity, at least in the West. Pursuits like studying Humanities in an academic setting used to be strictly the purview of the wealthy. Dishonest advertising, willful blindness and relative ease of acquiring wealth have made the pursuit of non-renumerative skills and studies more accessible.
The plain fact is that most trades and pursuits don't require university education- in that vein, education becomes a participation trophy. However, the market is slow to respond to that- there's a very valid reason why there are more college graduates, percentage-wise, working at Starbucks as compared to Boeing or NASA.

Most kids don't think about pragmatic issues when choosing a degree field. Infantilized adults are the fault of the parents, for the most part. Their parents rightly don't want the kids to struggle through the same issues the parents did. but for some reason, don't make the connection between their children's shitty career choices and the relatively protected life of ease that they made for their kids.
>>
>>16437267
>Why doesn't everyone think just like me?
Gee, it's almost as if people have different priorities in life and are willing to sacrifice a comfortable living and risk failure to pursue something that makes them fulfilled with their life. I'm sorry, but this is the fundamental error that everyone makes, and can never seem to get over: you assume everyone else shares your values, and when others make different decisions on what to do with their lives, it's attributed to their "lack of intellect" or "lack of thinking things through." Yes, there are people who don't think through their decisions, but you'd be surprised how many people within these risky fields actually know more about it than you do, yet still accept the risks and challenges of entering it.
>>
>Why don't some really smart people want to do Law/Medicine?

Because those degrees will get you into starbucks if the lamers flood into them. Face it dipshits, we're playing musical chairs. Music starts, kids get out of the chairs, one chair is removed, music stops, everyone tries to find a chair, angry fat kid shoves the gentle polite kid aside to claim the victory. Process repeats ten seconds later.

The law industry, once considered to be the devil incarnate and therefore invincible to all other dark powers, has in fact taken its fair share of asswhoopings already. Medicine as a field of study is a retarded gimmick; the people who did all the studying and all the volunteering take jobs where they sift through human feces looking for deadly and incurable diseases. For a smaller lifetime income than the folks who learned how to fix toilets or engines.

You work at your own expense, then you work for free, then you work for bare necessities, then you work for middle class bullshit, then you work for upper-middle-class bullshit. By the time you reach middle class, enterprising tradesmen reach upper-middle class.
>>
>>16437291
^I would recommend listening to this individual. He said it so I don't have to.
>>
>>16437302
These part people are not lame
>>
>>16437267
They are being irrational or overconfident that they will succeed
>>
>>16437267
You made this thread like a week ago. You aren't looking for advice.
>>
>>16437493
So what?
And I just noticed how almost everyone in my previous thread gravitated to one opinion (pursuing your interest is a good thing) while people in this thread gravitated to another opinion (pursuing your interest is naïve). Why is that?
>>
>>16437499
It all comes down to how you want to live your life. You come here to post this thread to validate your own position, which is petty and unbecoming of a man.

Literally live your life. If financial success is your idea of a good life, then go fucking chase it. Get rich and say fuck everyone else. If you get there and you find out you're wrong, who gives a shit.

If some guy with a motorcycle is happy with a guitar by a fire eating chili out of a can five nights a week, then leave him the fuck alone.
>>
>>16437521
Still does not explain why the people in both threads are so different.
>>
File: 1429780612493.png (5 KB, 159x172) Image search: [Google]
1429780612493.png
5 KB, 159x172
>>16437267
Medicine for the most part is hard, stressful, has shitty hours and exposes the worker to health risks. The trade-off here is money and job security. I'm not sure about Law.
>Why pick these majors?
Any number of reasons. A lot of people simply don't care about money and aim for something they think they might enjoy. Some are legitimately passionate about what they want to do and strive for it, even when they're better equipped for careers with more responsibility.

