[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Depression Treatment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
I recently came to the conclusion that I am depressed. Despite having a happy and successful life on paper I cannot get out of bed in the morning.
I have started daily meditation and have been for 2 months which while providing me slightly better understanding of my depression it hasn't changed it.

I do not have a horrible life by any means nor do I have a singular reason I can point at and 'This is why I am depressed!', regardless I spend every night in bed unable to sleep without some sort of aid. Interactions with others during the day have become strained and I have gotten to the point that I speak as little as possible.

I don't think I can fix this through meditation or mindfulness. Where do I go from here? I would like to avoid medication if at all possible but if that is required I am not vehemently opposed to it.

TL;DR Just realized I have been depressed for months and despite daily meditation I am no closer to getting over it, what do?
>>
Lifestyle change? Sometimes its your lifestyle thats the issue try gym, social activities and maybe explore more hobbie options.
>>
>>16989911

>i came to the conclusion that i am depressed
>not my therapist or psychiatrist

that was your first mistake.

>i have a happy and successful life
>but i am sad

this is an oxymoron. if you were depressed you wuldnt be able to objectively acknowledge the happy stuff happening, cuz to you it wouldnt be happy. it'd be humdrum at best.

>how do i treat my mental disorder

with a mental doctor.
>>
read the wiki page on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, then read Feeling Good by David Burns or just go to his website and read all the blogs- for both the public and therapists.

it will take about an hour and afterwards you'll have the tools you need to toss your depression out the window within about a week's time.
>>
>>16989911
>I recently came to the conclusion that I am depressed
Are you a doctor?
No.
You can't know if you're depressed, see a doctor or put the thought out of your head -- it doesn't help.

>I don't think I can fix this through meditation or mindfulness
You're right, see a doctor.
>>
>>16989979

in his defense, a doctor does just an educated guess, but most of the 'syomptoms' of depression are often the causes. and when they treat them as symptoms with medication they dont address the problem.

but yeah, OP is a tool for 'coming to the conclusion' too. seriously OP if you are serious see a therapist to find out what is wrong. dont go to pills til last resort .
>>
>>16989979
Not OP, but does it have to be a therapist or just any doctor that can diagnose me?
>>
>>16989911This is a chemical imbalance. Listen, don't take the drugs they only turn you into a zombie. Here's what you do---> sex, and lots of it. Helps with hormones, and well being. It is also considered exercise. I shall lift your chakra to the eternal beings.
>>
There are two kinds of depression, my friend. There's the kind caused by a bad life or situation, which resolves when the situation is resolved. But there's also depression caused by chemical imbalance. Your brain essentially doesn't have the same capability for happiness. A good life won't fix it any more than a good life would fix a hormonal imbalance or type 1 diabetes.
I've seen both in action. There's things you can do to help (enough sleep, enough exercise, enough sunlight, financial security, a healthy social life, good food, personal fulfillment), but if you have the chemical imbalance, this will usually only take the edge off. Most chemical imbalance cases need medication.

Talk to a doctor, and get a diagnosis. If they want you to try medication, listen to them. Discuss the options, try one and see if it works. If it doesn't or if you have side effects you hate, keep trying until you find one that works for you.

There's no shame in this. What's the point in suffering needlessly, when we have the means to fix the problem. You don't shame someone for needing insulin or needing glasses or needing hormones. If you need it, you need it. End of story.
>>
>>16990270
I would also like to add that we are learning more and more about how brains work, and newer and better medicines are being developed all the time.

There's a lot of older treatments out there with more or harsher side effects (such as the "zombie" someone mentioned above, or reducing sex drive. But in the past few years, more medicines have been approved that don't have those side effects.

Regardless, talk to a professional about this. They can give you extremely thorough information, much moreso than a message board can. They are up to date in new medicines and can inform you of all effects and side effects and help you make an informed choice.
>>
>>16989911
what kind of meditation have you been practicing ?
>>
>>16989911
Like other anons have said, see a psychiatrist. This is literally why they exist as a profession. Also see >>16990270 >>16990290, they're right.

>>16990219
Depends on the law in your area. Psychiatrists are usually doctors (ie they went to medical school and got an M.D. just like all the other doctors you interact with), and always have the ability to give diagnoses and prescribe medication.

Psychologists are usually not doctors, and may or may not have the ability to apply diagnoses (in this case, for insurance so that they pay for the treatment properly). They usually don't have the ability to prescribe meds.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.