[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Autism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: time_autism_cover.jpg (56 KB, 350x468) Image search: [Google]
time_autism_cover.jpg
56 KB, 350x468
Anyone who has any experience with autism here (be it due to having it, working with it, or otherwise being affected by it)?

As far as I know, I have a diagnosis of autism. A person from my therapeutic team told me that given the fact that I have autism and stuff, if I won't socialize and will just keep dedicating all of my time to my interests all day long, I will regress/retreat into my own shell.

What exactly does this mean? What kind of regression was he talking about here? How bad can it get, and is it reversible?
>>
You are fine.

Almost all autistic outgrow it by the age of 21.

Its just a different way of thinking. And requires a different path of learning.

From what you have said i doubt you are autistic. just and introvert. or at the very least very low on the specrum
>>
>>17015626
Are you retarded? Firstly, you can't "outgrow" autism. Second, OP hasn't even described his situation. What the fuck?
>>
I am a special education teacher and work with young adults who have severe autism. The fact that you can even type this means you are leagues ahead of how badly others have it.

I don't know your actual level of severity (but it seems you are high functioning), but in general people with autism function better if they have routines and preplanned responses as they have difficulty reading social cues and improvising. In terms of regressing, I think your team member just means you will become more withdrawn and solitary. That might be more of a personality thing in combination with your autism; I have some students with severe autism who are very much extroverted and enjoy socializing (although they will do so inappropriately without coaching)
>>
>>17015641
>>17015639
this is what i meant by this>>17015639

Also outgrow may have been the wrong choice of word. Basically things get better as you get older.
>>
File: 1446660156762.jpg (1 MB, 5628x3348) Image search: [Google]
1446660156762.jpg
1 MB, 5628x3348
>>17015641
>I don't know your actual level of severity

I have no idea what my level of severity is neither. However, I did have a developmental delay which was pretty severe. I only learned to dress myself without assistance the age of 13 or so (I still struggle with some aspects though) and I only learned to fold my clothes and to put them away when I was 17 or so.

I don't have any friends or acquaintances, and I don't really talk to others except about the few narrow interests I have, which others often find irritating (I was told that by some people I talked to that I considered friends).

The only field where I can be considered to be somewhat functioning is academic. I feel overwhelmed by the rest and if I try to improve them, my other (often more important) skills just collapse and regress.

Also, I have very severe sensory issues on top of all that, and can't even walk on a street with people because I start feeling overwhelmed by the sensory stimuli and my cognition basically shuts off.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.