[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My family is super racist and I'm not. I'm black, dating
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1432807523838.jpg (123 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1432807523838.jpg
123 KB, 640x640
My family is super racist and I'm not. I'm black, dating a white guy. Should I ever introduce him, or just hide him forever? We've been dating for a while already.

Pretty sure this is the real deal, and we're going to be together for a very long time.
>>
Are you super tight with your family or have you moved out?

Prob gonna have to keep on down low if that's the case. Stick up for yourself and bf if your family finds out. Cut them out if you need to.

Love yourself and your man. Fuck that shit. If it's the real deal. Let love take you guys to where you need to go.
>>
It's really unfortunate, and super shitty to think of, but you're going to eventually have to consider who to choose to stick with, your boyfriend or your family, mostly because your family is going to put you in that fucking horrible position. If you've been dating for a while--and if you're serious, this is important--then strongly think of when and how you'll reveal your boyfriend to your family. Because you can't hide him forever.

I'm sorry it has to be this way. It's unfair. But it is the reality of your situation, so learn how best to adapt to it. Plan ahead, anticipate what the reaction will be, and think on what you can stand to lose.
>>
>>16990389

first of all, congrats for recognising bigotry regardless of its source. However expect that you will run into problems because of it within your ethnicity more often than not. and it won't be limited to your family, minorities have a higher percentage of people believing they are okay to hate any race and it doesnt count as racism.

are you a mostly self sufficient person? or do you still live with/rely on family for any direct assistance?
>>
>>16990405
>>16990518
I live on my own, but still have a lot of contact with my family.
>>16990427
That's what I'm afraid of. I'd prefer not to lose either of them.
>>
Family is overrated.
Especially a family of uppity negroes.
>>
My wife's family is incredibly racist. I've been with her for 6 years and some of the family still hasn't accepted me, and some of those still can't treat me decently.

I have had to learn to not respond to people disliking me just because of how they perceive me. That said, she's Hong Kongese and I'm white; I'm not sure how much overlap this has with other interracial partnerships, but I imagine it has some.

If I were you, I would introduce him bit by bit to family members that are more accepting. Things have a way of getting around from there. Better to start with someone who is going to have a good impression than with a group of people, some of whom won't like your partner no matter what.
>>
Please ignore all the /pol/ guys and racist comments
>>
race mixing is degeneracy. gas all race traitors!
>>
Jesus lass, if my family didn't approve of my s/o purely based on skin color I would never talk to them again. Like fuck, how can you love someone when they wanna control you on such a minute level.
>>
>>16990556
If you disagree with your family about such a fundamental issue, you should have cut them out of your life long ago, boyfriend or not.
>>
>>16990567
fuck off faggot before you there literally one of the five posts could be considered /pol/ish

believe it or not op. this is actually the guys call. how he reacts to this tells you a lot about him. does he want to meet your family? does he know they dont want to meet them? does he know why they dont want to meet him? does he still want to me them anyways? if you can answer yes to all these questions honestly, congradulations, you have found yourself the biggest cuck in existence and a potentially unlimited backup income source for life. in this case just hid him in your basement under the pretext that he'll be murdered causes he's likely a pussy ass faggot bitch that wont even defend himself.
>>
>>16990518
That was very important that you explained all that in a thread were everyone is already aware of that minorities can also be racist. Here is your cookie, genius.
>>
>>16990734
Its still hard to do. I know its a problem, but i still love them.
>>16990567
Way ahead of ya.
>>16990565
Thanks for the perspective.
>>
>>16990389

Racism = oppression + power black families can't be racist
>>
>>16990565

My gf family is Chinese Malay and I will be meeting them this summer. You got me more hella nervous desu
>>
I can relate, OP. I'm not Black though, I'm North African living where there's a large majority of white people and my family is racist to the point of threatening me if I even hang out platonically with white guys. I wonder if they're not more racist against me (and by extension themselves) than against white people sometimes. I never tried to get a bf because of this, but that's because unlike you I'm still living with my family and I'm too poor to live right now.

If like me your family ever threatened you, even jokingly, don't tell them anything and don't hint at your relationship with your bf. If your bf wants to meet your family, try to explain the situation instead of making him think that they'll be nice with him if they actually meet him. One of my white friend told me her bf's parents gave her so much shit she can't trust Turks anymore, and I'm sure you want to avoid that. If you think your family could accept your bf after some time, take it slowly I guess? I'm not sure about that situation so I won't say stupid things.
>>
>>16990389

My wife is Chinese and I'm Australian (white if it matters). She went through a similar thing when she told her parents she was dating a white westerner. They actually tried to get her to break up and come back home (she had come to Australia as an international uni student).

It upset her that her parents did this to her and put a lot of pressure on her. In the end she chose to stay with me and not do as her parents wanted. Luckily she has not had to cut them out as they backed down somewhat.

We have been married nearly 8 years now and they do not fully accept or approve of me. But they have realised that if they want their daughter to still talk to them then they have to accept reality. That point got driven home when our daughter was born (her parent's first and currently only grand-daughter). If they wanted to be able to visit and see/talk to their grand-daughter then they needed to accept that I am in the picture, approval or not.

It has not always been easy and I know my wife's parents still make not so polite comments about me. They grew up during the Mao era and still have a very negative view of nearly every country or people that are not Han Chinese. I just let it slide.

Interestingly, my family (immediate and extended), who are all 'white', didn't give a s**t that I was getting with a Chinese girl.

>>16992131

Has she mentioned you to her parents yet? If she has and they haven't put pressure on her to get rid of you then you should be okay. Provided you behave and are respectful. Its when they disapprove and say you need to marry someone from her culture/background that s**t starts to hit the fan. Becomes a big problem when the parents want their child to marry for connections that they, the parents, can use, instead of what will make their child happy.

Had that kind of commentary snidely dropped every now and then by my wife's parents.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.