[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Accepting who you are?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
This is a mindset that I am able to maintain. But it is often difficult at times. I can accept the fact that I'm stupid. I know I'm not a smart person. I get it. But it hurts sometimes when I see people and friends advancing through careers and just life, while they tell me and try to encourage me to do things. But I know I can't. I know the saying "you can be whatever you want to be" is a lie. I know it. You can try hard as you possibly can and continuously fail. Or maybe you're just not cut out for a certain task, even if it's something that you are passionate about. I've always thought a part of overcoming a challenge is knowing and accepting faults.

I've failed the last 3 entrance exams for jobs I've been wanting for years. Exams that you can't study for, they are just common sense exams. That hurt. I know people who passed and are working those jobs now and love it. And I'm still stuck at my job.

I'm not college material either. I'd love to be a commercial Airline pilot. But I'm not smart enough for a Degree.

Can someone explain to me why I shouldn't off myself? Why live a life when you can't spend it doing what you care about? Sure, I would understand that if you had a family, then maybe it wouldn't matter as long as you have them. But I don't want that. I don't want a family. So why shouldn't I kill myself?
>>
to add. I'm currently working a job making $54,000/yr. and I have $72,000 in savings. So yes, my job isn't total shit. But I do not enjoy it at all, and I don't have any advancement opportunities
>>
No one can convince you of something that you have already decided to deny.

That said. I'm not here to convince you. I'm just here to state my opinion since you are clearly asking for it.

What is the one thing that causes most people to be unhappy? Want. Unhappy humans are those that are never satisfied. They rather focus on negatives than the many positives that fill their lifes.
Everyday, there is always something to be grateful for and, this, happy about.

A wise man once said, "Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn’t learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn’t learn a little, at least we didn’t get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn’t die; so, let us be thankful."
>>
>>16994009

I am thankful that I have a decent paying job, and I'm not having a terrible quality of life.

It's just difficult when you look up at the sky everyday and just watch airplanes take off and land. Wishing everyday I could be up there but can't because I'm not intelligent.

It just seems like it's easy for people to settle when they have a purpose, such as a wife and kids. Because all they care about them is providing.

But for someone like me, who will never have a family. It's hell because I have no purpose.
>>
File: ch0703.gif (46 KB, 600x189) Image search: [Google]
ch0703.gif
46 KB, 600x189
>>16994027
I always find that pic related helps me out whenever I'm thinking about life.
>>
>>16994051

I don't understand what it means.
>>
Just remebering some lines off the top of my head , not verbatim but

"Practice , even when success looks hopeless . The left hand is better at reining a horse than the right because it has more practice ,"

And (basically)

"Do not let the "fact" you cannot do something bother you - infact, if other mortal men are able to do / learn something , than surely you can as well. There is nothing especially different between you two,"

-Marcus Aurelius
>>
>>16994064

>Do not let the "fact" you cannot do something bother you - infact, if other mortal men are able to do / learn something , than surely you can as well. There is nothing especially different between you two,"

But that's not true. Not everyone is the same.
>>
>>16994076
We were all dealt different cards when we were born , some much better than others.

Look, what I'm about to say to you is the honest to god truth - you will never get better at anything you do in your life if you don't take individual resposibility for everything you do , everything . Some people may hinder you on the way , sure , but because you have free will, and because IQ is also a third based on your own free will (the other genetic and environmental), there isn't much that really stops you from doing anything but yourself , sans you having a legitimate extra chromosome or two .
>>
>>16994086

A guy could train his entire life and never ever be good enough to be a Olympian. Or a girl could study her entire life to be a Astronaut and never accomplish her goal.

