[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to get into film making on an amateur level. Documentaries,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Tarantino-1050x700.jpg (78 KB, 1050x700) Image search: [Google]
Tarantino-1050x700.jpg
78 KB, 1050x700
I want to get into film making on an amateur level.
Documentaries, short films. That kind of thing.
I'm starting from ground zero. I have no camera, equipment, or anything.
What kind of camera should I use? I'm thinking of a decent DSLR would be enough for now.
I already have a decent desktop PC, and got a hold of a decent editing software.
But as for Mics? Dollies? Lighting? Any other equipment? Give me your thoughts.
Little bit about me: I'm 20, I work a next to min wage job, and I'm looking at film making as a hobby that may have the potential to grow into something bigger.
I don't have a huge budget, but I'm willing to spend a little. I'm just looking for what I'll need to get started.
Any tips for a guy like me would be appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>>17002861
The GoPro Hero 4 is good but doesn't give you many options. Personally I recommend a Canon T5i. Super good camera. Extra lense will cost you an arm and a leg, but they're always super nice to have. Make sure new lenses are exactly what you want before you buy them. Programs that are good for editing is adobe premier and DaVinci resolve. DaVinci is technically able to edit videos but the editing interface is wonky at best, it's color editing is super good and super easy to use, plus it's free. Premier is better for actual editing, interface is super easy to use with a little bit of studying and tutorials it just becomes second nature.

Look at the rocket jump film school on youtube. Tons of good video making tips
>>
>>17002861
Also don't worry about dollies and shit until you're really into it, a wheelchair or rolling chair is just as good.

Seinheiser and Rode mics are really good. Rode makes a battery powered, dslr mount-ready microphone that fairly cheap. Buy a dead cat microphone cover to record in the wind without too much interference.

If you really wanna drop some cash. Get a DJi Osmo. 4k, gimball, gyroscope, and super easy to use. Connects to your phone and uses an app to control the video settings, recording settings, and various other tweaks. They're super good for cinematic shots
>>
>>17002885
Appreciate the tips anon.
The Canon T5i sounds like a great start.
The program I've been dabbling with is Sony Vegas.
I used it to chop up a few webcam videos, nothing I couldn't have done on movie maker, but it seems pretty easy to use and pretty acclaimed.
DaVinci? I'll have to check that out.
And a wheelchair! Never thought of that.
>>
>>17002861
Don't go to film school. Go to film.
>>
File: 1357282971741.jpg (22 KB, 201x275) Image search: [Google]
1357282971741.jpg
22 KB, 201x275
I would tell u to go to /tv/ but I'm pretty sure those meme loving fucks would help.
Bump for you OP, I too am interested in a bit of movie making and good luck in your endeavour.
>>
Just get a microphone and film on a smartphone with a decent camera to begin with.

Don't waste money you don't have until you know why you want the tools you are going to buy. Learning the basics of writing, editing, and using a camera is the most important thing to do right now.
>>
>>17002951
good advice, thanks
>>
>>17002938
Thanks anon. you as well.
>>
>>17002938
>>17002961
Meant to say "wouldn't help", and yeah good luck.
>>
>>17002936
I agree, and i'm not.
If i had rich as fuck parents I would probably go to a really prestigious film school or whatever.
But many successful film makers never went to film school. Take Quentin Tarantino for instance. Never even graduated high school.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.