[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/, I've finally gotten everything I ever wanted.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: 2014-12-16_11-51-42-AM-csc_1785.jpg (2 MB, 4288x2848) Image search: [Google]
2014-12-16_11-51-42-AM-csc_1785.jpg
2 MB, 4288x2848
Hey /adv/,

I've finally gotten everything I ever wanted.

I have my dream career. I married my "dream girl" who is my equal and, in some areas, surpasses me (and, in some areas, I surpass her). We purchased our dream home. I have done almost everything on my "bucket list" (e.g. knocked Antarctica and the Galapagos off my list in 2015; finally knocked skydiving off my list in February). I have enough money to purchase or experience almost anything.

And, I have come to the realization, I'm not happy. I dropped out of college at 18, when I was a year away from my first BA, because I realized I wasn't happy then. I spent the next 8 years, majoritively, traveling. I found (I thought, at the time) life's je ne sais quoi. Now I come to today and I realize I haven't.

-

I'm not happy. Anyone have ideas why? Has anyone experienced something similar?

I don't want to blow my life up, but that's the pinnacle thought present in my brain. What do I do?
>>
>>17006965
Thats just general human nature my friend.
Our life is an endless struggle. We set our goals and are rewarded with a brief moment of relief or bliss or whatever you want to call it. But we will never achieve a permanent state of happiness...
>>
>>17006965
It's the "what now?" syndrome.

You devote all your energies to achieving some goal(s) and when you get there it's a letdown because the striving and anticipation were a big part of the fun.

Set new goals. They don't have to be financial. Decide to lose weight or learn Chinese or play the piano or help the less fortunate or anything. The striving will be the fun.
>>
Take a deep breath.
You know the 'je ne sais quoi", wich not everyone gets.
Maybe this is that "chemical depression".
I would suggest seeing a phychologist, speaking to him/her, and then maybe seeing a psychiatrist.
The first will give advice, the second will give drugs. A drug free life is always better, but some times necessary.
This sounds like depression. You are aware to the goods in you life, but still struggle with feeling it.
It's not bad. Just maybe necessary of help.
Or try: volunteering. (sounds stupid, but why not try it? What will it hurt????). Soup kitchen - delivering foods, clothing - working in those sad/bad areas with an organization to help the less fortunate. Try 2 hours a week. Really. Something so small can do so big, for you and for them.
What is there to lose?!
>>
Congrats you've reached the top of Maslow 's hierarchy of needs
>>
Can you not go further in your dream career?

As someone else said, set new goals- go further in your career, go back to study something related to your job etc.
>>
>>17007002

Yes. I can. There's always more.

Thanks for the thought.

>>17006989

I'm not a psychologist type of guy. But maybe, at this point, that's the next step. Maybe there's something I've overlooked.

I mean, there must be. There must be.

>>17006988

This sounds like a good thought. There's always more to strive for. But, there's really nothing more--I've felt--to strive for that isn't professional or family related. When my only hobby was the things I wanted to do in my life, what do I do when I've done them.

Thanks very much for the thought. Gives me something to ponder on. Also, makes me feel like I can go to sleep.

-

Thanks to everyone who responded. It helped. Going to sleep now.
>>
File: 14545.jpg (91 KB, 438x503) Image search: [Google]
14545.jpg
91 KB, 438x503
I really hope you die.
Seriously go die you ungrateful piece of shit.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.