[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Anon why are you so quiet? Talk!!" Can't stand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Penguins.jpg (760 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Penguins.jpg
760 KB, 1024x768
"Anon why are you so quiet? Talk!!"

Can't stand that, I'm just having a good time and some idiot full of himself has to say that to me. The worst thing is that when he/she does that I get a lot more self-concious.

To be honest I don't like the fact that I have to drink to meet new people or to not be nervous around them. I find myself more relaxed in smaller groups but I almost always find myself at groups of 5+ persons.

I'm on teraphy for social phobia and it's going ok, but sometimes it's so hard, because you see as an inferior person to the extrovert guys... how do you deal with this.
>>
>>17011794

The trick is not to talk, but to make others talk. Follow the conversation around you, comment or ask guiding questions and others will do talking for you. Just seem interested in what they say and most people will gladly talk your ears off. Since you have social phobia it might be harder to get started, but practice makes perfect.
>>
>>17011799
Whats wrong with not talking though, why do people have to say those things to me?
>>
>>17011794

When I was younger, I used to do this to quiet men and quiet women. With quiet men, it was to lower their social standing and boost mine. Whether it worked, I don't know, but I always picked on men I thought were below me. It worked in college. I had a lot of fun.

With women, I did it if they were attractive. Sometimes worked, sometimes didn't, but it always gave me a good excuse to sit with quiet girls and try to get them to drink and bring them into the social life of the party.

Anyhow, maybe social events just aren't your thing, anon.
>>
>>17011865
Society has this weird idea that anyone who isn't talking at a social gathering is having a bad time, so they try to encourage you to be part of the discussion to somehow improve your happiness level. I don't think he was trying to be an asshole, just trying to ensure you're having a good time
>>
>>17011794
Fuck off back to /r9k/.
>>
File: party.jpg (484 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
party.jpg
484 KB, 1600x1067
>>17011794
>"Anon why are you so quiet? Talk!!"
I know this feel.
>To be honest I don't like the fact that I have to drink to meet new people or to not be nervous around them.
Be happy about it. Alcohol doesn't work for me, neither do any drugs. I wish i had some magic elixir that i could drink to loosen up and be able to chat, relax, etc.

>>17011915
What triggered you?
>>
>>17011794

use introversion in your favor. make him look like a jackass. take any geneic quote about silent

>never speak unless it will improve upon a silence.
or simply just say
>"no"

with a cheeky smile. thats what i do. if someone is going to purposely make me uncomfortable im going to make them uncomfortable worse is...
>BRING IT IN FOR A HUG
>sorry, i dont hug
>OH WELL I DO SO YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT SINCE WERE FRIENDS NOW
>apparently were not friends then.

i have no issue doing this.
>>
>>17011794
I know exactly how that feels, it's probably what initially made me more quie in the first place. Just say something smart ass back.
"Why are you quiet?"
"Why are you so loud?"
>>
I've been invited to another party where 12 girlfriends of the chick that told me to talk will be in. I'm debating whether to go or not because I'm afraid the same situation will happen and I will be ridiculized in front of everybody and some friends of mine. I think if that happens the view my friends have of me will worsen.
>>
I always counter that with 'I just have nothing to talk about, would you like to talk about something?'

Then the burden is on them to make a conversation since they wanted one so bad.
>>
>>17012382
That could end in a smart joke or in an akward silence.
>>
>>17011799
Caveat, OP: this WILL make people open up to you/like you more, but if you're trying to be more talkative/not as introverted so you can get a girlfriend, it's not going to work.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.