[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bed-side Bat?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: bat_shield_base.jpg (82 KB, 454x317) Image search: [Google]
bat_shield_base.jpg
82 KB, 454x317
Anybody have a weapon or tool by their bed at night? I'm talking strictly for self defence purposes here.
Am I paranoid for wanting a self defence weapon by the bed?
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 300x169
I have pic related on my bedstand. It's actually my outdoor knive, but it can't hurt (me) to keep it near.
>>
>>17010613
>Am I paranoid for wanting a self defence weapon by the bed?
Probably. But I don't know where you live--is there a significant home invasion problem in your neighborhood?

Personally can't understand people who feel the need to carry weapons at all, and I live in a reasonably high-crime area. Weapons are frequently turned on those who bear them, and self-defense doesn't guarantee immunity from prosecution if you go overboard and kill or seriously injure someone. But people's mileage clearly varies.
>>
In most of the Western world the odds of someone breaking into your home while you are in it is fairly low.

There are more than enough houses with gaping security flaws and minimal risk that someone isn't going to kick your door down at 3 am to try and steal your playstation in the hopes you'll be so paralyzed with fear that you won't call the police.

Keeping a weapon beside your bed is especially paranoid and dangerous if you live with other people. I get wanting a weapon to feel safe, but you can easily keep a bat near your bedroom.

You don't need anything more than a bat either. A knife is just stupid. If you're not trained in knife combat and unless you have a lot of balls (plunging a knife into someone isn't a simple task) you're not going to be able to defend yourself with.

Anyone can swing a bat though.

To anyone seriously considering buying a weapon for home defense, you do have to ask whether they've bothered to put in basic security measures like a good lock, contact with their neighbors, leaving valuables out of sight and out of easy reach, and perhaps an outside light.
>>
Jesus Christ, where I live (high density population), we leave doors open at night.

We are not even some very rich part.
>>
>>17010613
Fuck bats. I've got an assault rifle. With the safety off.
>>
>>17010613
I own a 9mm with 19 hollow points in it.

Your idea is stupid, buy a gun.

>>17010619
Stupid
>>
Yes, you're extremely paranoid. Seek help before it's too late.
>>
>>17010703
Exactly. Why steal from you?
>>
>>17010646
>In most of the Western world the odds of someone breaking into your home while you are in it is fairly low.

Depends a lot on location. It happened to me when I was in college. I lived right next to the campus and very close to a police station but that meant nothing.

The burglar attempted to break in at night while my roommate and I were in the unit. Had I not noticed the noise and scared the burglar off before he had entered through the window successfully, the situation would've become a lot more dangerous. I learned later that my apartment building was a frequent target of burglars.

>Keeping a weapon beside your bed is especially paranoid and dangerous if you live with other people. I get wanting a weapon to feel safe, but you can easily keep a bat near your bedroom.

It's not paranoia, it's being aware of the reality of the situation. There's no danger if there's mutual trust between you and your roommates. If you or your roommate intends to do harm to each other, a knife could easily be obtained from the kitchen for that purpose.

It's extremely stupid to not account for the worst-case scenarios. Anyone seriously thinking that avoiding violence means violence won't ever come to them is foolish.
>>
>>17010613
I sleep with my katana on my hip. But it doesn't matter no one is a match for my speed.
>>
>>17010613
I own some firearms and was a high volume licensed dealer for a long time.

First-If you are going to purchase a firearm for HOME defense, make sure its a shotgun. Don't buy a handgun, thats seriously terrible advice.

Everyone should have two firearms, a small personal carry that you can conceal and a shotgun for the home... everything else is just for show

Also remember in this day and age, if you have a break-in in the middle of the night, its more than likely the cops in which case you will have about 100 hollow-points in your ass in less than 10 seconds if they see you reach for a firearm.
>>
>>17010613
I live in a country where it is hard to get license for a firearm but I sleep with a cold steel kobun really close to my bad
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.