I don't see how this is any different. I'm not smart. I've tried college before and failed miserably. I've gotten several tutors, I've taken additional classes over the years to try to learn. I've bought study books. But I can not do it. I have put in a lot of effort, money, and time. But I'll never be smart enough to pass college. I couldn't even pass the first semester..
>>
>>16994086

I'm not blaming others. I'm not saying others are causing me my misery. I know it's my fault, it's my fault because I'm just stupid .
>>
File: 46534674378458.jpg (31 KB, 680x478) Image search: [Google]
46534674378458.jpg
31 KB, 680x478
>>16993979
I'm pretty much in the exact same situation as you, so I understand the feeling. Frankly I got no idea why I keep going, I think the only reason that has kept me from suicide is my mother.

Lack of purpose is quite honestly the worst thing that can ever happen to a man. When every day is basically just another day you survived, you start to see how pointless it is.

My advice to you would be the same thing I'm trying at the moment, and that is trying out new things. I know perfectly well what I don't want to do, but as far as the things I want to do go, it's somewhat ambiguous.

You seem to be in a position where you have quite a lot of money, so you could most likely afford to try out a bunch of new things, maybe something will stick.
>>
>>16994111

I want to try new things, just, it's hard to try new things when you don't have the qualifications to do new things..
>>
>>16994107
>Olympian
See genetic argument
>failed """astronaut"""
We call these people losers .

All I can say is that if you desire something you will do it . It sounds like you have a lot more problems than you need to resolve other than you can study for a test
.>>16994109

No, it's not your fault that you're stupid . It's your fault that you choose to be stupid , and the evidence is the fact that instead of going out , trying to get better at studying , you posted a thread on a morrocan basket weaving forum with a thread on how to cope with the fact that you've been a loser and not a thread about how to stop being one.
>>
File: tumblr_o4lus7c9QI1uzg6sbo1_500.gif (2 MB, 489x349) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o4lus7c9QI1uzg6sbo1_500.gif
2 MB, 489x349
>>16994123
Try going for stuff that doesn't need hard qualifications, or ones that don't need one at all.

I don't know all your interests, so you may not be interested in things like that, but there's a great variety of things you can try.
A bunch of physical things, volunteering, absolutely entry level jobs that basically need no experience are a good start. It's hard to really give tips when I don't know your general direction, because I may just be talking about stuff that wouldn't interest you at all.

Another great thing to do, and it's something that only people with money or opportunities can do, is travelling. The best times in my life were spent travelling to new places and they give incredible insight if you keep an open mind and stay perceptive about the things around you.

You have more opportunity to try things out than most people, unless you purely want to go for something academic, which your brain limits in your case.
Also I would advise you to go to a doc with your problem. For all you know, you might actually have some slight brain problems that fuck with your thinking, meds could definitely help with that.
>>
>>16994127
>It's your fault that you choose to be stupid , and the evidence is the fact that instead of going out , trying to get better at studying

But I DID. I really tried! I can not do academics. Even things I'm interested in I can't learn. I want to learn Italian too, and I took that class which is something I was excited about. But could not learn.
>>
>>16994147
>Another great thing to do, and it's something that only people with money or opportunities can do, is travelling. The best times in my life were spent travelling to new places and they give incredible insight if you keep an open mind and stay perceptive about the things around you.

That's one of the reasons I wanted to be a pilot.. I love airplanes and flying. But I also want to travel. And that would pay me to travel the world.

There isn't many jobs like that. I tried to become a Federal Air Marshal. But I couldn't pass the entrance exam. That was a humiliating experience because so many people believed in me, and supported me. And I let all of them down.
>>
>>16994148
Do you wanna be more detailed than "you could not " and you "tried"? What , did you stare at the textbook and can't sudden dislexyia ?
>>
>>16994165

I said before, I got tutors, I went to tutoring sessions. I watched YouTube videos, I tried my best to do the assignments, I'd stay after class with the professor.

I'm 25 years old. I'm not a typical college kid who goes and parties every day. I work and when I was in school, I worked and did school.
>>
>>16994179
Don't give me this "I tried my best shit,".
What physically happened ? You looked at the page and nothing clicked ? What ?

