[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Needing advice on manual labor job.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: mill.jpg (88 KB, 594x397) Image search: [Google]
mill.jpg
88 KB, 594x397
Im starting a job at a grain elevator where im required to lift 50 pound grain bags for 8 hours a day. the place loads about 120 tons of feed daily and the only break is lunch or helping a customer. im about 140 pounds with little to no physical activity and im a little worried about not being able to keep up. my buddy works there and will be doing the same job (he got me the job) and he says ill just get use to it. does anyone else have work experience similar to this and what would you recommend I do to get myself ready.
>>
>>16990629
Well, just be sure to bring water if you can and I mean a pretty good amount, drink it all.

I'd suggest looking up some stretches for your legs, upper and lower back, shoulders, and neck do those as much as possible after work.

Eat as much as possible and you will be fine.

I do similar work and have seen people your size do fine btw. You'll get used to it after a week or 2 and notice it just keep it up.

Also please be safe and follow the rules if you get hurt your out of work you have no idea how important your body is until you work jobs like this you know?
>>
>>16990658
Oh yeah cut off your phone after work and get as much sleep as possible.

I know this is all common sense but trust me you'll thank me and it'll make your first time doing so much work easier, and you wont be cramping pathetically in your bed (as much),from the days previous work.
>>
I've worked a ton of different labor jobs for years.
Get there a few minutes early and stretch. Drink tons of water, and bring snacks on top of a large lunch. Eat things like clif bars during your smoking breaks.

You don't have to impress anyone especially since it's your first day. If you need to slow down, slow down. Don't ever stop and just sit there, but it's alright to slow your pace if you're starting to hurt. Stretch after lunch.

You'll be sore as fuck every night for the first week or two, but it will go away.
Also, you'll want to drink after work, but don't, because working while hungover is the worst thing ever.
>>
Be careful, learn how to lift without fucking up your back. Don't push yourself too hard.
>>
>>16990629
Eat heaps of good food and stay hydrated. I miss my labor job in a way. We had to carry steel beams and it was all good. At the time I was 70kg.
>>
>>16990629
It's going to be a bitch like the other guy said for the first weeks , just take it slow , and properly lift and you will get stronger and get paid for it.
>>
Just show up to work on time and the rest sorts itself out.
>>
>>16990629
>8 hour shifts
>no breaks except lunch

I'm pretty sure that's illegal, m8.
>>
>>16991378
Don't it depend on how long the lunch is? I'm sure he'll get a 10 in somewhere as well.
>>
>>16991385
Lunch can influence that, but I seriously doubt OP'll get an hour lunch.

OP, check labor laws online: a lot of labor jobs, especially small companies that don't know better, break a ton of fucking laws when it comes to employee treatment.

This isn't fucking 1885, you have rights as an employee to not feel like a fucking slave to your job.
>>
>>16991394
Dude. Chill.

The law in my state says an 8 hour or longer shift needs to be given enough time to eat a meal, and an employee needs to be allowed to use the nearest restroom once every 4 hours.
>>
>>16991408
Man, I've just had a lot of jobs like this that have treated me and other employees like expendable garbage, and I'd hate to see someone else fall into the same trap.
>>
>>16991412
Just don't deal with small companies. Easy peasy. Small companies are usually the worst. Family run is even worse, nepotism extremely.

Secondly, they need to post these regulations in their HR area. So there's that. If they don't, they have other problems. Not that the US government enforces shit about shit.

Thirdly, employees ARE expendable garbage. The employer/employee relationship is based on each party trying to exploit the other the most.
Anyone who thinks anything different is a moron.

I don't let myself become expendable, I become the best in my area to the point where getting rid of me would be suicide. And that's all there really is to it.

Don't get loyal or dependent to a company, it's a bad idea. You have the right to call it quits and leave at any time, use it if they pull bullshit.
>>
>>16991378
I don't believe it is in my state, and I really wouldn't have a choice because I never finished high school. This is the first job I've had since I dropped out (I'm 20 now).
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.