[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So long story short I binged the fuck out playing vidya as a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: graffiti.png (98 KB, 460x561) Image search: [Google]
graffiti.png
98 KB, 460x561
So long story short I binged the fuck out playing vidya as a kid and now I have social anxiety.
I'm in college now and getting nervous in seminar is fuckin me over big time.
How do you anons get over social anxiety?
>>
>>16992588

mostly by facing the problems and deconstructing them logically.

the only way to get good at something is to do it, and fail, and see hwat you did wrong.

deconstructing it helps you figure out what the issue is
for instance
>if i go to class, what is the worst realistic scenario that could happen?
>if i raise my hand and stutter, people might giggle
>but by tomorrow no one will remember or care
>therefore it doesnt matter if i giggle
>at best someone remembers and im more identifiable and memorable if we talk
>4 years from now none of these people will even remember or talk to me unless I so choose, therefore even if i make a big fool of ymself it has no effect on my actual life
>therefore i should push myself to say as much as i can so that i can get over the bad parts
>that way when im out of colelge ill have the experience to talk confidently knowing how to do it.

it works. 5 years ago you could not convince me to talk to someone even if you put me in a room and they started surveying me. now i talk to strangers for whatever fleeting reason i want.
>>
Exposure therapy and meds.

For some people CBT or mindfulness helps as well.
>>
>>16992594
Alright I'll work on the deconstructing bit and rationalizing things. That makes more sense.
Thanks man.
>>16992596
I can't exactly go to my doctor and say Hey, I have social anxiety, can I get some drugs?
Or is that what I have to do?
>>
>>16992611

>im not even diagnosed

dude. you go to a therapist and explain. they help you work through it. if you go to school they often have free counseling, hwoever they dont prescribe (unless im mistaken) but can refer you to someone who can.
>>
>>16992588
>So long story short I binged the fuck out playing vidya as a kid and now I have social anxiety.
Nigga don't blame it on the vidya.
>getting nervous in seminar
>seminar
Out of curiosity, what country are you from and what kind of class format do you use this term for? (noticed it's a common point of confusion among english speakers from different areas).

>>16992594
>what is the worst realistic scenario that could happen?
Do this and go from there, it's the very first question most therapists ask for good reason.

>>16992611
>I can't exactly go to my doctor and say Hey, I have social anxiety, can I get some drugs?
Obviously. You don't go the doctor and tell them what to do, you go to the doctor and tell them what's wrong with you, then they figure what it is and how to fix it.
Like >>16992695 said, you can also go to a therapist first, whichever's more convenient (each will refer you to one of the others when necessary). And yeah, most unis in civilized countries have a free psych office on campus: "free" means you're already paying for it anyway so go use it
>>
1) Exposure - The most important thing. You really have to challenge yourself repeatedly. But don't overwhelm yourself.

2) Build your self esteem. Learn to start accepting and liking yourself. It's really hard to be outgoing/confident if you're always thinking negative things about yourself. Tell yourself throughout the day that you're not perfect, but still pretty damn awesome.

3) Remember that we're all going to die one day and no one will remember you in about 100 years. That helps to take the pressure off.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.