Oh, and word of advice with those tutors -
If they don't help you or get the job done , drop them . They are a waste of money . If they can't help you now , they won't help you ever , so you need to move on to someone else .
>>
File: 3569757358.jpg (49 KB, 640x359) Image search: [Google]
3569757358.jpg
49 KB, 640x359
>>16994157
There's a whole lot of jobs, and even volunteer opportunities that allow you to travel the world.
What I meant is that your main reason for travelling, should just be that, travelling. Sure it would be great to get a job that allows you to travel and you like as well, but right now settle for just the travelling part. Experiencing new cultures, countries, etc can help you define things in your life and move forward.

Hell, with the amount of money you have, you could afford to just travel without a job for a while, if you know a thing or two about keeping a tight budget.

As for letting people down, forget that whole thing. The only reason you should go for jobs or choose a path in your life is you, nobody else. The only person you're letting down is yourself when you fail.

And once again, I do think you should check up with a doc, I know people who were quite a bit slow and they got a bunch of meds to basically get to a normal level, so I'm guessing it helps a lot.
>>
>>16994202

My brain can not absorb the material. I can't understand it halftime. Even if the professor is explaining it to me for 30+ min privately after class. (Which I would show up 40min early and stay 40min later every single day in most of my classes). It didn't matter on the subject.

I would just fall farther and farther behind. One of my professors would even let me retake tests multiple times. And I never did good.

Oh, and the tutors were recommended by the college.
>>
>>16994204
>Hell, with the amount of money you have, you could afford to just travel without a job for a while, if you know a thing or two about keeping a tight budget.

I thought about this, but I'm scared that I'd be completely fucked when I returned home. Not being able to find another job making as much as I do, or any job for that matter.
>>
>>16994221
>my brain cannot absorb material
Well, have you considered the fact you might have an extra chromosome or two ? What has a doctor said ?

>reccomended
Who the fuck cares . If they don't do the job they aren't worth it .
>>
>>16994230
>Well, have you considered the fact you might have an extra chromosome or two?

I literally translate that as you have a shit brain.

>What has a doctor said?

when I was a kid they said I had ADD.
>>
>>16994243
Go to another doctor now and ask about it . Like I said , the only thing that can stop you is yourself or legitimate Autism. Maybe now that you aren't a kid they won't give the add answer and throw a bunch of pills at you parents to buy.
>>
File: 453735683568.jpg (33 KB, 620x341) Image search: [Google]
453735683568.jpg
33 KB, 620x341
>>16994226
As fucking cliche as it sounds fear IS the little-death, especially in our kind of situation. Not being able to make a little jump and sitting inside the half-comfort you're in will simply kill you. You need to get out of the still waters, you need to do something that's risky, otherwise you're stuck.
And trust me, there's no way you couldn't get a really shit job if you came back from travelling, and that's a worst case scenario. You may end up making less than you used to, but fuck it, if that's the cost of potentially making progress, go for it.
>>
>>16994251

so what else could they possibly say? "You have a bad brain?"
>>
>>16994256

I think there is a difference from risk taking, and making irresponsible decisions..
>>
>>16993979
>But I know I can't. I know the saying "you can be whatever you want to be" is a lie. I know it.
Not really. It just changes how you can get to where you're trying to go.

There are plenty of idiots out there who are rich as fuck. Their families just figured out something that made them rich, like OH there's oil here maybe I should build some wells out here. Boom, wealthy. And with wealth, yeah you can pretty much do anything.

But if you're trying to become an NFL player, then yeah, you're right, you're probably not going to play in the NFL. But you can do a LOT of shit in this life even though you're stupid.
>>
>>16994258
Well, it's certainly possible . People who are beat by their parents don't have the same look as those that do . You might even have a legitimate learning problem . Science is a Wonderous thing . You might even get better if they know what the exact problem is .
>>
File: 654634545.gif (768 KB, 500x230) Image search: [Google]
654634545.gif
768 KB, 500x230
>>16994263
Is it irresponsible though? I mean, if you got people to take care of then sure, it would definitely be a pretty rough decision to make.

