[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/, how can I get my coworkers to shut up and fuck off?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1459820643651.png (370 KB, 502x1200) Image search: [Google]
1459820643651.png
370 KB, 502x1200
Hey /adv/, how can I get my coworkers to shut up and fuck off? I've been working my first professional job since January. They have a dogshit "open office" floorplan which means there are no walls and there is no privacy. Some of my coworkers act like it's a junior high; they slack off, talk loudly, run around, throw things, act crude, etc. Normally I'd just get on with my life but when I'm on a conference call I shouldn't have to tell these grown adults to pipe down about crossfit.

How can I get them to fuck off while I'm trying to work? I normally say, "Hey, keep it down while I'm on the phone, alright?" or something like that but it doesn't last.
>>
>>17008822
You don't. Unless you become the boss and turn the open office into open totality it is impossible.

You have few options left:
>Change job. But open office is spreading all over big companies like fire.
>Learn how to work less. If your coworkers can slack off, then maybe you should ask yourself if they pay you enough.
>Learn how to ignore your surroundings.

I work in open office too, but I like it. But it highly depends on people you share space with...
>>
>>17008862
>but I like it
Why? I feel like someone is perpetually over my shoulder and the constant noise and commotion is distracting. Not only is the loud talking difficult to ignore, people think I'm "accessible" while I'm focusing on something and don't hesitate to bother me while I'm in the zone.
>>
>>17008822
That's how crossfitters are, they must talk about it 24/7 to everyone. Be thankful you don't work with vegans!
>>
>>17008922

To be fair food is a huge topic for most people.
>>
>>17008879
>Why?
I do software development. Half of the open space is filled with people who share same education / knowledge. The other half are secretaries / technical engineers who I occasionally works with to bring the best soft ever :-D

The other people around who sometimes talks to me prevents me to go full autistic and even though I am introvert, I like it. You get to know boarder spectrum of people + opinions + interesting / boring real life problems from another age groups.

Also I found thanks to this I often put too much into my work. When you see them going 3 times to coffee per day, you realize you don't have to work your ass off.
>>
>>17008947
>The other people around who sometimes talks to me prevents me to go full autistic and even though I am introvert, I like it. You get to know boarder spectrum of people + opinions + interesting / boring real life problems from another age groups.
I'm the opposite. I don't care about your crossfit, I don't care about your kid's soccer games, I don't care about your divorce, I don't care about your dinner last night. Fuck off and let me work.
>>
>>17008973
>Fuck off and let me work.
Use this phrase few times. you will get label of do-not-talk-to-this-guy or you eventually get fired. Problem solved.
>>
>>17008983
I'm leaving this job in a few months anyway, guess it couldn't hurt.

This place is such a shitshow, a comedy of errors. They can't do anything right. They don't even expect me to pick up the pieces, like I'm used to. They just let it fester.
>>
>>17009005
Welcome to corporate culture. There is a reason Dilbert is so popular
>>
>>17009017
No wonder our economy is shit. I seriously cannot imagine a large percentage of the businesses in my country are this wasteful.

A couple weeks ago they decided to buy everyone headsets, one for every employee. But nobody made sure they were compatible with our half-assed VM setup. They weren't. So all those headsets are just sitting there, wasting away.
>>
>>17009037
Most of the economy is built on waste.
>>
>>17009037
When they waste money buying those headsets, the headset company makes money. So one company's waste is another company's gain. It all evens out that way.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.