Really, use your imagination.
>>
>>16437533
>explain why people are different
Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>16437541
I know people are different. What I am asking is why almost everyone in that grviated to opinion X while people in this threat gravitated to opinion Y.
>>
Lots of smart people just aren't interested in medicine and law as careers. They're interested in other subjects in sciences and arts, they don't prioritise making money as the driving force for their choice in career. Also law and medicine can be brutally hard work with long hours and high stress, and lots of peole want a more healthy work-life balance to pursue other interests or spend time with their family.
>>
>>16437563
>implying being a researcher/musician/writer/whatever is easy
>>
>>16437555
Are you a sociopath by any chance?
>>
>>16437574
Not my intention. Point I was trying to make was that many clever people choose jobs they are interested in as opposed to ones that make them wealthy. And secondly that medicine, especially in the UK, is known for having absurdly unhealthy working hours. I would never work 100+ hours a week regardless of the pay.
>>
>>16437586
Well, being an actuary/physiotherapist is not as tough as being a doctor. Why not pick those jobs?
>>
Stop creating this shitty thread over and over again. You got told last time for good, and made to look like the idiot you are. Why are you back for more?
>>
>>16437267
You made this EXACT SAME THREAD a week ago. And you were BTFO like the immature child you are.
>>
>>16437267
>look mom, I posted it again!
>>
>>16437673
Am not btfo. Look: >>16437616
>>
Plenty of intelligent folks want to expand the boundaries of our scientific knowledge. Sure, being a PhD is very stressful, but if you can follow your greatest passion, why should you go for the money?

I got a free pass into medicine, but the amount of dumb memorization required for it is insane. I would much rather discover the molecular mechanisms behind life instead of memorizing a bunch of symptoms. Heck, what about all those people who become teachers because they love their subject and want to share their knowledge with others? They sure as hell aren't doing it for the money.
>>
>>16437696
You doing a PhD? Dropped out of Medicine school? Have fun finding a permanemt job
Teaching is not so bad. At least it is a stable job.
>>
>>16437673
He at least changed physics to math this time. As a physics major who got a great job after graduating, I was one of the many who showed him how ignorant he is.
>>
>>16437713
A Math degree has similar prospects compared to Physics
>>
>>16437267
Justice isn't real, and people have to die.

The reason why they won't bother is because they realized those things.
>>
>>16437724
I know. He doesn't though.
>>
I did a PhD but went through a very difficult time personally right at the end and didn't make the final resubmission. I actually thought I was going to have a breakdown. I wasn't sure what I really wanted to do afterwards as I found some aspects of the research field quite off putting, some unpleasant characters and the long term job prosepects are as far in to the future as your current grant - some people I knew had been working solidly over 10 years and were denied a mortgage because their work technically wasn't secure for more that a year or two ahead. I'd done some work in schools and decided to become a teacher. Most personally rewarding work I've done, don't regret it at all, even though the hours are actually worse than research.

Life takes you on a funny path and you have ups and downs and you find your own niche, hopefully it's rewarding to you. Asking why 'clever people' don't all become doctors and lawyers is stupid.
>>
>>16437753
like you've said doing a phd is stressful and maybe even worse than being a doctor/lawyer, so why pick these majors?
>>
>>16437267
I'm a smart person OP and I'm studying Math because it's crazy employable. People with Math degrees make BANK.
>>
>>16437772
People do these sorts of jobs because they want to, they want to help people or educate or do something scientifically useful or creative. no one can stick at teaching for long if they don't find it satisfyinh in some way.

Why do some people take on the stress and risk of running their own business rather than getting a job in a large stable company?
>>
>>16437267
It's called liking what you do
Passion
Why else would anyone go into teaching
>>
>>16437826
>Why do some people take on the stress and risk of running their own business rather than getting a job in a large stable company?
They may be high school dropouts and that's their only chance of earning cash as they don't qualify for a lot of jobs?
>>
this thread again!?
>>
>>16437267
I studied criminal justice...I'll let you know when if ever I get a job
>>
i remember this thread a week ago
>>
>>16438137
>>16437980
Then stop bumping it, fucktards.
>>
>>16438139
Geez I'm just pointing out what I saw.
OP why do you keep on creating this thread
>>
>>16437499
You have a sample size of two. Maybe if you studied science a bit you'd understand how meaningless that is.
>>
>>16437267
Many people don't know why to go to college.
You might think it's to learn and have a good time, but in the end, your diploma is the only reason to go. This gives you the chance to get a job.
I know back when I was a kid, I had to choose what I'd do in high school. They said 'just follow what you like' and 'it's all the same anyways' so I chose some crappy education and was miserable for a whole year. The level of education was a lot lower than other courses and I couldn't follow my dreams if I stayed at it. One hour of math really makes a difference in a curriculum.
People need to know where their education is going to take them, not what the education is.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.