However if you got noone you need to take care of, then that means you gotta take care of yourself first of all. You're saying you're debating offing yourself, so it's not like you're enjoying life at all. It's not like ending up with a shittier job will do much in the endgame. Sometimes choices like this have to be made in order to change the course of things.

If you do have people who need you in a financial way, I can understand perfectly if you don't wanna do it though.
>>
OP here.

I thought this thread would help me out and think about things, but it's making me really, really depressed.. I'm so fucking sad right now, like I haven't been in years. I think I might go..
>>
>>16993979
>I can accept the fact that I'm stupid. I know I'm not a smart person. I get it.
Where did you even get this idea?
And some people are genuinely stupid, but stupid people are usually much happier in my experience that highly intelligent people. This is because they have less worries, less responsibility, less duties, less pressure, less expectations, etc: they can live a more "Hakuna Matata" life. So look at it this way, OP: if you actually are a dumbass, you'll have an easier time finding happiness and satisfaction.

>I know the saying "you can be whatever you want to be" is a lie. I know it. You can try hard as you possibly can and continuously fail.
True, we're not all cut out for everything. That said, you might think a guy with no legs should give up trying to be an Olympic runner, but then there's Pistorius and co.
You'd be surprised what limitations you can overcome with the help of modern and future medical science.

>I'm not college material either
>I'm not smart enough for a Degree.
Bullshit. Maybe you're not smart enough for astrophysics, but just talk to any college student if you think there aren't tons of total idiots managing to scrape together enough C's for a degree. And majors like communication/journalism/english/education/etc are considered to be preferred by the dumb. The fact that you can write articulately like this means you aren't full-on mentally disabled, so I assure you that you can get a degree. It may take you longer, you may have to work harder, but you can get it.

>Why live a life when you can't spend it doing what you care about?
What do you care about? Think carefully about this. Let's do some guidance-counselor shit:
-- What do you like to do for fun? Hobbies, interests?
-- What were your favorite subjects back in school? Anything people noticed you were really into?
-- List some ideal jobs/Describe your dream job.
-- Describe an ideal workday for you.
>>
>>16994296
OP, if you're still here, please see a psychiatrist.
They can help both with the depression and the possible learning disability.
And if you actually have serious ongoing ADHD problems, those are fixable.
Don't fucking quit now, you haven't gone through all your options yet.

>>16994221
>My brain can not absorb the material. I can't understand it halftime. Even if the professor is explaining it to me for 30+ min privately after class. It didn't matter on the subject.
It's hard to tell what's actually wrong from this, still vague. "I can't learn like others can" is the educational version of saying "i'm sick": a gorillion different things could be wrong. Gotta go in and get specific, otherwise the only advice we can give is the same ("go to a doctor and have them figure it out").

You might just not be able to learn using the methods tried so far, for one: some people have problems where the pathways in the brain that process certain types of inputs have trouble writing new memories: these people are basically unable to learn using certain inputs (eg verbal) and must rely on the others for long-term retention. This is especially bad in 3rd-world and east-asian countries where people attempt to rely on few or even a single approach for all learning.

>Oh, and the tutors were recommended by the college.
Did you try studying with other students? Especially with highly successful ones?
Oftentimes, they can help you with the above by pinpointing problems that a tutor can't.

>>16994258
>"You have a bad brain?"
You don't just simply have a "bad brain": you'd usually say something like that about people with brain damage due to disease, trauma, or genetic mutations (eg Down syndrome)
The very fact that you can write articulately means you're not actually retarded.
>>
>>16993979
Go out and travel. Do crazy shit. Do odd jobs here and there for money and be a traveling hobo. Go out and do shit
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.