[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: I_can__feel.gif (510 KB, 700x827) Image search: [Google]
I_can__feel.gif
510 KB, 700x827
So here's my situation in a nutshell:

>23
>live in canada
>self taught in a lot of things
>fairly intelligent and quick to learn
>no highschool diploma
>cisco cert for networking in homes and small businesses
>NACE L2 coatings inspector certificate
>been working as an entry level accountant/HR for a large company for two years making $17/hr
>stuck in a rut, want to make more money
>locked to this job until I can find another that pays a similar wage due to bills (car, phone, etc)
>dream jobs include writing, singing, and professional driving, all of which I've taught myself to do

I want out but I'm afraid to make the jump. I'm sick of working 60 hours a week and being paid for 40 because I'm a salary employee due to a technicality. My options are limited considering that I have little "formal" training and I have little experience as well.

I could go back to school but how would I pay my bills? I could work as a coatings inspector but finding a position will be hard considering my lack of field experience; the same goes for the networking bit. As for my dream jobs.. well.. they're only dreams.

What should I do? Where can I search for something new?
>>
If all else fails, and you're concerned about paying bills/putting a roof over your head, always consider the military or law enforcement. You will probably want to get a GED first in order to apply. Computer guys are always in demand, so yeah, if you gots skills then I'd say you have a shot.
>>
>>16995008

I've considered both. In order to become anything worthwhile in the military I would need a degree. Unless, of course, I wanted to join as an NCO.

As for law enforcement - same deal. I would need a degree or university credit hours in certain classes in addition to a police studies university course.

I also have a moral conflict of interest here because:

a) I'd consider myself anti-establishment.

2) I like drugs. A lot. I'm not into any HEAVY shit mind you, but I do enjoy smoking pot and taking the occasional psychedelic.
>>
>>16995031
Forces will fund your degree and school you at RMC in Ontario.
>>
>>16995008

And he means if you REALLY have skills. Don't do what I did and go with computer sciences. You will fuck yourself up, unless you know the basic ins and outs of coding.
>>
>>16995036

True, but then I'm locked in a contract with the military for 2x - 3x the amount of time I spend in school IIRC.

>>16995040

I've dabbled in coding. I don't like it. I'd rather work with the hardware, not the software.
>>
>>16995044
That's going to be a problem, because literally 75% of the computer geeks go into Hardware. The world is oversaturated with that. I mean, you can try and make a living as a techmonkey, but expect vast competition around you. Programmers are the real moneymakers, but at the same time, it fucking sucks.
>>
>>16995049

Yeah I've heard. A couple of friends went straight from highschool into CS. They hated it, dropped out, and did another computer related course at the local college.

Thinking on it now.. I'd rather avoid another desk job. I've been doing this one for two years and it has caused me to heavily rethink my decision.
>>
Hey OP, i am in the same situation as you, be my friend, lets talk, you have nothing to loose :)
>>
>>16995044
You don't just get into RMC because you apply, you need exceptionally good marks, leadership, working in teams.

The contract isn't that bad. I had 12 gear contract.

Of which 4 was university, and the next 4 would of been training / ojt, and the final four of actually do your job.

There is nothing wrong with being an NCM either, I have lots of close friends who ct'ed as NCMs and they are having a good go at it.

With cpls making 55k (pre-tax) plus field pay, plus pld, plus various claims. It isn't a bad go money wise.
>>
>>16995168

I'm not one for pen pals. Besides, what makes you think that we would have anything in common?
>>
>>16995183

Honestly man, I can't justify working for/fighting for a government that I don't have faith in or share an ideology with. Do they really have my best interests in mind? I am to them as the employees I do payroll for are to me: Just another name on the list.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.