[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Salary negotiation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: 1308364424078.jpg (610 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
1308364424078.jpg
610 KB, 2592x1936
Alright, so I'm graduating in May with CS degree, 3.4 gpa, from run of the mill state uni. My first job offer was for 40k, but according to google, entry level gets ~61k average. Given that this could easily vary based on area, I double checked salary.com for my area, which was only a few thou off with salary for software developer 1 around 59k average (bottoming out at 46k for the lowest 10%). Now, I'm no hotshot, otherwise I'd know I'd be worth average at least. That being said, while 40k is much more than I've ever made in my life, they are clearly lowballing me as a fresh grad.

Of course, this is my first offer, and I know my degree is in demand, but I can't help but like the company and the experience I know I'd get there (also it's hard to wrap my head around refusing the first, highest amount of money I've ever been offered in my life). I’ve never done this kind of thing before. My friend (who has more experience and a higher GPA than I do) told me I shouldn’t even give them the time of day with so low an offer—but of course he is allowed to be so demanding, given he’s a better candidate. My mother, on the other hand, isn't used to such high numbers on entry, and thinks I should take it without negotiation!

Either way, it's my first real offer and I've never negotiated a salary before, let alone +10k or more of salary. I have to give them my answer on Monday. What should I do?
>>
Is it enough money for how you want to live?
Will you not hate this job?
If yes and yes, I would say take it. Nothing stopping you from looking for better while working.
>>
File: grow-your-career-02.jpg (73 KB, 650x450) Image search: [Google]
grow-your-career-02.jpg
73 KB, 650x450
>>16988368
First off, don't listen to your mother. They don't know anything about this and will only drag you down. I've been told by my family that CS was shit, that I should quit my career and get any shit-tier job ASAP, and so on and so forth so many times man. If your parents run a company then listen to them, but if your parents "aren't used to such high numbers": congratulations, you did better than them, now move on and find your own answer.

Secondly, when you choose your job in the STEM field you are choosing a path to success. Building a stair if you will. Each company with the experience you get, with the role you're playing in, each will allow you to take a step in a higher position with a better payment. So be carefully.

It's not only about money. Is it a good company? Take it. In a few years you will be in a position where you will be able to choose where you want to work and for how many.

Is it a small company? Is not worth it unless they pay well. You will want to change your job eventually and you'll find yourself old with an non-impressive resume. Is not a bad idea though to stay a year and move on to a better company with a better salary.
>>
I say you should take the offer. At least you'll have something to put on your resume when you decide to work for another company later on. You should only negotiate if you think you're an exceptional candidate.
>>
OP here. I think I will take the offer. Thanks guys

Also, I am gay if that makes any difference
>>
File: 9468132_orig.jpg (177 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
9468132_orig.jpg
177 KB, 800x800
>>16988383
>enough money for how I want to live

Good question: I'm not materialistic really at all--my desired life is easily affordable at double minimum wage, to be honest. If anything, it's just a pride thing, like how much do they think I'm worth. Which I admit is a very naive mindset entering the working world. I can’t imagine hating the job though, and I’m willing to keep my eyes peeled for something else.

>>16988451
lol thanks for the chart.
>family only drag you down

Yeah, that makes sense. My father would probably tell me to negotiate, even though he's "not used to the numbers" either--he's the type who likes to haggle for the quality of a deal.

>small company
and
>good company

It is a very small company, but they've been around since the early 90s--insurance claims. They don't have many employees. So according to your advice, it’s probably not worth it unless I stay a year and look around for better jobs, which I am willing to do. That being said, the kind of experience I’d be getting relates not only to OOP (though this is an uncomfortably extensive web and UI capacity: SQL server, MVC 6, c#, JS, etc.) but also server maintenance and stuff like that which I feel is pretty modular experience for my resume(hopefully?).

>>16988493
Lel m8
>>
Try to negotiate your salary. Too many people avoid doing this because they are scared, but in many cases they could have pulled in an average of 8k more.

Just wait until you run into a coworker who does way less than you, but earns more because he had the balls to negotiate.
>>
>>16988990

Thanks, that's what I'm going to try and do. Yeah, I would feel worse than ever if someone I knew from school who I knew cheated on all their exams came in and negotiated higher. I can actually see that happening with some of the more charismatic underclassmen from my school... 3.4 might not be the highest gpa, but at least I earned it.
>>
Do you have experience outside of academics?
No?
Then take your fucking job offer. It's pathetic watching fresh graduates turn down good jobs because B-B-B-BUT SALARY S-STARTS A-AT THIS!

No, you don't get to fucking negotiate. They're giving you a solid salary AND a job to get experience in. You're unproven and an unknown, CS graduates are a dime a dozen now.
Take the job, prove yourself in the company, and ask for a 6 month review, you entitled little shit.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.